International 1086 electrical failure

Help Support CattleToday:

lmp570

Reaction score
ive lost all power in the cab of my 1086. the a/c is gone, no pto or engine rpm display, no lights etc... im by no means an electrician but could anybody point me in the direction i may begin trying to troubleshoot? thanks.

I would guess that you have lost power to the fuse box it has been so long since I worked on and Int that I don't remember exactly how they are wired
I had a couple of JDs that would do this and the gang plug going to the cab had came loose so I had to remove it and replace a couple of plugs that had arced

First of all I am assuming your 1086 is about the same as my 1486 and if so, the fuse compartment is located directly below the instrument cluster, in the center, near the platform floor. The cover has several screws holding it on.

On mine the fuse clips have gotten loose over the years and the fuses don't always make good contact and I loose power to one circuit or another.

Again, on mine, the primary power comes from a connection to one of the batteries (on the right hand side, I think). I have pulled the wire loose before and lost all power and another time the wire connection corroded off.

If you don't find the problem at either of these two places the next step would be to pull the instrument cluster out and look for broken wire terminals. These are pretty simple fixes so don't be intimidated with the electricity. If you need any more help I'll walk you through it.

I have an 886 and there is a power solenoid below and to the right of the fuse panel on mine. Mine went out and knocked all the elec power out. I just wired across it temporarly. Need to replace it though.

Latest posts