Interesting?

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Today was the first time we have ever had to pull a calf. The whole experiance was very interesting. Comments are very welcome. Not sure if what I did was right.

The mother, lost her calf durring labor last year due to us listening to a supposid cattleman. We should have pulled it was what the vet came up with after doing the necropsy. However, we had a previous mom sluff her calf a week earlier and we had bought a holstein baby from a dairy to put on her. She went crazy and jumped a bunch of fences and pannels and ended up growing wheels.
When this mother lost her calf we got her to take the 3wk old holstein and she raised it to wean weight no problem. Figured that was the end of it.
For the last week I have been watching her, frightened of screwing up again. Night and day. Minor contractions here and there nothing big. The usual.
Last nite about 2:30am she started having contractions more regularly. I watched her for hours wondering when is the time to get in there and check what is happening. The contractions got closer together and still she wasn't really trying to push it out.
At 6:00am I put her in the squeeze and went in for a feel. The most awsome experiance. The baby was in the normal dive position with its head between it's legs. It's feet were about 3 inches from the "Exit". All is well I though.
7:00 She still hadn't done anything. No feet showing, nothing. Last year she was doing this kind of thing from about 10:30 am to 6:00 am the following morning. Same thing though, nothing showing so didn't think I was supposed to go in and check. At 6:30am she delivered a dead calf.
I was always told to pull when you actually see feet but they don't come out.
All our moms always took care of themselves.. Guess your luck has to run out sometime. Our problems have always been getting them preg. not calving until last year.
So (back to now) I called the vet, and told him what had been happening and he told me to get in there quick and get the calf out. It may have been to late. So I went in, chains in hand, and the calf was gone. She was still fully dialated but it wasn't near the "exit". It had gone back into the belly.
I hooked the chains on and just started pulling. I ended up calling reinforcements and between the 2 of us we delivered a blue calf about 40#'s. The drop from mom into the squeeze and a little air from us and the calf started breathing. The mom however didn't even push on contractions.
We turned her loose and tryed to let her have her baby and she tried to smash it. Then she tried to smash all the pannels we have.
A few hours and a few "cocktails" (for her) later she was very mellow and finally passed the placenta. I swooped in grabbed the placenta and threw it on her calf. I also popped the fluid balls to get it all over the baby.
I went and hid and she started carring for her baby as if nothing had happened.
It appears as if she has decided that this is her calf and all is well.

However this is her last calf here. She will be growing wheels as soon as her baby is weaned.

So my question is: has anyone else had a cow do these things? The vet says that sometimes you get a cow with a screw loose who doesn't want to push when in labor.
And did I do what I was supposed to do?

I do know that I am going to invest in an actual calf puller!!! I am not strong enough to pull it out on my own. Let alone a large calf.

Double R

Ive only seen one that wouldnt push, it was like she never went into labor but her water broke. she just never ever started pushing. and i gave her ample time, let me assure you. wound up pulling a big bull calf and he lived.

generally after the water breaks if the feet dont appear pretty soon i go looking. usually they are already out with the water. Considering the previous circumstances i think you probably did the right thing. you didnt mention how long it was after her water broke that you dove in though?

The only thing I would have done differently would be to get a halter on her when she was in the chute, tie it to the outside and let her our of the cute to actaully pull the calf. If she went down in the chute it would have been a real mess.

dun

oh yeah good call, dun. i wasnt paying attention to that part. for sure dont pull one in the chute. in fact we dont even put ours in the chute, we have wooden gates on each side before the chute, with a sliding gate. run her up to the closed chute, close sliding gate behind her, and put a quick-release rope around her neck. then one of us goes in to see what the trouble is, gets feet situated and puts chains on, opens wooden gate and lets cow out. they almost always go down on their own for us. pull calf. get rope off cow and leave htem alone quick.

Beefy":1o728glx said:
you didnt mention how long it was after her water broke that you dove in though?

Her water never broke. Last year her water broke when the calf finally came out. (together) That was the other reason I didn't check her last year is I kept watching for her water to break and it didn't happen til the calf (dead) came out.
This year I broke it when I was pulling the calf out. the calf was basically coming out when I checked and still no water breaking.
Maybe that is part of her problem?
Somethings not working right I think.

Double R

dun":13o6ytju said:
The only thing I would have done differently would be to get a halter on her when she was in the chute, tie it to the outside and let her our of the cute to actaully pull the calf. If she went down in the chute it would have been a real mess.

dun
We thought of that but the way she was acting we were afraid she would kill herself. She was trying to jump pannels and crash gates. We figured if she went down we would pop the side door and she would roll out.
Thanks,
Its nice to know I wasn't thinking crazy.

Beefy":2jrw6mds said:
Ive only seen one that wouldnt push, it was like she never went into labor but her water broke. she just never ever started pushing. and i gave her ample time, let me assure you. wound up pulling a big bull calf and he lived.

generally after the water breaks if the feet dont appear pretty soon i go looking. usually they are already out with the water. Considering the previous circumstances i think you probably did the right thing. you didnt mention how long it was after her water broke that you dove in though?

We've had two that wouldn't push - a mother and daughter - both had to be pulled because they wouldn't deliver. Neither of them are here today. Dun has a very valid point about the chute if the cow had gone down. I made that mistake with the sweep tub gate and the two year old daughter mentioned above, I knew better than to put her in the chute, but very nearly screwed up with the sweep tub gate. She went down, but we were fortunate enough to be able to get the gate open and avoid a wreck.

you may have jumped the gun. or maybe not. either way, you got a live calf.

some cows just need some space. if they know you are watching them alot of the time they will stop what they are doing. a watched pot...

i like to watch mine calve. so i can monitor progress. i try to stay a respectable distance away but sometimes i have to leave so i dont interfere.

Just to clairify. We had her in the chute opened as wide as it will go with the headgate set so she could lay down and we would just open the headgate. We mainly put her in there to hold her head.
With that said, I plan on getting something like beefy was talking about set up this year so in the future we can do it that way. It would have been interesting doing that with this cow. One would have thought she had never been handled or seen people before the way she was tearing stuff up. (including her self)

Double R

Thanks for the comments and help!!!!!

Beefy":1se9e999 said:
you may have jumped the gun. or maybe not. either way, you got a live calf.

some cows just need some space. if they know you are watching them alot of the time they will stop what they are doing. a watched pot...

i like to watch mine calve. so i can monitor progress. i try to stay a respectable distance away but sometimes i have to leave so i dont interfere.

I agree. I move the soon to be moms up to the pasture infront of my kitchen window so I can watch from the house. That seems to work better for the mothers. I can watch and they feel alone.

Thanks
Double R

Sheesh.
Been working for the last hour to get pics of the calf on photobucket.

Here they are.
What do you all think?

100_1887.jpg

100_1888.jpg

i think you stole my water trough! :stop: thief!

nice calf.

Photobucket is a nemesis of mine.

Beefy":3uyjh0v6 said:
i think you stole my water trough! :stop: thief!

nice calf.

Photobucket is a nemesis of mine.

It's mine. All mine. You can't have it!!! :p
:lol:
Thanks for all the help!

Dbl R

awaaaaaaa what a nice baby! glad it all worked out for you,i see you have your calf lot made from round pen panels. is that right?if so do thay stay put pretty good, do you peg them down ,or they hook to geather and stablelize them self with the wt?. think of getting some for a round pen to work my young mules, and make a cattle coral. if thay would work that would be great. hard to set post in solid rock, we have to use a commercial jack hammer to drill for fence post[ that we borrow from a grave digging co..good to have contacts LOL thanks. glad your baby and mom are doing fine...Congrats! Rose :cboy:

Nice calf. Sure makes you feel you've accomplished something when it all turns out right, doesn't it. Nothing like getting hands on experience and a healthy baby at the same time. Congrats on a job well done!

Glad baby is alive and well and a real cute one too.:)

We've had one cow that didn't push. The story never ended as nicely though. She was an older cow had lots of calves with no problems, never had an assist and always healthy. My mother saw her at night going to her normal calving spot. So she watched her carefully through the night. There was no sign of labour although the cow was uncomfortable with the tail up. The next day the cow still had the tail up and got that stressed "I'm going to have a calf" look in her eyes and yet there was nothing. So my mother phoned our vet and took the cow in to him. He performed a caesarean and the calf was deformed. The head was massive and the thing was still alive. It was killed right then. The vet told us it would never happen again, that it was nothing we did and the cow wouldn't have the problem in the future. We did keep the cow and the rest of her calves were fine. She left when she was about 16.

brownmule":eiviy0l2 said:
awaaaaaaa what a nice baby! glad it all worked out for you,i see you have your calf lot made from round pen panels. is that right?if so do thay stay put pretty good, do you peg them down ,or they hook to geather and stablelize them self with the wt?. think of getting some for a round pen to work my young mules, and make a cattle coral. if thay would work that would be great. hard to set post in solid rock, we have to use a commercial jack hammer to drill for fence post[ that we borrow from a grave digging co..good to have contacts LOL thanks. glad your baby and mom are doing fine...Congrats! Rose :cboy:

Here are some pics of my pannels. They are Hi-Qual pannels and they are hooked together with a loop hook set up
100_1928.jpg

Front view of the latches
100_1929.jpg

Back View of the latches
so that they can not be torn apart by lifting or slamming into them.
We did have a cow last year try to climb out of them and we stuch a small jack between the rails and moved them back. You can not even see where the damage was done.

They are all purpose pannels, I have some pannels that they call the heavy duty pannels that I use for leading into the "tub" where they are pushing hard on them.

100_1930.jpg

Hope this helps.
I use them for my hogs and cows and horses.
DBL R

P.s. I tried to get the pics smaller and finally gave up. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Sorry

Latest posts