interesting observation, grass vs. corn

Help Support CattleToday:

NMVaquero

Reaction score
We did our branding this last weekend, rope and drag to the fire.
I am always on the calf wrestling team since they think I am big and strong lol

Anyhow, we have approximately 20 calves that are on grass and another 80 or so on corn silage supplemented with hay.

Without a doubt, the corn fed calves are slower, weaker, and lazier than the grass fed calves.
The size difference at this point is negligible.

NMVaquero":20zotoqr said:

Anyhow, we have approximately 20 calves that are on grass and another 80 or so on corn silage supplemented with hay.

Without a doubt, the corn fed calves are slower, weaker, and lazier than the grass fed calves.

Being your in NM those corn fed calves were probably "fuller" too. Time will take care of the difference. They may never be as fast or as strong but that's not the end goal either unless you're raising roping steers.

TexasBred":3uouy1xy said:
NMVaquero":3uouy1xy said:

Anyhow, we have approximately 20 calves that are on grass and another 80 or so on corn silage supplemented with hay. Rr

Being your in NM those corn fed calves were probably "fuller" too. Time will take care of the difference. They may never be as fast or as strong but that's not the end goal either unless you're raising roping steers.

No, these 20 were in irrigated green pasture.
To me, stronger and faster is a sign of health.
They will all be sent through an ultrasound test this fall to test for marbling and tenderness. I will be very interested to see the results of that test.
Based on previous years, the grass fed are still tender, marbled, and tasty (our customers agree). This is our first experience with corn feeding out of necessity.

NMVaquero":3g7y4jqj said:
[q
They will all be sent through an ultrasound test this fall to test for marbling and tenderness. I will be very interested to see the results of that test.
Based on previous years, the grass fed are still tender, marbled, and tasty (our customers agree). This is our first experience with corn feeding out of necessity.

Just don't expect too much on those grass fed guys. But if you can get more money for them selling them as grass fed I'd certainly do it.

The grass Feds may be walking more per day. Ie in better physical condition. I know Ive put a few up on full feed over the years to eat. They'd get pretty winded if they got out, and I had to run them.

TexasBred":1vlrjsyn said:
NMVaquero":1vlrjsyn said:
[q

Just don't expect too much on those grass fed guys. But if you can get more money for them selling them as grass fed I'd certainly do it.

My primary market is the health nuts who want a quality organic beef.
They make money.
I think it is odd how many of you are concerned that a grass fed steer won't bring as much as a corn fed. ???

Usually our steers top the market.

Bigfoot":3ct6iu43 said:
The grass Feds may be walking more per day. Ie in better physical condition. I know Ive put a few up on full feed over the years to eat. They'd get pretty winded if they got out, and I had to run them.

Good point. They certainly don't travel for feed.

NMVaquero":1f3z7mdj said:
My primary market is the health nuts who want a quality organic beef.
They make money.
I think it is odd how many of you are concerned that a grass fed steer won't bring as much as a corn fed. ???

Usually our steers top the market.

A good steer will always top the market regardless of what it's fed. The quality is there regardless of how much fat cover it has at that stage.

Around here the bloomier calves NEVER top the market. The calves that look like they could carry some more weight ALWAYS top the market!

Do you have buyers coming from a specific grassfed program buying your calves at the sale or are you finishing them yourself?

3waycross":33y1nq1x said:
Around here the bloomier calves NEVER top the market. The calves that look like they could carry some more weight ALWAYS top the market!

Do you have buyers coming from a specific grassfed program buying your calves at the sale or are you finishing them yourself?

Both.
We finish ourselves for private sales and a grocery store chain.
We also sell to another group, Co-op grass sales.

Latest posts