Interesting Beretta observation

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I had a few pumpkins sitting around about to go bad so I decided to break out the old, when I say old I mean early 1980's, Beretta 92F and get in a few rounds of practice. I emptied a 15 round magazine into the largest pumpkin. When I went to pick up the brass I found that 12 of the 15 empties were in a neat pile on the ground. I could pick all 12 up at the same time. The other 3 empties were less than 6" from the other 12. I thought that this had to be a fluke so I shot another 15 rounds at the next pumpkin and the results were very close to the same. 13 of 15 empties were in a nice, neat pile and the other 2 were within a few inches. I have never seen a pistol eject empties as consistant as this one. I have shot hundreds of rounds through this Beretta and never noticed this. Probably because I usually shoot 2 or 3 shots and then switch to another target and spreading the brass out over a wider area. This pistol is so accurate it is scary. I own or have have owned several other 9mm's and have not been overly impressed but this one is an exception. I am a .40 S&W or .45 ACP guy but I would carry this one if it weren't so bulky for concealed carry. I thought it was strange enough to share. Anybody else have a gun that does this?

Not that but I picked up a Savage Stevens .223 at the gunstore last week. The barrel inside looked like 40miles of bad road. Unfired but the worst tooling marks I have EVER seen in a new Stevens and I have probably scoped over a hundred of them.
I figured I had nothing to lose since I bought it essentially as a donor rifle so I hand lapped the bore for a couple of hours with lapping compound 400 thru 1200 grit.
It is now as smoothe as a babies tush so I take it out monday and after I got it zeroed I shot a .48 group with it(5shots). So much for my new donor rifle. Now I have to spend 20 hours or so making it into something I don't mind being seen with.

If I get a wild hair I may do a start to finish thread on here showing all the improvements. Very few of which will make it shoot better.

HOSS":2bnlr6lz said:
I had a few pumpkins sitting around about to go bad so I decided to break out the old, when I say old I mean early 1980's, Beretta 92F and get in a few rounds of practice. I emptied a 15 round magazine into the largest pumpkin. When I went to pick up the brass I found that 12 of the 15 empties were in a neat pile on the ground. I could pick all 12 up at the same time. The other 3 empties were less than 6" from the other 12. I thought that this had to be a fluke so I shot another 15 rounds at the next pumpkin and the results were very close to the same. 13 of 15 empties were in a nice, neat pile and the other 2 were within a few inches. I have never seen a pistol eject empties as consistant as this one. I have shot hundreds of rounds through this Beretta and never noticed this. Probably because I usually shoot 2 or 3 shots and then switch to another target and spreading the brass out over a wider area. This pistol is so accurate it is scary. I own or have have owned several other 9mm's and have not been overly impressed but this one is an exception. I am a .40 S&W or .45 ACP guy but I would carry this one if it weren't so bulky for concealed carry. I thought it was strange enough to share. Anybody else have a gun that does this?
Sig 226 does the same thing, makes it handy at the range.

3waycross":3klwgpsb said:
Not that but I picked up a Savage Stevens .223 at the gunstore last week. The barrel inside looked like 40miles of bad road. Unfired but the worst tooling marks I have EVER seen in a new Stevens and I have probably scoped over a hundred of them.
I figured I had nothing to lose since I bought it essentially as a donor rifle so I hand lapped the bore for a couple of hours with lapping compound 400 thru 1200 grit.
It is now as smoothe as a babies tush so I take it out monday and after I got it zeroed I shot a .48 group with it(5shots). So much for my new donor rifle. Now I have to spend 20 hours or so making it into something I don't mind being seen with.

If I get a wild hair I may do a start to finish thread on here showing all the improvements. Very few of which will make it shoot better.

3way, in my experience Savage has usually produced glass smooth barrels. Maybe their tooling is getting worn. Their actions feel very "clunky" to me and their triggers usually suck. I am a Remington 700 guy and have found their barrels to be rough as a cob but the actions slick and smooth and the triggers (usually) pretty decent out of the box and consistant on adjustments. Once the barrels are broke in (I use the shoot / clean over and over method) they will almost all shoot MOA in just about any caliber.

That being said I am hearing good things about the Savage Accutrigger. On my varmint rifles the factory trigger comes out and a Timney or Jewel goes in.

Definetley post some pictures.

Savage was the rirst company to come out with an improved trigger system, the Accu-trigger. That is as smooth, slick and was the best trigger available for years. Now all of the other companys have come out with thir version of it and almost all of the triggers have been improved. I made a lot of money when I had the gunshop installing after market triggers in Remingtons, Winchesters and Rugers. The last new rifle I bought was a Savage and it's trigger is as good or better then the after market ones. Friend of mine bought a Remington a couple of months ago, a Model 799 I think it was. The trigger breaks clean with no over travel but it can;t be adjusted below about 10 pounds. I've still got a couple of Remingtons and Winchesters with aftermarket triggers and really like them. Sold the Savage because it was the poorest shooting Savage I've shjot in years. I never could get it to shoot under and inch no matter what I tried, never had that trouble with any other Savage except for an old M99 in .308

HOSS":kqxhy2xq said:
3waycross":kqxhy2xq said:

3way, in my experience Savage has usually produced glass smooth barrels. Maybe their tooling is getting worn. Their actions feel very "clunky" to me and their triggers usually suck. I am a Remington 700 guy and have found their barrels to be rough as a cob but the actions slick and smooth and the triggers (usually) pretty decent out of the box and consistant on adjustments. Once the barrels are broke in (I use the shoot / clean over and over method) they will almost all shoot MOA in just about any caliber.

That being said I am hearing good things about the Savage Accutrigger. On my varmint rifles the factory trigger comes out and a Timney or Jewel goes in.

Definetley post some pictures.

I forgot to mention that this rifle sold for $250 NEW! That is why it's so amazing. I won't argue the merits of Rem vs Savage but one thing worth noting is the Savage floating bolt head. For my money it is at least 75% of the reason they shoot as well as they do. I have to tell you, my gunsmith who is a certified curmudgeon and a Rem lover of the highest degree admits that the Remington action is nothing but a tempered "Gas Pipe" that's threaded on both ends.LOL

BTW If you owned a bore scope you wouldn't think any Savage barrel was ever smooth as glass, they are all rough. FWIW the only really smooth barrels from the factory are those with cut rifling or hammer forged. All button rifled barrels will show tooling marks to some degree!

I am in no way a Savage expert as my experience with them is somewhat limited. I do own a Model 112 slug gun that is actually a bolt action rifle with a huge bore. It shoots exceptionally well with just about any sabot slug. I have been feeding it Lightfield Hybrids or Hornady SST's. It will shoot under 2" off of a bench at 100 yards if I do my part. Which I don't always do because it has a tendency to kick the everloving snot out of me :shock: The trigger is not great but I can deal with it. I had to cut the synthetic stock down 1" to make it fit better.

I have several Mod 700's. I have yet to buy one that wouldn't shoot MOA with the right ammo irrevelant of caliber. I admit that I don't buy calibers that are not known for being accurate or the really big bores like the .375 where MOA accuracy is not as big of a concern as mudhole stomping power. I do have my eye on a stainless steel Savage, heavy barrel bolt action in .17 HMR with the Accutrigger, laminated thumbhole stock and fluted barrel. I may axe Sandy Claws for one but my Sandy Claws has made it clear that "she" thinks I have too many guns already. To me that is kinda like having too much money or too much luck................no such thing :mrgreen:

HOSS":fpw0s4qh said:
I am in no way a Savage expert as my experience with them is somewhat limited. I do own a Model 112 slug gun that is actually a bolt action rifle with a huge bore. It shoots exceptionally well with just about any sabot slug. I have been feeding it Lightfield Hybrids or Hornady SST's. It will shoot under 2" off of a bench at 100 yards if I do my part. Which I don't always do because it has a tendency to kick the everloving snot out of me :shock: The trigger is not great but I can deal with it. I had to cut the synthetic stock down 1" to make it fit better.

I have several Mod 700's. I have yet to buy one that wouldn't shoot MOA with the right ammo irrevelant of caliber. I admit that I don't buy calibers that are not known for being accurate or the really big bores like the .375 where MOA accuracy is not as big of a concern as mudhole stomping power. I do have my eye on a stainless steel Savage, heavy barrel bolt action in .17 HMR with the Accutrigger, laminated thumbhole stock and fluted barrel. I may axe Sandy Claws for one but my Sandy Claws has made it clear that "she" thinks I have too many guns already. To me that is kinda like having too much money or too much luck................no such thing :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJcw4yoIseo

HOSS":3o3fqssu said:

Sounds like a nice girl but a little misguided. You are working this the wrong way. The reason the birth of a male child is so important is that from that day forward his Momma cannot say no to him or anything he REALLY NEEDS. Now you may not need a sweet little 17HMR(and that is a really sweet one) but little Hoss REALLY NEEDS one to learn to shoot with and you NEED to knock the kinks out of it ASAP so that it will be ready for him to shoot SOON. ANY QUESTIONS GRASSHOPPER? You just need to come to old guys like me and Dun for adivce on important matters like this.
The other thing you need to know is the "How Many Guns" gambit. You get together with a buddy and swap back and forth for a few months till she loses track of "How many guns" you really own! Keep in mind this is not to be deceitful just to relieve her of one more meaningless task(counting yore guns) so that she can do the really important things like shop the Victoria's Secret catalogue, and cook you and little Hoss delicious meals ,iron your clothes, and keep a nice neat house!. :cowboy:

3waycross":3qgxyf73 said:
HOSS":3qgxyf73 said:

Sounds like a nice girl but a little misguided. You are working this the wrong way. The reason the birth of a male child is so important is that from that day forward his Momma cannot say no to him or anything he REALLY NEEDS. Now you may not need a sweet little 17HMR(and that is a really sweet one) but little Hoss REALLY NEEDS one to learn to shoot with and you NEED to knock the kinks out of it ASAP so that it will be ready for him to shoot SOON. ANY QUESTIONS GRASSHOPPER? You just need to come to old guys like me and Dun for adivce on important matters like this.
The other thing you need to know is the "How Many Guns" gambit. You get together with a buddy and swap back and forth for a few months till she loses track of "How many guns" you really own! Keep in mind this is not to be deceitful just to relieve her of one more meaningless task(counting yore guns) so that she can do the really important things like shop the Victoria's Secret catalogue, and cook you and little Hoss delicious meals ,iron your clothes, and keep a nice neat house!. :cowboy:

I've used that one on two .22's and a .410 so far. I'm going to have to come up with a new twist on it. Maybe tell her it is the next step up to a big game rifle and it is a must have for Little Hoss before he can move up to a .243 :mrgreen:

I don't have any buddies that I would trust with my guns........some might get conveniently "lost".

As for the rest of your reply I'm going to set back and watch the fireworks fly ;-) Well I think I am going to grab my :drink: and go :hide: just in case it gets dangerous :mrgreen: :cowboy:

After a while and before they just give up they'll come up with variations on the theme. Mine came up with :to buy a gun you have to sell a gun" so I started getting contender barrels, she caught on to that and said "to get a barrel OR buy a gun I had to sell one". So, I started building them from raw actions. At that point she finally gave up.

dun":3ipsndcf said:
After a while and before they just give up they'll come up with variations on the theme. Mine came up with :to buy a gun you have to sell a gun" so I started getting contender barrels, she caught on to that and said "to get a barrel OR buy a gun I had to sell one". So, I started building them from raw actions. At that point she finally gave up.

MY MAN! :tiphat:

It's amazing how our lives parallel each other! :)