Interest rates?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jim62

Reaction score
Interesting how the stock market influences fuel prices and other things financial.

Seems that a down market meant higher interest rates back in the day. I have a couple CDs that are making nearly nothing right now, and are up for renewal. Suppose a short term or long would be the way to go? If the rates are to go up in the short term, I'd hate to have the low rates locked in for 5 years or so.

I know that stocks are at bargain basement levels right now, and would be the way to go generally. If I was 30 years old, I'd jump all over that deal.

But, I ain't.......... :tiphat:

Looks to me like you have to find a bank than needs deposits that are paying a "higher" rate than those that don't have to pay up to buy your money. Keep it short term for now. Fed rate is 1/4%, not much room for rates to go down so up is the only other direction to move. Runaway inflation is just around the corner so rates will have to move up soon.

Check out the I-Bond at Treasury Direct. http://treasurydirect.gov/indiv/product ... glance.htm I cashed out of some several years back when the banks were paying 4% more than they were. Started putting back in. Hindsight is 20-20 ain't it.

Corporate bonds have made a nice move but I'd be carefull about buying them right now.

Jim62":vfsvjxxz said:
I have a couple CDs that are making nearly nothing right now, and are up for renewal. Suppose a short term or long would be the way to go? If the rates are to go up in the short term, I'd hate to have the low rates locked in for 5 years or so.

Check the difference between rates paid for a savings account and a CD. If they get those printing presses going like crazy, and it looks as tho they will, Nova is on the money. If you aren't losing much going to a savings account, you might consider it. Or you could pay the penalty for early withdrawal.

I would definitely stay short term. Things are just too volatile to invest long term at this point.

We shopped some CD rates back in late Sept early Oct. and set up a 5 year ladder maturity system with banks offering the best rates. Seems like we ranged from 4% short term to 5.25% for the 5 year. I thought and still do we did OK considering what happened.

Banks don't even trust other banks. They don't know what each other has on their books. They are scared the other bank may be holding the wrong side of a derivative trade. There are tons of cash on the sidelines with no where to go. That is why treasury bills almost hit zero percent not too long ago...people just wanted their principal back and didn't care as much about interest or dividends, etc.

I had considered moving mine, too, but I'm afraid that it might force the bank to shut down. Wouldn't want something like that on my conscience. :lol:

Been through losing almost everything but my a$$ in the market a couple times already, and time is too short for that now. I'm all about salvaging the principle, at least, but a little interest to go with it would be nice. I'm leaning heavily toward staying short-term as possible. Things have got to get better soon.

Don't they................. ?? :dunce:

Jim62":31ibjte9 said:
I had considered moving mine, too, but I'm afraid that it might force the bank to shut down. Wouldn't want something like that on my conscience. :lol:

Been through losing almost everything but my a$$ in the market a couple times already, and time is too short for that now. I'm all about salvaging the principle, at least, but a little interest to go with it would be nice. I'm leaning heavily toward staying short-term as possible. Things have got to get better soon.

Don't they................. ?? :dunce:
Yep. Things have gotten better every presidential election since '88. :kid: Got a new congress and P Elect that is working hard to fix all that is broken. :lol2: If you don't believe me, just listen to them tell me what I just told you. :help: :cry2:

I ain't doing nothing til I get my check in the mail from all that wealth spreadin'. Then I'm going down to the local ice house and buy a couple of rounds for the house. :nod: :nod:

TexasBred":2mjssu7p said:
I ain't doing nothing til I get my check in the mail from all that wealth spreadin'. Then I'm going down to the local ice house and buy a couple of rounds for the house. :nod: :nod:

Have not heard anyone use the word (ice house) in years, maybe 50 years. :eek:

Use to get a block of ice from the ice house for the ice box.

Bet they still have plenty of them around Rocksprings, Kerrville, San Antone and there abouts. Nice place to hang your hat and sit a spell.

Latest posts