interbreeding

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

If I was to keep the calves them being heifers from my three cows. Would it hurt to breed them with the same bull that fathered them? Or if one of the cows have a bull would it hurt to interbreed with him? Also how long should one wait years to breed heifers?

I'm personally not a big fan of in/linebreeding unless you have a lot of experience, the top half dozen bulls of a breed, and the eye/willingness/ability to cull mercilessly. Heifers should be bred at around 15 months to calf as two year olds. Some breeds don't reach puberty at that age, typically Brahman and some of the continental breeds. Many of those breeds are held to calf at three years old, if only to keep them in the same calving cycle as everything else. That way you don't end up calving all year long or in a time frame that doesn't work under your managment.

dunmovin farms

> If I was to keep the calves them
> being heifers from my three cows.
> Would it hurt to breed them with
> the same bull that fathered them?
> Or if one of the cows have a bull
> would it hurt to interbreed with
> him? Also how long should one wait
> years to breed heifers?

I breed back once, meaning I breed a bull back to his daughter, without any problems and usually have better calves than I can buy at the auction. I don't breed back to her heifer (his grand-daugter if you will). I don't breed him with his grand-daughters because of the problems associated with them being to close in blood. I usually switch bulls every 3 years or so to be sure not to get into any problems.

Latest posts