insurance ?

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlepower

Reaction score
I have been contacted by a man who might want me to work on his poultry/cattle farm full time. It does include a housing allowance but no insurance. I'm married and have three children and need advice on where to get my own private insurance that isn't so expensive. Or should I try and talk him into providing insurance also? Thanks in advance.

cattlepower":231qczmf said:
I have been contacted by a man who might want me to work on his poultry/cattle farm full time. It does include a housing allowance but no insurance. I'm married and have three children and need advice on where to get my own private insurance that isn't so expensive. Or should I try and talk him into providing insurance also? Thanks in advance.

If your wife is employed can you get family insurance on your wife's policy?

I can get insurance through my wife's work. But one of the reasons for considering this is so she can possibly not have to work. But obviously we need to figure out the insurance part first.

cattlepower":32waja99 said:
I can get insurance through my wife's work. But one of the reasons for considering this is so she can possibly not have to work. But obviously we need to figure out the insurance part first.

Depending up a couple of variables, it could be cheaper for your family to get a nanny (and a chaufeur) since you have five people in your family.

I know insurance can be crazy expensive but there also must be a bunch of options. Maybe something like a group plan that my employer and me can be on?

cattlepower":jnnp1stc said:
I know insurance can be crazy expensive but there also must be a bunch of options. Maybe something like a group plan that my employer and me can be on?

I sure wouldn't tick your employer off. How many employees does your employer have?

Around here [TN] Farm Bureau has the best deal.It has a lot to do with age and medical history.
If you have high blood pressure or heart problems they will not talk to you about health insurance.

Mat Man":3dzrimnr said:
Around here [TN] Farm Bureau has the best deal.

That's what I was going to suggest. Farm Bureau (Va.) has a plan for those that do not have insurance with their employer. It wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Katherine

No such thing as cheap medical insurance. Even employer provided plans are expensive, most people just don't know it. If you or your wife currently has insurance thru an employer, it will be easier to be accepted into a group plan, you just have to find one. Check around, most major insurance companies offer group plans. Farm Bureau has already been mentioned. Check with your local hospital or the largest one near you, some have group plans you can get on with.

My advice is to be sure you have on in place before you drop your current one. And don't expect to find a cheap family plan. However, if you choose a higher deductable plan (one where you pay more expense out of pocket) the plan will cost less, (you just might have to think twice about running to the doctor every time someone sneezes.) Insurance should not be thought of as a free medical care but it needs to be their for major medical events.

HerefordSire":1mqsx8zk said:
cattlepower":1mqsx8zk said:

I sure wouldn't tick your employer off. How many employees does your employer have?

He is not my employer yet, this will most likely be one of the sticking points that we'll have to work through.

1982vett is right, there is no cheap health insurance. My wife works at her family's business and they offer health insurance to their employees. Probably around 10-12 employees. A family plan runs between $500 and $600 a month depending on age and number of people in the family. I carry our health insurance where I work. I can get it cheaper than she can but I work for a large national corporation. Good luck with your negotiations. I hope you can get insurance. :nod:

cattlepower":2c5yl5bt said:
HerefordSire":2c5yl5bt said:
cattlepower":2c5yl5bt said:

He is not my employer yet, this will most likely be one of the sticking points that we'll have to work through.

How many employees does your future employer have including you if you agree?

Unless he can wrangle you onto his business plan(IF he has one) He really has nothing to offer you better than what you can get on your own - just get your own and it will travel with you.

cattlepower":2d4sk8pd said:
On the farm it would just be me but he also owns a store with 9 or 10 employees. I don't know if he offers insurance to them or not.

Find out and get back before you act but I wouldn't ask your prospective employer...I would ask one of his other workers if they are covered and if so, a ballpark price of what prices are.

HerefordSire":wsicpcjf said:
cattlepower":wsicpcjf said:
On the farm it would just be me but he also owns a store with 9 or 10 employees. I don't know if he offers insurance to them or not.

Find out and get back before you act but I wouldn't ask your prospective employer...I would ask one of his other workers if they are covered and if so, a ballpark price of what prices are.

I respectfully disagree with this approach. Health insurance is an extremely important part of a job. Since you are married with three children and probably want your wife to be able to stay at home and care for the kids, I think you should have a straight talk with your prospective employer.

And if you can't have a straight talk with your prospective employer then you should not be working for him. Asking questions about insurance behind his back is sure to get back to him and just not the way to have a relationship of trust with a new employer.

It is really none of your business whether or not the employer provides insurance for his other employees or not. Focus on your needs and how you can help meet your employer's needs, IF he will help meet yours.

Tell him that insurance is very important to you and that you need insurance to take the job, even if you have to pay part of the premiums which most employees do these days.

Most of all, if you are taking a job which includes housing and relocating your family, it is not something you want to be doing very often. I would not take the job unless the prospective employer is a person you can talk to face to face and express your feelings and needs.

You don't say if you are working somewhere else now. If you are I would NOT quit your current job until you have a written offer from the new employer which includes insurance. And make sure your offer is in writing.

If the prospective employer refuses to supply group insurance or a written offer I would suggest you look elsewhere for a job.

Another approach is to get a price quote on family health insurance from say Farm Bureau and show the quote to your propective employer and ask if he will cover half of the premiums or something like that. However an employer sponsored group plan is almost always overall less expensive than an individual plan. You may be shocked to see the real cost of insurance for a family of 5 even with a high (1,000.?) annual family deductible.

Good employees like you are hard to find. If he wants you and he knows your needs, a good employer will try to help meet them, at least to meet you part way (copayment of premiums). I would not rush into this in your family situation. And don't let your family spend one hour without health insurance coverage of some sort.

Don't be in a rush, health insurance and moving your family is important. Good luck.

SRBeef":61mdrdns said:
HerefordSire":61mdrdns said:
cattlepower":61mdrdns said:

I respectfully disagree with this approach. Health insurance is an extremely important part of a job. Since you are married with three children and probably want your wife to be able to stay at home and care for the kids, I think you should have a straight talk with your prospective employer.

And if you can't have a straight talk with your prospective employer then you should not be working for him. Asking questions about insurance behind his back is sure to get back to him and just not the way to have a relationship of trust with a new employer.

It is really none of your business whether or not the employer provides insurance for his other employees or not. Focus on your needs and how you can help meet your employer's needs, IF he will help meet yours.

Tell him that insurance is very important to you and that you need insurance to take the job, even if you have to pay part of the premiums which most employees do these days.

Most of all, if you are taking a job which includes housing and relocating your family, it is not something you want to be doing very often. I would not take the job unless the prospective employer is a person you can talk to face to face and express your feelings and needs.

You don't say if you are working somewhere else now. If you are I would NOT quit your current job until you have a written offer from the new employer which includes insurance. And make sure your offer is in writing.

If the prospective employer refuses to supply group insurance or a written offer I would suggest you look elsewhere for a job.

Another approach is to get a price quote on family health insurance from say Farm Bureau and show the quote to your propective employer and ask if he will cover half of the premiums or something like that. However an employer sponsored group plan is almost always overall less expensive than an individual plan. You may be shocked to see the real cost of insurance for a family of 5 even with a high (1,000.?) annual family deductible.

Good employees like you are hard to find. If he wants you and he knows your needs, a good employer will try to help meet them, at least to meet you part way (copayment of premiums). I would not rush into this in your family situation. And don't let your family spend one hour without health insurance coverage of some sort.

Don't be in a rush, health insurance and moving your family is important. Good luck.

What you are referring to may be the next step. For now, he needs to gather all the information possible without letting his employer know (further than he already does) he is in a weak position. The national employment rate is 7.2% and expected to rise. Now is not the time to be choosey.

about being choosey...

I think as long as his wife is still working he does need to be choosey. Sure there are a lot of folks looking for work but not a lot of folks that can do a good job running an operation as described.

Slavery was abolished long ago. I employ a number of people and frankly I appreciate it when folks are straight with me about things, not afraid to talk about what's on their minds. Looking for a job is a negotiation - you need to show that you are worth providing health insurance for.

Good managers want thinking, concerned people working for them - these are people who will make your operation successful. They will get the job done and problem solved even though you are not there looking over their shoulder. Our pay scale is not the highest around but I provide extremely expensive health insurance for my employees, along with decent working conditions and respect for each other - and I think it helps to retain the good ones who appreciate it.

I hate to see people taking a job without insurance. Once you do that, especially in this case, it takes you out of the market if a job should turn up that does offer insurance.

If need be you do what you have to. But I hope we are not there quite yet. jmho.

I admire you and I wish we had more people like you. However, he already knows the job does not have insurance (see original post). He does not need to go back to ask again, until he finds out if his store empoyees are covered. With me?

Latest posts