Insurance quote rant, little help please

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
In a nut shell we had a elderly lady run into our business, she took out our wheel chair ramp. Had the adjuster out and she did all her measurements and figuring. I received the insurance company's estimate broken down......red flag she estimated the "Construction workers general labor" at $6.00 per hour!!!! Ahhhh..... Oregon minimum wage is $9.75 per hour.... how the he!! Can the adjuster come out of Portland and quote the estimate wage for construction at $6.00 per hour when the minimum wage is $9.75. Nightmare to follow dealing with insurance and getting my ramp covered... my agent gets called in the morning. Why do we live in this world? Pizzed off and a vent.....deal with it tomorrow.

if anyone was inside at the time i'd call them up and start telling them people are starting to get some neck pains and such.. if that estimate isn't getting padded a little more.

We are working with the insurance company right now on a house we have that the heating system failed and the pipes froze and broke. In Pennsylvania our insurer allows:
General Labor $32.83 hour
Carpenter 57.40 hour
Plumber 117.00 hour

I wonder what type of "General Labor Construction Worker" you could get for $6.00 per hour? That's insane.

ddd75":25kbjr7v said:
if anyone was inside at the time i'd call them up and start telling them people are starting to get some neck pains and such.. if that estimate isn't getting padded a little more.

Yeah, if they're saying $6.00 per hour for labor. Heck, for that price, see if anyone is looking for a farm job and ship them over to VA! :lol2:

greybeard":1znk5ljl said:
Why is your insurance paying for it and not her's?

We always deal with our insurance company and then they go and get the money for the persons insurance company that is at fault. We have a good working relationship with our insurer and for us anyway, it's easier to negotiate with our adjuster.

I would call them and ask politely if that may have been a typographical error on their part. When They say no, it was intentional, I would somewhat less politely inform them that I will be having my Independent Adjuster contact them to handle further negotiations. Then I would promptly go hire an Independent Adjuster. You can try your ins. agent, but you have a little less than a 50% chance that theyll be willing to do much to help. an Ind. Adj. is working for you only and will charge either a percentage or a flat fee to negotiate on your behalf. They should be able to get you enough to cover his/her fee plus enough to hire someone other than the low bidder to complete the job and cover all permits, etc.

Alan":119mu0b5 said:
In a nut shell we had a elderly lady run into our business, she took out our wheel chair ramp. Had the adjuster out and she did all her measurements and figuring. I received the insurance company's estimate broken down......red flag she estimated the "Construction workers general labor" at $6.00 per hour!!!! Ahhhh..... Oregon minimum wage is $9.75 per hour.... how the he!! Can the adjuster come out of Portland and quote the estimate wage for construction at $6.00 per hour when the minimum wage is $9.75. Nightmare to follow dealing with insurance and getting my ramp covered... my agent gets called in the morning. Why do we live in this world? Pizzed off and a vent.....deal with it tomorrow.

Your solution is to get an estimate from a construction contractor to replace the ramp

Thanks for all the replies, GB, hopefully it helps that both us and the lady who run into the building are insured with State Farm, you would think that will help. But I'm starting out in a cluster.

I have three contractors lined up to give estimates, but was waiting on the insurance estimate. I will be calling everyone I have been dealing with at State Farm today...... I think I'll inform them I feel the structural damage to my building is much worse then I thought, we need to get masons out to take a hard look at my cinder block wall and replace the cracked area of the aggregate finish over it.

I just shake my head at this kind of crap, it happens too often. I hope it's I typo, but I don't think so. A so called professional quotes a labor price allowed under the amount to be paid by law.

This is the part of structural damage I'm uneducated in and concerns me. Also pic of the ladies car

If it were my Mom, I'd hire a lawyer and sue you for not having the building painted "Caution Yellow" or Orange.
Some business owners... always trying to take advantage of the elderly. :)

Alan":2jp8kv1v said:
This is the part of structural damage I'm uneducated in and concerns me. Also pic of the ladies car

No offense to any of the contractors you are dealing with but I would suggest you hire either an Architect or Structural Engineer to advise you as to the damage caused to your building regarding this crack. Unfortunately when it comes to negotiating with State Farm you need the person with the paper hanging on the wall.

Alan":1bs2qqv2 said:
All that sanctuary labor in the blue states must be cheaper. :hide:

I would call her and politely ask her if she is trying to get you into trouble by advising you to hire people for less than minimum wage. Then I would tell her that you will send her estimates from licensed and bonded contractors (the best ones you can find) and if she is anything less than agreeable I would tell her that my lawyer would be contacting her and her company. Be polite, be professional, but also be uncompromising.

Typo! I called corporate office and they had a copy of the estimate to look at, a couple of calls by them and they called me back...should have been $61.59 per hour, but she reported $6 per hour... on my toes and loving this adventure...... not!

Alan":1tzpu6nt said:
Typo! I called corporate office and they had a copy of the estimate to look at, a couple of calls by them and they called me back...should have been $61.59 per hour, but she reported $6 per hour... on my toes and loving this adventure...... not!

gen labor over $60/hr?! I am in the wrong line of work. Several of 'em

Latest posts