Insurance on cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
I have heard of insurance to cover accidental death such as "lighting strike, getting stuck in mud "ect . I have a few questions . How expense is this type of insurance . Would it cover a leased bull ? My farm insurance covers liability but they dont offer this other type of coverage. If a person has this insurance is there a deductible to meet ? Would a vet have to sign off like a death cert. I know a lot of questions just thought I could get some info first hand . Thanks

The Farm Bureau has been great. There rates are based on the value of the cows. Don't know about a leased bull. We have no deductible. And yes a vet has to sign off on the cause death.

Cattle insurance is good, like house insurance. You buy it but hope to never have to use it.
Somethings to thing about are:
Single animal deductable vs a actual deductable. Higher the deductable the lower the premium. Too high and makes no sense to have insurance. To high of a premium makes it hard to pay other bills.
Single animal deductable means more than one animal has to die from the same cause.

All animals insurance claims have to by checked by a vet at your cost

Lastly, the premium is based on the amount you want to insure. The kicker is, you need to insure a minimum of 80% of the value your herd. The premis to that is if there is a claim, and you only insured day 50% of your herd, how will they decide what was insured or not.

We have cattle insurance. For us it makes good business practices because of what if...

Yes the bull could be insured but it wuuld have to be insured by the owner
that doesn't mean you could not be the one paying for the policy
American Livestock Insurers are about the best ones to go thru for single animal policies and they offer alot more protection than a livestock rider on your farm policy
they will cover if the bull just lays down and dies where most farm policies only cover for lightening, drowning and maybe strangulation (some companies DON't cover strangulation)

Curious as to what it cost per head a year? I never did pursue it as i thought it would cut the profits too much.