Insulators on barbed wire

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good way to put electric fence insulators on barbed wire?
The deer are shorting the fence out every night. I have 2" insulators on the posts but the deer still push it and it hooks on the barbed wire. I've wired some t-post insulators on the barbed wire it has helped but some times it turns over and shorts out anyway.
Thanks Jeff

Well I've never had to deal with this but just sitting here thinking about it I'd say you need to attach your insulators to 2x2 wood sections that reach 2 strands of barb wire so it won't twist so easily.

Or attach 2 inch pvc pipe sections in the same manner as above minus the insulators

JeffK-MN":3o8hy6p0 said:
The deer are shorting the fence out every night. I have 2" insulators on the posts but the deer still push it and it hooks on the barbed wire. I've wired some t-post insulators on the barbed wire it has helped but some times it turns over and shorts out anyway.
Thanks Jeff
They make a wire offset that holds the hot wire about 10" out from the barb wire. In 3 years I have never had it short out.

Texas PaPaw":6xo77m41 said:
Have been using these offsets for 10+ years with no problems. IMO-for hot wire running parallel to barbed wire this is the best setup.

Do you use these exclusively or do you still put standoff insulators on the t posts in between?

bhooper":2gxsv8ol said:
Texas PaPaw":2gxsv8ol said:
Have been using these offsets for 10+ years with no problems. IMO-for hot wire running parallel to barbed wire this is the best setup.

Do you use these exclusively or do you still put standoff insulators on the t posts in between?

Just use the offsets. Put one every 40 ft for 12.5 ga HT wire.

Texas PaPaw":31j5njjx said:
bhooper":31j5njjx said:
Texas PaPaw":31j5njjx said:

Same here, the t-posts will be no more as I build more new fence.

Thanks I have been looking for that kind of insulators for some time.
Jeff

my neighbor used 1/2'' pvc pipe cut about 16'' long. drill 2 holes near the end to nail to the wood post and 1 hole drilled on the other end and thread the high tensile wire through. basically a cheap homemade insulator theyve been there 20+ years

Texas PaPaw, what height do you put your offsets? I was thinking between my third and fourth barbwire from the ground. I'm running an electric line in with my 5 strand barbwire perimeter so I have access to electric fence for my interior polywire fences. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff
I have had the best luck flagging the hot wire with surveying tape every few feet.
They can see it and will learn it bites.4004092E-8827-4BD3-922A-12580B5C81B1.jpeg
I have five strands barb and three hot.
They rarely get in it anymore.
I also have the alarm light on it , I can look out the front door if the light
isn't flashing all is good.

I believe I went between the third and fourth wires to keep it consistent. Whatever is about 30" high. If there is a ridge or low spot, it would help to put some sort of insulated post in line with the hot wire. The offsets sort of flex up or down otherwise.

Texas PaPaw, what height do you put your offsets? I was thinking between my third and fourth barbwire from the ground. I'm running an electric line in with my 5 strand barbwire perimeter so I have access to electric fence for my interior polywire fences. Thanks
My offsets are between the 2nd and 3rd wire from ground on a 5 wire fence. Has worked well for me.

Latest posts