Installing woven or net wire

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Question for those who install net or,as it is called here,woven wire.
How is the best way to tighten a fence where you encounter rolling terrain?Do you pull straight then add some barbed in the gaps underneath?Or do you stop a a brace assembly and rewrap the wire?
I have some woven to put in that changes elevation from flat to a gentle rise then fairly uphill.Want all wires tight for good fence and a neat appearance.If I could post a picture,I would so it would be easier for you to understand.

Thanks for the replies.

Use good wire, and it isn't any problem at all. Lower quality wire will show in the form of slack line wires. Set a deadman in your low spots.

Thanks.I put in some 39" hi tensile hinge joint and where it turned uphill,the bottom wires were tight but the top wire were progressively looser.I put in strainers in the top 4 or 5 wires to take up the slack.Maybe I should have used a fixed knot? or not tightened the lowers so much?

JW IN VA":2hprwaqh said:
Thanks.I put in some 39" hi tensile hinge joint and where it turned uphill,the bottom wires were tight but the top wire were progressively looser.I put in strainers in the top 4 or 5 wires to take up the slack.Maybe I should have used a fixed knot? or not tightened the lowers so much?

Tornado hinge joint would have stretched even. Swiching to any old fixed knot will not cure your problem. There is more to a roll of net wire than most would ever imagine.

The way we do it is to pull the top or bottom of the wire by itself, not pulling the whole thing at once. Attach to the woven wire with a stretcher bar at the brace your pulling to, attach a comealong at the bottom of the bar to the corner or end post and another come along at the top of the stretcher bar to the corner or end post. In a steep line, (like the photo) we may pull only the top until it is crazy tight, then pull the bottom to tighten it up and get the stays fairly straight up and down. Fixed knot seems to be easier to get good and tight, but we have no problem with all kinds of hinge joint or square knot wire. Hope it makes sense.

We pull all of our fence to a brace, we don't do any gut strains or pulling to the middle, seems like that would be much more difficult on uneven ground but I have never done it.

fence_it":2xfxvlqx said:

The way we do it is to pull the top or bottom of the wire by itself, not pulling the whole thing at once. Attach to the woven wire with a stretcher bar at the brace your pulling to, attach a comealong at the bottom of the bar to the corner or end post and another come along at the top of the stretcher bar to the corner or end post. In a steep line, (like the photo) we may pull only the top until it is crazy tight, then pull the bottom to tighten it up and get the stays fairly straight up and down. Fixed knot seems to be easier to get good and tight, but we have no problem with all kinds of hinge joint or square knot wire. Hope it makes sense.

We pull all of our fence to a brace, we don't do any gut strains or pulling to the middle, seems like that would be much more difficult on uneven ground but I have never done it.

Uneven ground is where a gut strain really shines. :cowboy:

A lot of good fencers on this site. A neighbor gave up a really good state job to just fence. He has done well and stays booked up. He has built a lot corrals and stays busy. I like to go see his work to get some ideals as he has the latest things out. He uses an Excavator with a post driver mounted and can get that thing just about anywhere. He is well worth the cost.

Latest posts