Installation of Carbon Storage Units

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Having recently been promoted from a tree planter to a green collar worker by Mrs. Clinton, I just wanted to share a few pics of what its like to finally get a collar on my shirt. Here are a few pics taken from my throne in my ivory tower as I help save the planet from certain doom due to your huge carbon footprints. Don't worry, go ahead and burn a tire in that diesel engine cause I got ya covered.

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

One good thing about this type work is you don't have to listen to anyone yapping just the purr of the motor. Plenty of time to think and reflect. One thing I concluded today is that I think everyone should have to plant trees at least for one day. This would be excellent for politicians since it would show them what a 1000 of something is rather than just some figure on a piece of paper. If you hang with it long enough, say a month, you will have a pretty good idea what a million means to. I can't even fathom a trillion.

Why do doze the area before planting instead of leaving the debris to rot? Also I see a lot of areas bedded and then it appears to be hand planted. What is the reason for that? How many do you plant per day and who gets to ride the planting machine?
Proud to see people replanting trees and taking care of the enviroment instead of trying to develop everything.

Angus Cowman":15lcpjvf said:
Jogee I got one ?
WHAT DID YA DO WITH ALL THE ROCKS IN THAT SOIL ??
don't ya know ya can't have soil without rocks in it !!!!!!!!!!

I figure they shipped them up here to us

Good deal. I can tell my cows they can relax, quit holding it in, and get back to pooping as normal. When I learned about the cow tax, I held a herd meeting and told them they were ruining the planet and needed to be less flatulant. Jogee, they'll be relieved to know that you're doing your part over there. ;-)

dun":207bl00f said:
Angus Cowman":207bl00f said:
Jogee I got one ?
WHAT DID YA DO WITH ALL THE ROCKS IN THAT SOIL ??
don't ya know ya can't have soil without rocks in it !!!!!!!!!!

I figure they shipped them up here to us
I have a BIL in south Fla that owns a trucking co he was up here a few yrs ago buying a trailer and he hauled a load of rocks back down there and said it was one of his best paying loads ever :lol: :lol:

AC, we don't have rocks of any size. Do have a lot of pea gravel on this site and its really wearing out the planter feet. We do have quite a bit of stumps that will surely jar you out of your daze. :oops:

kenny thomas":2f8wec9v said:
Why do doze the area before planting instead of leaving the debris to rot? Also I see a lot of areas bedded and then it appears to be hand planted. What is the reason for that? How many do you plant per day and who gets to ride the planting machine?
Proud to see people replanting trees and taking care of the enviroment instead of trying to develop everything.

We try not to disturb the soil anymore than we have to but there is a trade off between getting it clean enough to properly plant and leaving the most nutrients on site as possible. The windrows in the pictures consist mostly of limbs and tops of the trees that were harvested.

I don't know why someone would spend all the money to clear and bed a tract and then hand plant it. I don't like hand planting and will only use it as a last resort. My planters are vitually idiot proof. As long as you understand that the green side should be up - the tree will be planted properly.

Anyone can ride in the box. I've spent many hours in it myself but I prefer to be on the tractor cause the tractor can be torn up and the box is virtually indestructible. Depending on the conditions of the land, each tractor can plant anywhere from 6 - 14 thousand trees per day. We aren't in any hurry so we are just plugging along and trying to do a good job and we are planting 27,000 per day.

I'm with you on developement and pillaging the land. The sad thing is a lot of the forests are levelled to pay the tax man due to the unfairness of the death tax. This is the case on this tract. Essentially our deal with Sambo was that he could have the timber and we get to keep the land. Thankfully, the owner of the land cared enough to put it back in trees which speaks volumes toward the character of this person.

Skyline, I heard an advertisement on the radio the other day about Green Christmas Presents. One was with a $15 donation they would plant a tree for your friend and send them a little certificate stating to the person letting them know that a tree was planted for them. I forgot the organization but it sounded like a great deal to me. :banana: So I was thinking I could undercut this quite a bit. Heck, just for you folks and any friends, relatives, acquantances or anyone else for that matter I will plant 6 trees for each $15 you send me. On Tuesday I'll do a 2 for 1.

Jogee, it looks like that property is below the Fall Line, right?

Hey Jo does the 5 million plus that i have hand planted count for anything. I am sure some off them lived. Also would that offset the several 100 tons that i have cut. Figure i have keep it pretty even as long as i only cut firewood for home use until i kickout, But then you have to figure in all the logging roads i have built for others to cut logs, and the pasture land i have coustom cleared with a dozer. Dam i hope i don't have to plant more trees.

curtis":33683t5m said:
Jogee, it looks like that property is below the Fall Line, right?

Yes it is. Its actually a little hillier than normal cause its near the river. I wish it were mine cause it would make a wonderful cattle operation with just a little more work.

john250":33683t5m said:
How long until we have telephone poles?

You'll have to wait about 22 years at the minimum. We will most likely cut it again in 25. This is the third crop.

Red Bull Breeder":33683t5m said:
Hey Jo does the 5 million plus that i have hand planted count for anything. I am sure some off them lived. Also would that offset the several 100 tons that i have cut. Figure i have keep it pretty even as long as i only cut firewood for home use until i kickout, But then you have to figure in all the logging roads i have built for others to cut logs, and the pasture land i have coustom cleared with a dozer. Dam i hope i don't have to plant more trees.

At 5 million, I should think you should be able to burn tires all day long without anyone being able to say a thing. But on second thought, did anyone fill out the necessary paperwork to instruct the CO2 to go in the trees? Gotta do the paperwork or it don't count. ;-)

I've hand planted my share as well. With hand planting experience you and I both know how it feels to be beat with a crowbar for 15 minutes since this is how the morning after normally feels. After I do it for a few days I get in the groove and lose some of the gut that tries to creep up on me. (ok - may crept is a better word)

john250":33683t5m said:
Dam i hope i don't have to plant more trees.

:lol: :lol: :lol: YOU HAVE PLANTED TREES HAVEN'T YOU! :clap: I say this at 5:00 a.m every morning and have been for more years than I'd like to remember.

kenny thomas":33683t5m said:
Why do doze the area before planting instead of leaving the debris to rot?

Undoubtedly we didn't do that good of a job cause today I got to buy a new tire for the tractor. I had 2 boots in it already but one stob caught it just right. A 12 ply tractor tire is 1500 reasons to get the trash out of the way. :cry2:

Yep Jo i have planted trees, used to plant ever year start in Miss. or Ala. and work over into La and TX then north into Tn. and from there north some more into Mn. and a few more states . I have planted Longleaf and Lobloys and Ponderosa pine plus spruce and ever kind of hardwood you can think of. My freaking back hurts just thinking about it. Used a hoedad alot more than a dibble bar. But am experenced with both tools of the trade. Green end up deep straight and tight.3 to 5 thousand of the little SOB's a day every day even Sunday we worked 7 days a week, until the crew started beating the fenders off the truck then you took a day off.

Hoedad is a lot faster than the dibble. Dibbles will kill ya. Well they both will kill ya. 5000 in a day is a tough day. I never had too many days like that. I think you'll know what I mean when I say all politicians need to plant at least 1000 trees to see what a 1000 really is. Definitely puts things in perspective. Ever hear of Red River Specialties?

Jogeephus":1kmu9gd7 said:
As long as you understand that the green side should be up - the tree will be planted properly.

Red Bull Breeder":1kmu9gd7 said:
Green end up deep straight and tight.

Ok, now you've got me curious. Ya'll haven't by chance hired a bunch of Aggies in the past have you? :p :lol2:

1982vett":1mkjhpxe said:
Jogeephus":1mkjhpxe said:
As long as you understand that the green side should be up - the tree will be planted properly.

Red Bull Breeder":1mkjhpxe said:
Green end up deep straight and tight.

Ok, now you've got me curious. Ya'll haven't by chance hired a bunch of Aggies in the past have you? :p :lol2:

No but I married one.

Not too many people are willing to help tree plant. That's why I'm changing the term to Carbon Storage Unit Installation Technicians. Times have got to be tough cause I had six people wanting to work this year. This is a story in itself. Out of the six, one fella was willing to do the work and he is working out real good. He's a redneck like me and he don't mind work. He got laid off from his job and has a family. I got a lot of respect for him. The other "technicians" are imports and don't mind work either. Not too fluent in english but I'm not fluent in spanish either so it kinda works out. Don't get me started on the others who decided it was better to draw unemployment than to earn a pretty good check.

I been out of the planting business for a while Jo. I think i still could do the job if i had to. My right arm elbow and shoulder mainly still remind me that i have made a few licks with a hoedad. If you can get a politcian to plant a thousand trees I am sure he would be asking for his disabilty the next mourning. Of couarse if you could maybe get Al Gore to help you out. I don't no any thing about the Red River Specialites for some reason it seems i should. Had a lot of fun back when i planted trees but i was young and not real smart.

Seems like you, as I did, thought tree planting was just another day out with the boys. Funny how as you get older it seems like more work.
What is the going rate in your area for hand planting? $50-$75 per k here for pine according to the area. $1.25 per tree for hardwood including putting down mats and tubes.

Its about the same prices but I don't really know about hardwood seedlings cause we never plant them. Have planted some cypress but we paid by the day. When it comes to hand planting, I've found you get what you pay for. Lots of tricks one can use. I prefer quality work so I'll pay the higher end for quality work. Since I don't do large hand plant jobs I turn these over to a fella I know that comes through the area each year. He does excellent work and is extremely honest. I'll pay him $80 for a turn key job. Not having to babysit is worth a lot to me.

Red Bull Breeder":sj9ji31y said:
I been out of the planting business for a while Jo. I think i still could do the job if i had to. My right arm elbow and shoulder mainly still remind me that i have made a few licks with a hoedad. If you can get a politcian to plant a thousand trees I am sure he would be asking for his disabilty the next mourning. Of couarse if you could maybe get Al Gore to help you out. I don't no any thing about the Red River Specialites for some reason it seems i should. Had a lot of fun back when i planted trees but i was young and not real smart.

I know what you mean. I got tendonitis from tree injection work from my younger years. I made a pile of money doing this work but I earned every cent of it. Unfortunately, its a young man's job and you definitely can't make a career out of it but it was good while it lasted.

I don't know why Red River came to mind. Haven't thought of them in years. But I think they were based out of Arkansas even though their name implies Texas. They did manual field work. Don't even know if they are still in business but they were pretty big and covered a lot of territory. They did hand planting, injection work or any other job most people would not want to do. Pretty good niche really. I followed their business model when I first started out.

Jo tis the Xmas season and you just keep dredging up nightmares. I have done some hypo work to. There is a Red River in Arkansas, and thinking back i beleive i know who they were. There is still a few forestry outfits around the biggest one is Superior Forestry from Tilly ARK. Also one called Progressive out Marshall Ark, and a few smaller one. We got 3 cents back then plus bonus money based on quailty of work we as a crew.

Latest posts