Install AC charger outside under bucket ok?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
I found an AC source on an elecrical pole on the property I am fencing wuth electric wire. The oultet is on the pole with no structure around. I have a plug in AC fence charger. Would it be safe to mount it and cover it with a 5 gallon bucket to protect it or would this be too close to the elements for an indoor charger. Anyone tried this?

Mount to the pole and cut a 3' chunk of inner tube, slicing it lengthwise as well to maximize width. Tack it to the pole with roofing nails, above the charger so it drapes over it and protects it from rain.

Can screw or nail bottom of empty lick tub to pole where opening is pointing away from pole, then mount the charger inside the tub. Years ago had a couple chargers mounted this way and worked fine.

Great. Video for different brand said they had to be inside but I thought I might be able to do it outside. Wanted to check with you guys. Going to mount it high enough rain wont splash up into it.

I take a 2 1/2 gallon jug and cut the top on three sides, leaving one long side still connected. Then pry that piece open. On the opposite side of the "hinge" cut a slot of plastic out (about 8" deep and 1 1/2 wide) so it can fit over the strap on the back of your charger. Hang the charger on a nail on the post, and slide the cover over it.

The cut slot slides over the hanging bracket and goes down as far as you cut the slot. The top closes back 3/4 of the ways and leaves very little space for anything to enter. This jug goes upside down on the charger.

I have one placed in a hydraulic oil bucket that's screwed to the pole. You'll need to use a 2x4 as a spacer so you can get the lid on and off.

I sliced a hole in the bottom for wires, and sealed it back up with silicone to keep wasps and mud daubers out.

Atimm693":2lpxon9l said:
I have one placed in a hydraulic oil bucket that's screwed to the pole. You'll need to use a 2x4 as a spacer so you can get the lid on and off.

I sliced a hole in the bottom for wires, and sealed it back up with silicone to keep wasps and mud daubers out.
Didnt think about the lid, that would definitely help keep the yellow jackets and wasp out, they are everywhere. On every bush, house barn, even put nest on my ATV'S and farm truck. Figured they would be on this within a month of warm weather.

BK9954":923y6h17 said:
Atimm693":923y6h17 said:

Didnt think about the lid, that would definitely help keep the yellow jackets and wasp out, they are everywhere. On every bush, house barn, even put nest on my ATV'S and farm truck. Figured they would be on this within a month of warm weather.

They built a mound in the muffler of one of our tractors. Made the most awful whistle you've ever heard, like a belt squealing.

I did this for many years by mounting an outlet box to the pole through a plastic mailbox. Cheap, easy to access and weather and bug tight.

Hi guys, Following this thread, Here is something I found with my charger, And it is mounted on a pole at the side of the shed, outside but where rain doesn't drip in it. It has a little bucket over it , open on the bottom.

I have a Speedrite 3000 charger, several months ago the AC wall plug burnt out. ( lighting on AC ?? ) this charger will work on a 12v battery also. So for the last few months , I have been using it on a old car battery. Got tried of charging it every few days, Then I put a Schumacher 12V maintainer on it. It's rated .75A and was only $10.00 at Walmart. Only uses like $.05 per day. Great part is if AC power goes off the charger still works for days. Plus the charger is more protected from lighting charges coming in on the AC line.

Before I put the maintainer on it, my battery was down in the 10.0 V range ( my charger will work on a battery down to about 9 V) after a couple days running the charger, the battery voltage was in the 12V To see if it will work on your charger check your chargers info. My only needs 290 ma to work.

Take a mineral/sweetlix tub screw it to the pole and put your box in it, I have also used the cheap 48 qt ice chest from dollar store screw it to pole and it also give you some extra storage room for spare fence parts

Latest posts