input prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I have been saying for years that this country is being built like a house of card. Something some day is going to cause it to crumble. We are as close to that day now as we have ever been.
Scary...........

Last edited:
Continuing to put money into "social Infrastructure" instead of actual infrastructure will pay dividends someday. I am sure the food produced by the Kennedy Center and the like will feed millions. We can drive there on the roads and bridges built by social justice.

Continuing to put money into "social Infrastructure" instead of actual infrastructure will pay dividends someday. I am sure the food produced by the Kennedy Center and the like will feed millions. We can drive there on the roads and bridges built by social justice.
...All named George Floyd drive, Michael Brown ave, MLK pkwy, Obama hwy, etc....

I have it on good report there was not nearly as much white (blank space) on the computer screens during the War of 1812
as there currently is today on this screen. So what I did was increase the print size to fill in the white space
and make reading more convenient for the next .reader, assuming one happens by....

Did the farmers just get government checks to make up the difference? If so, cheap/free silage doesn't sound too bad.
Almost all the cropping guys had 2021 crop insurance on corn and beans. Then there was drought payments on cattle and pasture acres and subsidized feed hauling over 25 miles and BIden Bucks... So the crop and cattle guys who did not depopulate - - like you are supposed to - - had good cash flow as long as they did not have to buy U$S 190 per ton cow hay. Some used their government money to buy TMRs or bale grinders. Non-diversified guys who "saved" all their cows and bought cow hay are showing significant losses. Grass fed guys who had to buy good hay are showing significant losses.

Canada was different as usual. More drought $ per head and less hauling subsidy encouraged more depopulation. Aaron said he is the only guy in his area who went for it and expanded. Alot of older producers are exiting and overstocked guys were forced to cut back.

With higher input prices and no feed carry over and low sub soil moisture in 2022 - - I think more cows will have to go, even if they were baptized. I am buying back some big open heifers and crossing my fingers.

Almost all the cropping guys had 2021 crop insurance on corn and beans. Then there was drought payments on cattle and pasture acres and subsidized feed hauling over 25 miles and BIden Bucks... So the crop and cattle guys who did not depopulate - - like you are supposed to - - had good cash flow as long as they did not have to buy U$S 190 per ton cow hay. Some used their government money to buy TMRs or bale grinders. Non-diversified guys who "saved" all their cows and bought cow hay are showing significant losses. Grass fed guys who had to buy good hay are showing significant losses.

Canada was different as usual. More drought $ per head and less hauling subsidy encouraged more depopulation. Aaron said he is the only guy in his area who went for it and expanded. Alot of older producers are exiting and overstocked guys were forced to cut back.

With higher input prices and no feed carry over and low sub soil moisture in 2022 - - I think more cows will have to go, even if they were baptized. I am buying back some big open heifers and crossing my fingers.
It's gonna be a tight squeeze here this winter for majority. Was in Walmart on Friday and overheard conversation between two cattlemen, one asking the other how his cattle were fairing. Other fella is one of those guys that figured he could buy and dump straw bales in one feeder and hay in the other and the cows would eat it. Turns out the cows would rather starve than eat the straw. Big surprise.

Some of the overstocked guys (who destocked) told me in the fall how many head they were wintering and how much feed they had. Interpolate/extrapolate the numbers to mine and I wanted to say that they were in big trouble, but the BTO's never listen. Turns out a lot of those guys are really nickle and diming the feed to the cows every day to try to make it work. Lots of eastern hay from 1000 miles away has been rolling in this winter. LOTS. 2-3 loads per week in a town of 200 and maybe 1500 cows in surrounding area.

Neighbor's brother is in north central Saskatchewan and has neighbors there who have been buying hay from the East. 1800 miles one way. $200 CDN just in freight ($160 US) per bale. Those same neighbors are saying they have $400 ($320 US) more in feed costs this winter over every animal (cow/calf/bull/yearling), and if the prices don't go to the moon soon to recoup the losses, watch for the mass exodus of the cowherd this year, regardless of drought or not. Too many guys are years deep in the red and higher interest rates are no longer whispers in the wind...they are coming.

If I understood the BTO neighbour I share a fence with he is sending 500 replacement heifers to feedlot to be fed for the remainder of the winter. About 8 hours one way. He has his own trucks, and it's a lot cheaper to take your cattle to the hay than it is to bring the hay to the cattle. Seems to me it's about $1.50 per pound of gain, and he wants 1.5 lbs / day so $2.25 CAD per day.

...All named George Floyd drive, Michael Brown ave, MLK pkwy, Obama hwy,
Why do you choose to ignore Bill Clinton and LBJ's contributions?
It gives the impression you're a divider rather than a uniter, who prefers to divide the country racially.

What do you have against MLK that you would list him and ignore LBJ a man who had more power and influence on civil rights and social justice than Obama exhibited or MLK ever dreamed of?

LBJ a man who sent and oversaw more American deaths in 5 years than 21 years of G. H. W. Bush, G. W. Bush, Obama and Biden combined.

p.s.
How do George Floyd, Michael Brown, MLK and Obama all make it into a coffee shop, cattle and land input price thread?

Last edited:
If I understood the BTO neighbour I share a fence with he is sending 500 replacement heifers to feedlot to be fed for the remainder of the winter. About 8 hours one way. He has his own trucks, and it's a lot cheaper to take your cattle to the hay than it is to bring the hay to the cattle. Seems to me it's about $1.50 per pound of gain, and he wants 1.5 lbs / day so $2.25 CAD per day.
Some shipped cattle out of here to be fed East, which is automatic 10 cents a lbs truck bill one way, so 20 cents round trip to come back. 1500 lb bred cow has a $300 freight bill plus $300 feed bill plus $100 calving fee. That doesn't work for most.

Neighbor was going to send a bunch of his cows west, but it was going to be about $450 per cow to winter out in an SK feedlot, plus the freight, even though he owns his own pot.

Lots of variation in straw quality. Wheat straw is not the best. I bought some for the first time - - two loads of wheat straw out of the Valley in August for U$S 32 per 4x6 FOB. Fed a bale to see how it plays. Cows were not impressed.

You can always top dress straw but that gets for be a lot more labor. Sugar beets and straw should work for a TMR man.

Last edited:
Seems like maybe some liquid feed should be shipped back up one of those pipelines. Corn stalks and straw can be made passable feed with a little Mol-Mix.

Really feel for you guys up there especially the ones truly making a living at it. Thats a tough spot to be in.

B bought a used vertical mixer. Feeding a mixture of straw, corn stalks, grass hay, and alfalfa.
By grinding the straw and corn stalks mixed with the grass and alfalfa he is getting better consumption and stretching out his hay supply. He is also top dressing the feed row with a dried distillers cake to get more protein into the cows to help digest the straw.

The best news in this video is "Most farmers should be able to break even in 2022".

Holy Cow!

Inputs up, yep. I am managing this by moving deeper into rotational grazing on the theory that the less I get between a cow and its food the better.

But the advice at the end ("track your costs"). Is there anyone not doing that other than part timers?

Latest posts