Inline Hay Trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

Kenlofarms

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new hay inline trailer. I need to know how a loaded trailer handles on uneven rough terrain. I am worried since they dump to the side that crossing uneven land may cause the trailer to dump its load.

It shouldn't. The bales ride level and usually you flip a latch and they dump. You would have to get so sideways they start going over the top.

If you were concerned you could grow a strap or rope over the bales and suck them to the trailer. I do that some times if I know if going to hook it up down the highway. I have pitched a bale off in a turn before.

thanks i do have about a 20 mile drive on a highway. The bales are 6x6 an i currently stack them and strap on a flat bed trailer. I'm looking for something quicker and easier.

I agree, you shouldn't have any trouble at all and I believe you would have to just about turn the trailer over before you spilt the rolls. The only thing with these trailers is you have to get used to the trailer drag on turns. Not hard you just have to be aware of it or you'll land the rear tires in a ditch on the turn which is why I know the bales don't come off very easy. :lol2:

I have the same worries, since the weight is up high and the axles seem narrow.

We have two and have not had an issue with them.

Dump trailers are the best thing since sliced bread IMO. Just be careful because I have had cattle get on the opposite side and start knocking the bales around while I was trying to unlatch them. I had a bull throw a bale completly off the trailer toward me while I was trying to unlatch it one time.

The only time I threw a bale off was in a long gradual turn going from one place to the next. There is a bad hump in the turn and I didn't slow down enough. The hump only catches the inside tires. I hit it going just fast enough that made every thing hop and it threw the last bale off in to the ditch.

Okay splain to me why a specialty trailer that only hauls round bales benefits over a float.
If I have to keep up with another set of tires and bearings I want it to do multiple jobs.

Caustic Burno":1pn06asd said:
Okay splain to me why a specialty trailer that only hauls round bales benefits over a float.
If I have to keep up with another set of tires and bearings I want it to do multiple jobs.
Sort of my thoughts too. Also the amount of hay you can haul per foot of trailer and maneuverability are issues I see.

Caustic Burno":3gk9hp39 said:
I don't get it either. Hauling 4-6 on a hay van or hauling 10-14 on our 33'. Take at least twice as many trips to haul the same amount of hay. Maybe would be better if you had tight entrances and couldn't fit double stacked rolls through.

You don't have to have a tractor on both ends. It's one more trailer but less tractors.

I use a float if I am moving lots of bales but for feeding day to day the hay van is the best thing going. You can load it quick and be gone dump them individually in the pasture where you want and go.

If you are feeding 30 bales at a time... Then ya... It's probably not for you. I feed 5-10 bales per property at 3-6 places on a given day and it's the best thing going.

I can load a hay van and feed on the same property faster than I can run the bales out to the pasture 2 at a time.

A good hay van can be bought for $2-3K used. The big double dump or brand new ones are more more, but not bear the cost of a float.

I have a hard time justifying the cost of a single use trailer. I can get 11 bales on a 20' bumper pull that cost $3000 new and 2 bales on the bed. Easier to maneuver too :2cents:

The neighbor got around it by building a deal that mounts on his 3 point for pulling his gooseneck. Drops the gooseneck and loads it then hooks back up and hauls the hay to the desired site. Drops the gooseneck and unloads the hay.

Stocker Steve":3ofzyorj said:
Brute 23":3ofzyorj said:
A good hay van can be bought for $2-3K used. The big double dump or brand new ones are more more, but not bear the cost of a float.

What is a hay "van" ?

It's what people call the in line hay trailers that dump. There is actually a HayVan brand. Like a Crescent wrench. :)

dun":2vytw2q9 said:
The neighbor got around it by building a deal that mounts on his 3 point for pulling his gooseneck. Drops the gooseneck and loads it then hooks back up and hauls the hay to the desired site. Drops the gooseneck and unloads the hay.
I built one of those too

The inline that I use is 42 ft long and I can move hay quickly with it. I like it because I don't have to tie it down, can see around it and I don't need but one tractor running at a time. I have noticed that 5x6 bales dump easier that 4x5s. I assume because they are not sitting as deep in the cradle therefore being more top heavy. I have yet to have one fall off until I wanted it to though.

Latest posts