injured cows

Help Support CattleToday:

coxbendcattle

Reaction score
Will a bull butt a cow in the stifful muscle, if he doesnt have his way. I have two cows limping, one bad, and they should be coming in about now. Have had him since he was a virgin, he is now 4, no prior problems.

A bull is capable of doing just about anything... How big is your bull? You state that he is 4 years old and your cows are coming into heat now. He could be injuring them just by mounting them. Does he get pretty aggressive around them?

He could be doing it but I'd rather catch him at it at least once before accusing him.

One of mine started putting his head under their udders and lifting them off their hind legs when he got bored... his first and last breeding season.

coxbendcattle":3dld7k4u said:
Will a bull butt a cow in the stifful muscle, if he doesnt have his way. I have two cows limping, one bad, and they should be coming in about now. Have had him since he was a virgin, he is now 4, no prior problems.

Might not have been the bull that did it. If you have a cow in standing heat and a couple who are mounting her, one will sometimes butt the other off and in that process, hit them in the stifle. I've seen cows do that, but they seem to defer to the bull and get out of the way. We don't run more than one bull in a pasture but I've heard bulls will knock off other bulls in the same manner.