injured cow

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know guys, she said she saw them up eating 45 mins. earlier, odd scenario for it to be milk fever but odd to be caught and injured if she is that gentle too. Another lesson to be learned here I am sure.

thats why i'm wondering if she was sticking her head through the barbed wire to eat. the neighbors sound sketchy too. and why did the owners pull her through? to get her away from the herd? then they had to repair the fence.. did they own the other side of the fence? was there winter grazing planted there? stay tuned for scenes from our next episode...

I don't think the cow necessarily ate yesterday evening. Re-read the posts.

We have a 7 year old heifer that just had a calf on Monday, she and the calf both did fine. Earlier today she was the first cow to the feed trough calf intow, later this evening she is down and cannot stand at all I have tried everything I know to do.

we cut the fence and and pulled her thru to the other side and she never stood back up. She tries to get up and falls back down, she doesn't seem to have any broken bones. And we had just fed the cows about 45 minutes earlier

Fed the cows, yes, but did that particular cow eat? The way I read it is only that the cow was not caught in the fence 45 minutes prior.

I've seen dairy cows come in the barn for the morning milking, be milked, and be down with milk fever within 10 hours. Looked fine before, but after being milked and having so much milk - calcium - depleted, they go down fast. The cow Patti asked about had calved 3 days prior, and that's about the time calves really get going and nursing well. I'd guess that's what did it.

'Course, that's just an internet opinion, not having seen the cow, but I'm still guessing it's milk fever. Patti, has the vet been out to see the cow? what's he say? update us please ;-)

Milkmaid:
Re-read the posts. Great advice! Use it. Cow was first to the feed trough, calf in tow!
I am not questioning down with milk fever! i worked very closely with a Jersey herd for a number of years, so I do know a little on the subject!
Down with ketosis is a pretty big stretch for a cow that is eating, I have yet to see a cow down from ketosis! Maybe down and be ketotic but not the root of the problem. Re-read my answers!

ranchmgr - would be nice if Patti would give us an update, but going on what she said:

Earlier today she was the first cow to the feed trough calf intow, later this evening she is down

I read that and assumed "earlier today" meant morning feeding, and that the cow was fine then. I'm still assuming that's what it meant, and will assume such until told otherwise.

Not that any of us are really in a position to make assumptions based on a few short statements about a down cow. :lol: ;-)

Just wanted to let everyone know that my "baby" cow is gone now. The vet came out and looked at her and said that it was milk fever and she also had nerve damage where she got tangled up. As for the fence ordeal we own both sides of that pasture, I took the vet to where she got tangled up and he said it looked like she might have slipped and fell. The day she was feed and the first one there she ate extremely well and 45 minutes after we feed her, thats when we got the call that she was down.Now I have her baby to try to raise, I've never raised a calf before on a bottle but I'm gonna try. Can anyone please tell me how many times aday to feed her? Is there anything else I should do to ensure her health? Feedback would be so much appreciated. Thank you

So sorry to hear you lost the cow. You will need to feed her baby at least three times a day and since it has already nursed you will have to work with it to get it to take a bottle, but he/she will get hungry and figure it out.

Sorry to hear you lost her - I was hoping she'd make it. I know what it's like to lose 'em, and it's not easy.

Calf should get milk replacer (at least 20% protein, 20% fat) from a bottle or bucket for at least 6-7 weeks. Some people wean bottle calves as early as 4-5 weeks, but that's too early IMO. I've kept them on a bottle longer... if it wasn't so expensive for each bag of milk replacer I'd keep all of them on milk for at least 3 months.

I like to feed 2x a day, half-gallon at a feeding, for a total of 1 gallon of milk per day. You can feed more if you like - again - it comes down to cost per bag of milk replacer. I only feed twice a day because I don't have time in my day to be running out there every few hours around the clock (unless the calf is sick and needs doctoring).

If you like, feel free to PM me with any other bottle calf questions. Might be able to help you out.

And thanks for updating us... always helpful to know how things turn out.

milkmaid":3dj1sotm said:
I don't think the cow necessarily ate yesterday evening. Re-read the posts.

We have a 7 year old heifer that just had a calf on Monday, she and the calf both did fine. Earlier today she was the first cow to the feed trough calf intow, later this evening she is down and cannot stand at all I have tried everything I know to do.

we cut the fence and and pulled her thru to the other side and she never stood back up. She tries to get up and falls back down, she doesn't seem to have any broken bones. And we had just fed the cows about 45 minutes earlier

Fed the cows, yes, but did that particular cow eat? The way I read it is only that the cow was not caught in the fence 45 minutes prior.

I've seen dairy cows come in the barn for the morning milking, be milked, and be down with milk fever within 10 hours. Looked fine before, but after being milked and having so much milk - calcium - depleted, they go down fast. The cow Patti asked about had calved 3 days prior, and that's about the time calves really get going and nursing well. I'd guess that's what did it.

'Course, that's just an internet opinion, not having seen the cow, but I'm still guessing it's milk fever. Patti, has the vet been out to see the cow? what's he say? update us please ;-)

Fed the cows, yes, but did that particular cow eat?- YES first one to the trough, unless she was just there for a visit she ate.

*And we had just fed the cows about 45 minutes earlier

The way I read it is the cows were just fed 45 minutes earlier.

Pretty cut and dried to me.

Latest posts