• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

injured calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Have a 150-200 pound calf found limping. Has a swelling about as big as a softball cut in half just below hip area. Animal does put some weight on the leg when walking; holds it up some if running. Appears healthy otherwise. (internal bruise or hip out of socket/broken????) I suppose he was butted or hooked by another cow maybe trying to steal milk, who knows. Took animal to vet who examined and the knot is blood; didn't give any medication. I am wondering about vit K. to decrease the internal bleeding and if others have any ideas on what to do. I have about decided the let nature take its course. The pair is in a small trap to isolate and so I can observe daily and to prevent further injury.

[email protected]

OP
A

Anonymous

Benign neglect, better phrased as "Tincture of Time" is probably the best decision. Unless the swelling is continueing to increase in size the bleeding part has stopped, he should re-absorb the blood.

dun

> Have a 150-200 pound calf found
> limping. Has a swelling about as
> big as a softball cut in half just
> below hip area. Animal does put
> some weight on the leg when
> walking; holds it up some if
> running. Appears healthy
> otherwise. (internal bruise or hip
> out of socket/broken????) I
> suppose he was butted or hooked by
> another cow maybe trying to steal