Injured calf

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
We had an older mom 7-8 year old calve last week . Knew she shouldn't have any problems calving but try to keep and eye on them . Found her in early labor about dark and she was off from the herd but out in the middle of the pasture . Next day no sign of her . We have 2 creeks running through the property, great shade and plenty of undergrowth to hide . Next day she was back out in the pasture grazing , no sign of her calf but 2 quarters sucked down . So I went looking , in some very thick undergrowth I jumped the calf up . It ran out in the pasture to her . That's when I noticed it back towards its hind quarters was raw and bloody . Couldn't get close enough to get a good look and was getting dark . Next day I found her at the end of the pasture away from the creek and woods . Calf bedded down in some tall grass . As I walked up to the calf it jumped up and sprinted towards the creek and cover . It has remained in the woods for 3 days now . Mom close by grazing, showing signs of being nursed out . Looks like patches of hair pulled out , bloody looking skin . What could have done this and have this calf so spooked ? Coyotes, buzzards/ turkey vultures , some other varsity ? We have a little of all .

Coyote or wild dogs, maybe. Buzzards can't and won't attack a calf that can get po and run like that. If the calf was dead or b near dead, they'd go end through the soft underbelly. They wouldn't attempt to eat a rump roast off of one.

In very hot weather the cow sometimes doesn't get the calf cleaned well and it scalds the hair. That combined with flies getting on it almost immediately will pretty much make it raw. If you can get it somewhere that you can spray.it with antibiotics and something for flies it will heal much faster. Left alone sometimes it never totally heal.

did the mom have a full udder before the calf was born? I'm wondering id the calf is premature?
No full term and a large calf ; couldn't believe when it jumped up and ran across the pasture. Partner/son back on the job not sure if I could hold and treat by my lonesome.

Update ; got close to the calf this evening without it bolting to the safety of the woods . Still can't get enough of a look to determine if it's maggots or an injury. I'm armed with spray and a friends dart gun with antibiotics. Go a little earlier tomorrow. So hot 🥵, cattle aren't coming out from the shade till late . We are just now having summer temperatures.

Latest posts