Injured calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like his back legs are working better than his fronts now.. but this is an improvement.. hope it continues, he's a nice looking guy!

The front legs are working fine. Just it was more comfortable for him to eat in this position. :) He has lost quite alot of weight now.
Yeah, he's probably the best looking calf this year so far. Maybe he even could be the most muscled bull we ever had in the future. His full sisters are double muscled. One is due in autumn, but might be the 1st c-section for us as she's in calf to our limo bull. Another is the one with a back leg trauma, so will use AI, for her.

lithuanian farmer":1n3cpes4 said:
Finally the new calving season started and have new calves. The 1st calf of the year was born last week, but unfortunately have lost him. However have a new bull calf born tonight. He's Limousine sired out of 1/4x (Angus, BB, Salers, dairy) 6th calver. He's a pretty big boy, ~120lbs or so. Cow calved on her own. He's already showing serious muscles, so can't await to see him growing.

Other cows are preparing to calve too. The one which had a huge calf last year also is near. However the most exciting thing is that two heifers incalf to our new Limousine bull are near too. Hopefully they'll calve in a couple weeks.
lithuanian farmer":1n3cpes4 said:
Thank you! He really should be a good one. From what I see he could be more muscled than his two full sisters. Here are photos of both. The first one hopefully is already incalf to Limousine and will calve in august.

He just born and his full sisters.

Looks like a good line, sure are meaty. I have 2 heifers this year that are super meaty, both from my homeraised bull, and 2 steer calves that are nearly identical, one from the Limo bull, and one from the homeraised bull

She's young here, but you see it.. she's darned near twice as wide as some of the others.

Nesikep":7hze1kyw said:
Looks like a good line, sure are meaty. I have 2 heifers this year that are super meaty, both from my homeraised bull, and 2 steer calves that are nearly identical, one from the Limo bull, and one from the homeraised bull

She's young here, but you see it.. she's darned near twice as wide as some of the others.

Looks promising!
Our cows with calves went out on grass just less than two weeks ago. Had not much of hay left and it was very bad, so cows got pretty skinny, plus calves wasn't showing their potential. Now they finally can thrive. There are some very promising calves too. Our new bull's calves should show what they got. Gonna have good photos after a month or so, when they all will be back into shape.

Mine only went out on grass this week.. I had fairly good hay, but it just isn't as good as grass.. I just didn't have my camera with me today when the 4 yearling heifers were all standing side by side, all facing the same way.. it would have been a good one

Nesikep":13hy8xqa said:
Mine only went out on grass this week.. I had fairly good hay, but it just isn't as good as grass.. I just didn't have my camera with me today when the 4 yearling heifers were all standing side by side, all facing the same way.. it would have been a good one
We had very wet and cold spring this year, so grass wasn't growing much. We had two fields where we left our hay bales. When came in april to bring them home, saw that there were almost no left (from 40+) and that hay was very good quality. Bales in another field were untouched, but were very bad quality and cows almost refused to eat it. I haven't seen girls for a week and during that time most had lost at least 100lbs. Have let them out that weekend, but grass wasn't very big, so have to move them quite often to the new pasture.
Yeah, always needs to have camera with yourself. Often miss good shots. I did a similar photo ~3 years ago:

That is a great pic!.. We had a slow start to the spring here too... We only started getting hot weather at the end of last week (30+C).

Unfortunately, had to slaughter the calf. He wasn't making any progress from a certain point. Also he hasn't showed any efforts to stand up and walk himself. With some help he would stand and maybe walk a couple steps before falling, but he always tried to keep his rear legs as far to the front as possible.
After slaughtering looked at his joints and bones. His stifle joint was moving to much to the front, especially of one leg.
Well, many people say livestock=deadstock and that's really true. This year was very tiring. Hopefully everything will get better soon.

You're getting your fill of interesting veterinary medicine stories... I had enough of them this year as well losing 2 cows... Here's to next year being better!

Latest posts