Injured calf not feeding on bottle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a calf who has an injured leg and she refuses to drink from the bottle. I started pouring the milk in a bowl and she will drink it from the bowl. Why do you think she is not taking the bottle?

if she was on the bottle before her injury.. i dont know. must be the injury, but some calves just dont take well to a bottle.. and i have had some that i never got to take it.

jt

Do you think she will be okay because I feel she is not getting the amount of milk that she needs. I am feeding her grain and she has a large pasture to herself.

Alina":1waelvmt said:
Do you think she will be okay because I feel she is not getting the amount of milk that she needs. I am feeding her grain and she has a large pasture to herself.

there is really no way i know how to answer that based on info given.

how old is she?
how much grain/grass is she eating daily?
has she recovered from her injury?
how bad was the injury?
is she loosing weight?
etc etc

maybe someone in your area could look at her for you and give you some advice.. or post more info here and maybe some on these boards can help..

good luck

jt

She should be fine as long as she'll drink it from a bucket instead of a bottle, and if she's eating feed as well.

How old is she?

Sometimes If the orphin calves have a friend in the field with them that will help their appetite.

If it drinks from a pail - bonus! Bottles are a pain.

TheBullLady is on the mark with this one.

As for companions - the only thing I disagree with certherfbeef on is that I think they ALWAYS do better when with a companion - they are after all a herd animal.

Best to all,

Bez

Latest posts