injured bull... What to do with him

Help Support CattleToday:

Iowa-angus

Reaction score
He is surely gone. The icy winter really got one of his legs. he can barely walk. We are getting rid of him for sure. We already took him to the vet and he got better for a while then got worse than before. He seems even two bad for the sale barn and locker. What to do?

two options, note that the required withdrawl times are met and if the vet or you gave a stronger than prescibed dose,wait even longer.
1. sell rail grade right to slaughter...we do this if we think it will not handle the sale barn, and the ruck ride to where ever. The inspector looks at the animal and either gives it the thumbs up, or condems part or all

2. if he is fevered and or can not make it to the withdrawl time without pain or suffering, the 5 cent cure is best.

When we have a situation like this and the sale barn might be an option, our decision is based on, will he walk off the truck willingly at the sale barn? Will he walk into the ring looking good? Will he make the truck ride to his final destination and walk off willingly? For us, we have a slaughter house you can book into several weeks in advance. It's two hours away. The next best place is 15 hours in 3 of the 4 directions. Add that into you decision and you will have your answer.

i hate to say this but a lead injection is your best option for the bull.because i doubt if you can load an unload him.without him going down in the trailer or at the sale barn.

He just doesn't seem to like to walk. We are just hoping that he got his fair share bread this year. We have a rookie working on the part of the herd he was on, hopefully he can get everyone. My dad said we may just have to use gunpowder and lead, if you know what I mean. I hope he can at least be ok for the locker but no gurantees. He is not in any shape for the sale barn for sure though. Just have to see what happens :(

sorry I didn't post WAY earlier, but in October, he was found dead one morning. RIP :(

He WAS a bull that we've had for a long time, you kind of get attached to them. We put him on the Compost Pile we have.

I think cattle are cattle and people are people, and the two shouldn't be confused, but when someone has a cow/bull/dog that has been with them for a long time, I think it's rather rude to laugh at them when they show concern for a loss.

That was a depressing post. The bull was injured during the "icy winter". In August, when the post was made, he's still crippled. Finally died in October. Sounds like he suffered for a looooooong time.

MO_cows":37iw3h1l said:
That was a depressing post. The bull was injured during the "icy winter". In August, when the post was made, he's still crippled. Finally died in October. Sounds like he suffered for a looooooong time.

i hear you on that

Latest posts