Injection Site Reactions

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
We gave our spring vaccinations two weekends ago. It went pretty smooth, no injuries, incidents etc :) The heifers got vista once, alpha 7, vibshield L5 and a shot of multimin. I had read that the one shots had a higher chance of causing an injection site reaction, but I decided to give it a try and I'm glad I won't have to work them a second time for boosters. But, yes they got reactions at the injection sites, big knots like half oranges on their necks. I gave some of the shots on the left and some on the right so I don't really remember which ones were in which spots. Do you know if the knots will stay there forever, or will they go down over time?

They normally go down over time, the only vaccine I have seen that made staying knots in one of my cows is Piliguard Trivalent. The same knot is still there after 4 years, but only on the one cow.

If the knots are still there after a few months you can feel for a soft spot on the knot and if you feel that you can lance it there to drain it, but it will eventually go away on its own.

The Alpha 7 is "probably" the culprit. I've had some swell as large as a cantalope. They finally broke open, drained & disappeared. MOST will disappear on their own. It is an alergic reaction to the carrier in the meds. Some are more alergic than others (cattle & vaccine).

It's usually the claustridial(sp) vaccines that do it. If you happen to inject some in your finger it gets nasty and hurts like............

dun":3gclw34j said:
It's usually the claustridial(sp) vaccines that do it. If you happen to inject some in your finger it gets nasty and hurts like............

I use Multiclos and it does tend to make a knot, but it dissappears fairly soon after.

That all said, there are some cows that get a knot from anything kind of shot. Had one old cow that as a 7 year old had a knot from every shot she'ld had since she was a calf.

dun":39ffaem0 said:

I think you are right and I think it is worse if you are using a previously opened bottle . We would use a clean needle in the bottle of stable products, then use the rest later and had a lot more reactions . As far as the Vista Once we've used it and never had trouble with reactions .

Larry

Well, thank you for the info I appreciate it. Last fall we used ultrabac 8 and cattlemaster gold and I don't think we had any knots. Right now they have anywhere from zero to three and hopefully they'll end up going away. I gave a lot of shots that day and managed not to stick myself, otherwise maybe I'd have one too :eek:

we have seen them before and we stick thenm open and let them drain because they are usually filled with puss. Seems like some get them and others don't. It does take time though but you don't want it to grow into an absis in their neck or shoulder. Tehn we put iodine or some type of disenfectant in it and let them run and they are usually fine. If it grows inot an absis it hurts you when you sell them and ruins meat. have only seen it twice out of maybe 70 that we have ever had.hope they go away without you having to do anything wait 5 weeks and if they haven't gone away i would take a look at them. Couldbe that it is jsut swelling and will go away so don't get to worried unless its still there after 5 weeks.

Latest posts