Injection Reaction

Help Support CattleToday:

Lngvew

Reaction score
I worked 60 head of cows & calves monday, gave all a shot of Bovishield Gold (IM in the neck triangle according to the rules), a pinkeye vac (IM same side but opposite end of triangle), wormed (eprinex) and flytaged. Out of all 1 cow has a knot the size of a cantalope where I gave the injections. I spaced the shots apart so I dont think it was that, may be wrong. Do you think I hit a vein or what have you folks experienced?

i have had this happen. what i think happens is we have a dull needle and pick up a bit of hair and it gets infected. when we have it i lance it and give a shot of pencillen (sp.) hope this helps with you cow.

You could have nicked a vein and it possibly bled under the skin until it clotted and stopped. If this is the case the swelling should start to go down in a few days as the blood starts to settle down to lower parts of the body. It also could be an infection as the earlier post suggested.

We've had this happen a couple of times on heifers when we were doing all of their vaccinations. At first I was concerned and asked the vet about it and he told me that it would go down and it did. It probably took about three or four weeks for the knot to go away but it did and there was no visisble evidence that the knot had been there. Now, I did have one heifer that came up with a knot on her side very similar to the ones that came up from the injections only we had not given her shots yet. The knot was hard and showed no signs of going away so I had the vet out for something else and showed him. He thought we probably needed to lance it. Once we lanced it alot of puss came out-the vet thought it was either from an insect bite that maybe got infected or from getting a thorn etc. stuck in her side. Once it healed there were no visible scars.