Injection knots

Help Support CattleToday:

LonghornRanch

Reaction score
I have given many LA 200 shots to sick animals. I gave a shot to a sick calf, and their is a large hard knot at the injection site. The injection was given 7 days ago.

I have heard of this, but have never had it happen to me. Well this knot go way in time? What is the knot? Scar tissue? Swelling? Why is it hard?

Boy this is one question that gets ask alot yes it well go away before long its not scar tissue .its swelling that la200 is some pretty thick stuff shot into the muscle

When I give LA-200 I give it under the skin and I rub the area good after I give it , sometimes that helps and sometimes it don't. It usually goes away in time.

It isn't the LA 200 itself, it is a preservative used in LA 200, in causes a mild chemical burn on the inside of the animals skin layer and it swells to keep that chemical from spreading. It is a natural body function. Ever get a tetanus shot? It's the same chemiclal used it that shot for humans. At least that is what my vet told me.

Wow, this is the first time I got a big knot from LA 200. Are we talking weeks or months to go away? The knot has been there for 5 days now.

It will take several weeks, but there is nothing to worry about, it's normal

Good luck

Sometimes it NEVER goes away. It starts out as a alergic reaction. Some cattle are affected more than others, some vaccines/meds affect different animals differently.
It doesn't hurt anything, just looks bad, unless it becomes absessed, than it needs to be lanced and drained. Right now, just leave it alone.

I had a 3 yr old hereford the same swelling occurred, it took 3 wks for the swelling to go away. I got her inside the barn and drapped warm towels across her neck for 15 mins. 3 days consecutive, helped the swelling to go down. My hereford is like a pet, I can do anything to her without a head gate - don't know if yours will let you do this.

Last year we had a calf we'd been giving LA200, under the skin, for an infection. He had a swelling, tennis ball size, from one injection that the vet told us to drain. Drained it and he was fine. The other sites didn't have a problem.
We do have some cows that have knots on their necks from either pink eye vaccine or some other injection. Some go away, some don't.

the best bet i have found in my experiance is to space out the shot in at minimum 3 seperate locations. also there is less soreness and tissue damage. also if on day one you give it on (any shot) left side next day use the left side.

the best bet i have found in my experiance is to space out the shot in at minimum 3 seperate locations. also there is less soreness and tissue damage. also if on day one you give it on (any shot) left side next day use the right side.

Most of the time it will go away in a few weeks. LA does leave a pretty good knot though.

Latest posts