Injectable Wormers?

Help Support CattleToday:

lcranch

Reaction score
Has anyone used the injectable wormers and what is the results they have had? I know that the long range is pretty pricey, wondering if anyone has used the noromectin and etc. and the results they have had?

I've used Long Range for several years. Probably won't this year. I also won't use it on my yearling replacement females. I didn't have a good breed up the 1st time I used it on the yearlings. Don't know exactly why but that age group has done much better without it. It had no negative reproductive effect on the mature cows. Can't comment on any other injectables. Sometimes I wonder if wormer's are necessary at all?

Chocolate Cow":3czbofbh said:
I've used Long Range for several years. Probably won't this year. I also won't use it on my yearling replacement females. I didn't have a good breed up the 1st time I used it on the yearlings. Don't know exactly why but that age group has done much better without it. It had no negative reproductive effect on the mature cows. Can't comment on any other injectables. Sometimes I wonder if wormer's are necessary at all?

Interesting observation! I was wondering about using Long Range in my purebred herd this year. Are you planning on using another type of injectable for your yearlings or are you going to just use a pour on?

I'm using Dectomax pour on. 3 years ago, I used Long Range on the yearling heifers and my breed up wasn't very good. After that, I've used a pour on. Same genetics, same pasture, same bulls. 2016-I had 33 heifers, 100% bred in 30 days.

lcranch":3bkczsdn said:
Has anyone used the injectable wormers and what is the results they have had? I know that the long range is pretty pricey, wondering if anyone has used the noromectin and etc. and the results they have had?

Yes. Injectable is more cost effective on calf weights, but I do not think it works on lice. I tend to use it on purchased cattle and problem cattle.

They are selling Safeguard hard here and offered "free" fecal testing last fall. I use Safeguard pellets for yearlings on grass. Pour on plus Safeguard is supposed to be 99% effective on worms, but I have not tried this combo.

I used Cydetin injectable and a cheap pour - on Ivermectin this round. Next round I'll use a Safe Guard drench type wormer, and Ultra Boss pour - on.
I poured every animal and only gave a shot of Cydetin to the thin cows and those with off color hair.

We rotate between decomax injectable and ivectmin plus. SOB maybe your environment allows you to go without worming your mature cows, but in Florida I don't think it would work. I wonder if it because of your cold winters? We worm twice a year fall and spring.

Gizmom

Best return on investment is injectable in the younger animals. All the mature cows get poured in January.
I may be wrong, but I think only benefit I'm getting from pouring the mature cows is lice control. Maybe it's knocking down some worms too, but I don't know for sure.

We used pour-ons for a few years bu have switched back to injectable or drench types.I am more sure about the cow getting the full dose his way.There has been some talk about the lack of effectivness in the Ivermectin-type drugs Some speculate it may be caused by pour-ons not getting where they need to go,generics' lack of staying power or both.
I'd like to hear from someone who has results to back this up if anyone does.

I have tested dewomers when I was a consultant for ranches in nebraaksa. I would ask the guys what he used & when he used it, then i would go get fresh fecal samples & ship them off to a lab to be inspected for worms. Generic pour-ons are not as good as the name brand ones. I am pretty certain of that. No generic pour-on was as effective as the name brand ones when compared on equal days since application. I asked a university professor who was a leading researcher in dewormers. He said they don't absorb into the skin as well. Long range is effective but overpriced IMO. I also think that since it is in the cow's system for 150 days it will have resistance issues in the near future. I prefer Safe-guard, it seemed to work the best. As for the comment are wormers necessary? They are if you want to make money. They are the #1 return on investment (if I recall it was double what implants returned and more than AI by a long shot). Depending on where you live (up north vs the deep south) a good deworming program vs noting at all will add 10-50 lbs of weaning weight according to a boat-load of research. I wish I could find THE picture that shows why, its an photo taken from a plane of 4 equal sized trap pastures with sheep (or cattle I can't remember) anyway in two of the traps the animals hadn't been traded for worms and the other two they had. At the end of the grazing season you could easily tell the treated animals ate more grass.

Only time I've had problems with worms was back when I used pour on. Now every animal gets a shot. I use a rotation of dectomax, cydectin, and ivamec.

cjmc":2aidgl7v said:
I wish I could find THE picture that shows why, its an photo taken from a plane of 4 equal sized trap pastures with sheep (or cattle I can't remember) anyway in two of the traps the animals hadn't been traded for worms and the other two they had. At the end of the grazing season you could easily tell the treated animals ate more grass.

How does treatment increase consumption?

Studies have shown pretty conclusive proof that the 'generic' ivermectin products do not perform as well as the 'pioneer' product, Ivomec. I used to buy the generics... but if they don't do the job, the few cents saved is actually dollars lost.

I've seen studies showing that deworming with a benzimidazole(white, drench wormer) like Panacur/Safeguard or Synanthic and Cydectin, both at the same time was less expensive than LongRange, and weight gains, fecal egg counts, etc., at the end of the trial were comparable for both treatment groups.

Waco... rotating Ivomec/Dectomax/Cydectin is like rotating Chevy/GMC/Chevy... they're all in the same class of dewormers. If the worms on your farm develop resistance to one...they're resistant to all. However, this is a better approach than what we've recommended in the past. Far better to stick with ONE class of dewormers until they no longer work, then switch to another, instead of 'rotating' from class to class... and ending up rapidly with resistance to ALL classes.

Agree with what Lucky P says. I was using Dectomax worming twice a year, asked the rep for Cydectin if I needed to swap each time, even he said absolutely not, unless you just want a different product.
I use Long-range now just worm once a year in the spring, did fecal counts in the fall with no eggs, so it's saved me worming twice, and has some horn fly protection.

Stocker Steve":3c5xty0w said:
cjmc":3c5xty0w said:
I wish I could find THE picture that shows why, its an photo taken from a plane of 4 equal sized trap pastures with sheep (or cattle I can't remember) anyway in two of the traps the animals hadn't been traded for worms and the other two they had. At the end of the grazing season you could easily tell the treated animals ate more grass.

How does treatment increase consumption?

To be honest, I'm not sure. That would be a vet question. I just know they do reduce intake. Here is a link that verifies that (but unfortunately doesn't explain what is physiologically happening.) It also has that picture I mentioned.

http://www.safe-guardcattle.com/beef-worms.aspx

I wonder if they have done any studies on long range and conception in heifers? We are palpating our heifers tomorrow and I suspect more opens than normal. We used long range on our heifers last year for the first time, had not considered it until I read this thread. Like CC the only management change was the long range. I will have a better idea after tomorrow but I know some are open we saw them standing after we pulled the bull.

Gizmom

We used it this spring for the first time (Long Range). I can say that the immediate results are obvious; the cows have less hair and no flies as of yet. We are also feeding Vitaferm Heat, which helps with flies. The shedding is what amazes me. We are in a hair shedding study with the university extension, and in May have to give scores to all the cows on how much hair they have (for several years). My numbers will be way lower this year (meaning less hair), which is good.
We only used the Long Range in the cows, calves, and two yearling bulls. We DID NOT use it in the show heifer string (mostly fall weanlings and spring yearlings- because we WANT hair on our heifers, lol). In the spring yearlings on pasture, conception does not seem to be an issue (just bred right after injection). I will watch the fall heifers closely when breeding next fall, now I am a bit concerned. I did read on the box AFTER we were done to NOT use it in bulls, so I was a bit worried. However, the April bull we sold to Texas was just tested this morning and passed his BSE with flying colors (he had to be deferred the first test because he had a hair ring on his penis, and after removing it there was blood in the sample so it did not pass).
My vet does not recommend using Long Range in cows, ONLY because people tend to underestimate the weight of their cows, and thus do not give enough which will lead to resistance. We weigh every animal every time they enter the chute, so we know we gave the most accurate dosage. I can say the stuff is THICK!

I use both but the pour on is a must, lice outbreak this spring in one pasture. The injectable I use is only good for 30 days so I use it if I think I need immediate results or will use it at the same time as the pour on. Also here in FEVER TICK country both injectable and pour on help prevent those.

I used long range last spring on 60 heifers. There was 5 opens after 60 days with a clean up bull. These were sale barn heifers from unknown sources. I was satisfied with the conception rate and they grew real well over the summer.

Latest posts