Inforce 3 vaccine for newborn calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Jamiemw20

Reaction score
Anyone used Inforce 3 intranasal vaccine for newborn calves and noticed any difference in calves as far as getting sick less. I have ordered some to try because we have lost 4 calves due to scours, respiratory issues in newborns lately.

We use Inforce3 AND First Defence at birth, and have not had a case of scours since we started (Jan). First Defence is great stuff, and we no longer need to vaccinate the cows 30 days prior to calving with Calf Guard (or was it scour guard???), so it eliminated the need to run the cow through the chute another time.

Jamiemw20":2rw7rc77 said:
Anyone used Inforce 3 intranasal vaccine for newborn calves and noticed any difference in calves as far as getting sick less. I have ordered some to try because we have lost 4 calves due to scours, respiratory issues in newborns lately.

I could say no.  I could say yes.  Probably the best response is you never know what would have been if you had not used it.

Bright Raven":25htb1sz said:
Jamiemw20":25htb1sz said:

I could say no.  I could say yes.  Probably the best response is you never know what would have been if you had not used it.

X2

This vaccine is like the rest of them I use. Who knows.... Never had much of a problem before, haven't had much of a problem since. Have had some problems before, have also had some problems since. But I don't feel guilty for not doing everything I could. What's that worth?

Bright Raven":3287qzdz said:
kenny thomas":3287qzdz said:
If I'm reading the label correctly it says the First Defense and the Inforce 3 should not be given together. Label says it will neutralize the vaccine.

The manufacturer's information on both these vaccines does not state any neutralization of either vaccine when Inforce 3 and First Defense are used at the same time.  If you can produce that information, I would be grateful.

What I have read is the following when using First Defense:

Do not use with modified-live oral coronavirus or rotavirus vaccines at birth, as the antibodies in First Defense may neutralize the vaccine. Each package contains 5 single dose capsules.
Looked again and you are correct. Sorry, I retract my post.

Inforce 3 is an intranasal vaccine  for Bovine Rhinotracheitis, Parainfluenza3, and Respiratory Syncytial Virus Vaccine.  Although they are in a MLV preparation it has nothing in common with coronavirus or rotavirus.

I would appreciate in deepest appreciation if you have found information I am unaware of because I use Inforce 3 and First Defense at the same time in newborn calves.
You are correct, I just deleted my post. Please delete your post and there will be no misinformation.

Stocker Steve":owrxzw4u said:
Son of Butch":owrxzw4u said:
We use inforce 3 in newborns, my vet loves it to death and has us giving it on arrival to anything we buy under 500 lbs.

What happens with over 500 lbs. ?

Inforce 3 is an intranasal vaccine for Bovine Rhinotracheitis, Parainfluenza3, and Respiratory Syncytial Virus.  It can be given to any age or weight animal.  However, most Cattleman use an FP 5 vaccine on breeding age animals.

Stocker Steve":2ej0bqt0 said:
Son of Butch":2ej0bqt0 said:
We use inforce 3 in newborns, my vet loves it to death and has us giving it on arrival to anything we buy under 500 lbs.

What happens with over 500 lbs. ?
Animals over 500 lbs with unknown history get Vira Shield 6 a killed vaccine on arrival, even though vet says given 'em all inforce 3 for rapid response. It's the flyweights that give us more respiratory trouble.

I don't like stressing lightweight arrivals and wait 8 days or more and then give them modified live shots.
Vet says not to worry about any intranasal vaccines causing stress.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3tp01por said:
We use Inforce3 AND First Defence at birth, and have not had a case of scours since we started (Jan). First Defence is great stuff, and we no longer need to vaccinate the cows 30 days prior to calving with Calf Guard (or was it scour guard???), so it eliminated the need to run the cow through the chute another time.
Scour Bos? Every calf here gets a First Defense bolus and I've been considering Inforce3 as well.

Latest posts