Info that was asked about my farm…

Help Support CattleToday:

mobgrazer

Reaction score
I tried to post this an hour ago but me and cattle today did not like each other at the time.

I'll have to explain the pic of how our fields are set up. Most of our pastures are about 200 acres. There stair stepped up the side of a horse shoe shaped hill so the pastures fairly level but not square like the pic I'm going to post. There is a main road that runs up the middle that's used for moving the cattle form field to field and is our drive way to our house.

pasture_setup.JPG

Down the main road there is a 6" hard plastic light green pipe (I can't think of the name for them). It branches off there is a man hole with 3" lines to go out into the pastures. The 3" lines run near the center of the fields next to the fence with a man hole about every 1,500'. In these man holes there is a T with a valve and have a 3" cam fitting for fast hose movement. I tap the line with a 3" cam fitting reduce down to 2" and have a shut off for easy movement from manhole to manhole that happens about ever 6 days or longer depending on stocking rates. The outside and inside fences are 6 strand smooth electric wire.

When I bought this land it was an over run crop land. It had sat for years and my plan was to raise some cattle and to grow irrigated hay and alfalfa. The land was already set up in stair step fashion with trees growing between fields with fairly steep hills.

I added the irrigation system in 80 and 81 with help of an engineer that helped me with the design (he is now my father in-law) and one of my two employees (this is if I can get him to work). My other employee is my oldest daughter and she works a lot harder and I pay her a lot less.

The water is pumped out of a stream on the other side of the hill. It is set up for 3 Ram pumps but currently use 2 for watering my cows. There is a shed with a holding tank for a basement that the pumps pump into and the water flows out by the 6" lines. It has an overflow to send the water down the hill into ditches. The upper pastures have about 80' of head and the lower pastures have around 160' of head. This system worked well for years being able to water about 10 acres at a time but the part of moving all the piping every day sucked; I did this for about 15 years till it cost to much to maintain the irrigation system and I was building a nice heard and could afford to support my family with less hay cutting.

I will add the information on how I have my water / mineral trailers set up sometime tomorrow.

the difficulty seems in my sit is the odd size of my land...the existing fencing....not the shape of the actual land as much. refencing aint happening...i got the 20 mins a day on the tractor...i do more than that now...so how do ya werk out the mobile fencing....havent been able to justify the work or could never afford it anyways...

sounds like youve put alot of work into your place over the years.an have the watering system to the pastures setup like you want it.an you cant bet hard working hired hands.

Dieselbeef… I don't want to talk anyone into changing there farming style. I have been in a dozen PM's with people that wanted me to post this info when ever I got a chance to do it. Yesterday someone asked in a different thread so I decided to get it over with in a thread for all to see if they wanted to. If a few people get a good idea off what I post then it's worth it.

Bigbull338… Yes I have put in a lot of hard work over the years. I have hired help a few times when it was necessary but I love to do the work my self. My wife forced me to hire help both times I had surgery and my father in law dose help when I work the cows, I'm cutting hay, or have a big project going on. I would not have bought this place if the person before me did not level out the fields to grow corn on. It was not good for corn but looking at the native vegetation that was growing I know it had potential but just had to work for it. I ended up paying about the same as if it was wooded land because no one wanted it.

I have a 2 trailers and 3 sleds that hold there water, minerals, and salt. The 2 trailers are better for a larger number of cattle and the sleds are good for smaller numbers and younger cows. They have storage boxes to keep extra fence junk, tools, and parts for the floats.

http://www.ranchers.net/photopost/uploa ... railer.JPG

Both of the trailers have 4 places to hold granulated goods. 3 of the bins will hold about 500 pounds and the other one will hold about 300 pounds. I made the bins out of marine grade plywood that I covered in rubber roofing material. I have one of the large bin behind the axle and the other 3 in front of the axle.

They have 2 water tanks on each one. The tanks are made of a food grade plastic and hold about 40 gallons each. There located behind the axle. I have a pipe connecting the 2 tanks at the top and one at the bottom. There is a float on the one tank and a drain on the other. With freezing weather I put a hose on the drain and run the hose under the fence (my winters are not harsh).

I use a 2" poly line to feed the float. The last 150' or so that the cattle walk on is sleeved in an old 3" poly pie to help with damage off the cattle's feet.

I'm able to move these trailers with my 91 Olds Brovada all wheal drive unless the fields are soft. With soft fields I use a dooly or a 4 wheel drive tractor.

The trailers are made with an old dooly axle and I use scarp I beams for a frame. The I beams sit right on the axles. I used box tubing to support the feeders and the waters. I have right at 8 inches of clearance.

The sleds only have one 40 gallon tank and have 3 feed boxes that hold about 200 pounds each. I'm able to pull them with my Brovada when it's soft but when it's muddy I use something with more power.

I use 4 old seed boxes that have augers on them to fill the bins. We use bulk goods and this makes it easy to fill them twice a week or so.

mobgrazer":15qh5726 said:
I have a 2 trailers and 3 sleds that hold there water, minerals, and salt. The 2 trailers are better for a larger number of cattle and the sleds are good for smaller numbers and younger cows. They have storage boxes to keep extra fence junk, tools, and parts for the floats.

trailer.JPG

Both of the trailers have 4 places to hold granulated goods. 3 of the bins will hold about 500 pounds and the other one will hold about 300 pounds. I made the bins out of marine grade plywood that I covered in rubber roofing material. I have one of the large bin behind the axle and the other 3 in front of the axle.

They have 2 water tanks on each one. The tanks are made of a food grade plastic and hold about 40 gallons each. There located behind the axle. I have a pipe connecting the 2 tanks at the top and one at the bottom. There is a float on the one tank and a drain on the other. With freezing weather I put a hose on the drain and run the hose under the fence (my winters are not harsh).

I use a 2" poly line to feed the float. The last 150' or so that the cattle walk on is sleeved in an old 3" poly pie to help with damage off the cattle's feet.

I'm able to move these trailers with my 91 Olds Brovada all wheal drive unless the fields are soft. With soft fields I use a dooly or a 4 wheel drive tractor.

The trailers are made with an old dooly axle and I use scarp I beams for a frame. The I beams sit right on the axles. I used box tubing to support the feeders and the waters. I have right at 8 inches of clearance.

The sleds only have one 40 gallon tank and have 3 feed boxes that hold about 200 pounds each. I'm able to pull them with my Brovada when it's soft but when it's muddy I use something with more power.

I use 4 old seed boxes that have augers on them to fill the bins. We use bulk goods and this makes it easy to fill them twice a week or so.

Latest posts