Info on Cooking a steak

Help Support CattleToday:

Interesting article Jo. I find it puzzling as to why there is a t bone or perhaps porterhouse pictured covered in salt as they are one of the best cuts of steak after tenderloin..

hillsdown":32umkf25 said:
I find it puzzling as to why there is a t bone or perhaps porterhouse pictured covered in salt as they are one of the best cuts of steak after tenderloin..
You didn't read the article did you? It explains why in great detail.

ga. prime":2nxig0wt said:
hillsdown":2nxig0wt said:
I find it puzzling as to why there is a t bone or perhaps porterhouse pictured covered in salt as they are one of the best cuts of steak after tenderloin..
You didn't read the article did you? It explains why in great detail.

Umm ya I did BTW.........I want to see this technique used on a crappy cut of meat like a blade or round steak..Even a choice cut of t bone is still tender and juicy..and expensive..Show it being used on a 2.99 a pound cut not a 6.99 a pound cut..

Son in law does this then cooks what he calls "blackened steak". Dips it in olive oil, then covers it with the blackening rub...has a large cast iron skillet on the gas grill getting as hot as possible. Plop that steak down into the cast iron skillet....cook it 2 minutes on each side.....medium rare, juicy and out of this world.

TexasBred":129kvquk said:
Son in law does this then cooks what he calls "blackened steak". Dips it in olive oil, then covers it with the blackening rub...has a large cast iron skillet on the gas grill getting as hot as possible. Plop that steak down into the cast iron skillet....cook it 2 minutes on each side.....medium rare, juicy and out of this world.

I saw a version of this on Good Eats but he but the skillet in the oven to get it hot. I tried this once and it was surprisingly good.

Okay, I've gotta ask. How would this affect the amrinade I soak the meat in overnight? Am I supposed to give up marinading, marinade and dry it off before seasoning??? Of course, I don't call a choice ribeye a bad cut of meat. That's actually my favorite.

1982vett":1qu194rz said:
What more "marinade" does one need besides salt and pepper?

hummm....just a bit of garlic adds a little flavor to it...otherwise not one thing more. Pass the plate vett. ;-)

brandonm_13":2z772w8g said:
Okay, I've gotta ask. How would this affect the amrinade I soak the meat in overnight? Am I supposed to give up marinading, marinade and dry it off before seasoning??? Of course, I don't call a choice ribeye a bad cut of meat. That's actually my favorite.

A lot of the marinades have a lot of salt in them. This might explain why. I don't think this would hurt the marinade at all. I like to marinate mine too so I'll let you know when I cook it this way cause I still like my Dale's.

Well Joe

How did it turn out or has anyone else tried it yet?? I haven't not had the chance to try it yet

Auburn_Ag":bql8wpw7 said:
Well Joe

How did it turn out or has anyone else tried it yet?? I haven't not had the chance to try it yet

Haven't tried it yet. Been on a pork kick here lately. Tommorrow it will be turkey.

Auburn_Ag":32m6keoa said:
Well Joe

I tried it on a few supermarket clubsteaks of very average quality, it worked surprisingly good. The steaks were about 3/4" thick and left it for 30 mins crusted with coarse salt both sides before washing and drying it off.

Unfortunately I didn't keep one steak as a control, so my experiment isn't worth much as a reference.

KNERSIE":uyhcs680 said:
Auburn_Ag":uyhcs680 said:
Well Joe

I tried it on a few supermarket clubsteaks of very average quality, it worked surprisingly good. The steaks were about 3/4" thick and left it for 30 mins crusted with coarse salt both sides before washing and drying it off.

Unfortunately I didn't keep one steak as a control, so my experiment isn't worth much as a reference.

Thanks KNERSIE for the info, I have plans of trying it but I just haven't had the time.

I did this on a chuck roast over the weekend. Had a 4-1/2 pound roast, coated it with kosher and Lawry's Seasoned Salt and let it sit for an hour. Washed and dried it off, then cooked like I normally do.

Normal cooking involves searing/browning in a heavy frying pan with a little soy sauce. Once all sides and edges are seared, remove roast from pan and place in dutch oven. Take 2 shots of Jack Daniels and put them in a frying pan to loosen up brown crust and meat giblets off pan, then add mixture to roast along with 6 cups of chicken broth. Cook for a couple of hours on low heat and then add vegetables.

I must say, this meat was excellent and had a good salt flavor thru and thru. No additional salt was needed for the entire recipe, as the meat had plenty for it and the juice.

This is a great tip, but I can see where it could really get away from you if you use too much salt of salt for too long. That meat really sucks it in...

I tried it with t-bones a couple of weeks ago and it turned out good. I do think I need to do try it with a sirloin or something of lower quality though.

TexasBred":84rsc5om said:
1982vett":84rsc5om said:

hummm....just a bit of garlic adds a little flavor to it...otherwise not one thing more. Pass the plate vett. ;-)
A little course ground pepper, course ground salt and a little lowery season salt is all you need
I have heard of some people using a concoction called steak sauce on them after they are cooked I don't know if this is the truth but it is what I have been told in my house that would get ya hung

Angus Cowman":1ej0q8rz said:
TexasBred":1ej0q8rz said:
1982vett":1ej0q8rz said:

A little course ground pepper, course ground salt and a little lowery season salt is all you need
I have heard of some people using a concoction called steak sauce on them after they are cooked I don't know if this is the truth but it is what I have been told in my house that would get ya hung

Steak sauce is for those that can't cook a steak...