Influence of MLV FP Vaccinces

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Anyone who is doing AI needs to be aware of additional research that is proving that administering MLV for the group of Fetal Protection viruses at 30 days or less prebreeding can significantly reduce AI conception. What is occurring is the IBR component of the Fetal Protection vaccine is causing the immune response in the ovary to disrupt normal estrus functions.

First, this has nothing to do with other MLV vaccines like Calf Guard. So don't blame this on the entire group of MLV vaccines on the market.

Second, it doesn't mean you should stop using a MLV vaccine for Fetal Protection. It just means to use it more than 30 days before you intend to AI the cow or heifer.

With my tight calving/breeding schedule, it was always challenging to be more than 30 days prior to breeding, so last year I gave the shots pre-breeding, then when I did my fall work-up, I hit them again with MLV - FP. So, from now on, I don't have to vaccinate prior to breeding - just keep hitting them in the fall so that they are always in a 12 month window. This way, I can vaccinate the sucking calves with a MLV at 3 months and again at 4 months of age.

I have a defined calving season 45- 60 days it makes it so easy when it comes to vaccinating. Start calving first of Sept done by the end of Oct, A I is always around 1st or 2nd of Dec, vaccinations always early Nov just works great.
I think the 30 is just a number all they really want is to have them cycle before.

bse said:
I have a defined calving season 45- 60 days it makes it so easy when it comes to vaccinating. Start calving first of Sept done by the end of Oct, A I is always around 1st or 2nd of Dec, vaccinations always early Nov just works great.
I think the 30 is just a number all they really want is to have them cycle before.

That is my schedule also. I vaccinate the 20th of October. Then will start AI Thanksgiving.

Never had much of an issue in natural service. Have vaccinated BG FP5 VL5 45 days before, up to 0 days. Never had an issue with heats or conception.

Latest posts