Inflation

Help Support CattleToday:

Robins are protected under the migratory bird law, so it is illegal to kill them. You will have to stick to coon and rabbit since they are legal to kill.
Do you think when someone is hungry that they think about whether its legal to kill a bird or not? I seriously doubt it.

Do you think when someone is hungry that they think about whether its legal to kill a bird or not? I seriously doubt it.
No, and they won't worry about who owns the cow they slaughter either.
There is a pretty powerful movie called The Day After. It is/was pretty realistic for it's time (1983) and even today, remains the most watched movie in TV history.
In the movie, there is a very believable scene where a Kansas rancher (dude that played Holling Vincouer on Northern Exposure) that ventures out of his shelter after a nuclear attack, and finds a group of men huddled around a fire and one of his dead cows laying nearby. They are eating it. He explains it is his land, his cow and asks them to leave. One of them shoots him dead without a bit of remorse.
A very condensed version. (I think the original came on 3 nights)

You can go in any direction except directly toward it. On the Texas coast, you can't take any route in the Eastern quadrant but you can travel due South, SSW, SW, West, WNW, NW, North and the farther North you get you can then turn NNE, NE or East and miss the storm.
If I were in Corpus with landfall predicted to be Corpus, I would go SW or WSW or even WNW but would avoid travel directly West or North unless I went West then SW.. Those 2 are where everyone else is going.
I thought the same thing but when one of those hurricanes that came was bouncing between corpus and us (might have been Harvey) I tried calling for a hotel in Laredo, Hebronville, Zapata, etc. They were all booked, full. They told me it was all hurricane evacuees.

I would like to add this here not related to Robins. My Dad lived during the depression. Many times he said when you heard something going on in the chicken house at night it is apt to be your neighbor stealing a chicken and not a varmint.

You don't eat robin . You don't eat people and you think folks aint going to head for the hills. .....I give you a week Dave....at least tell me your house isn't visible from the road.. 😉
Yes I would eat a Robin. I even did one time as a kid. But there are a lot of things better to eat here which I would eat first. To this point I have tried to avoid eating people. I don't live on Donner Pass. I absolutely believe people will be heading for the hills. But which hills and which people? I believe it is the people from the large metro areas to be of the biggest concern. For me that is Portland. It is 327 miles from down town Portland to the freeway exit here. That is a longs way on a single tank of gas for a lot of vehicles. I-84 is the only east/west road. Then there are no services here. Why stop for an area with about 10 widely scattered houses? You can't see my house from the freeway. You would have to double back on a country road about 1.5 miles and then turn up a country road. If you have a map or GPS (if that is working) it will show that it is 20 miles up that road to the next anything. My house is about 3 miles up that road. Only one other place before me. Can't see my house until you are within half a mile. Some of those people might show up here but it would be in small numbers. I think the large numbers would stop at the big intense agriculture areas along the route.

Yes I would eat a Robin. I even did one time as a kid. But there are a lot of things better to eat here which I would eat first. To this point I have tried to avoid eating people. I don't live on Donner Pass. I absolutely believe people will be heading for the hills. But which hills and which people? I believe it is the people from the large metro areas to be of the biggest concern. For me that is Portland. It is 327 miles from down town Portland to the freeway exit here. That is a longs way on a single tank of gas for a lot of vehicles. I-84 is the only east/west road. Then there are no services here. Why stop for an area with about 10 widely scattered houses? You can't see my house from the freeway. You would have to double back on a country road about 1.5 miles and then turn up a country road. If you have a map or GPS (if that is working) it will show that it is 20 miles up that road to the next anything. My house is about 3 miles up that road. Only one other place before me. Can't see my house until you are within half a mile. Some of those people might show up here but it would be in small numbers. I think the large numbers would stop at the big intense agriculture areas along the route.
That's pretty good I guess.
I got mine a half mile inside the gate and a mile from the public road. Don't think I could live with people able to drive by and see the house.

An interesting thread about what to do in case of a nuclear attack. All the planning is good, but in the end one better be ready to meet their Maker. THINGS won't matter.

It would be similar to the ones who got covid, and while on the ventilator to doctors told the family if he miraculously lives we'll have to amputate his legs because of the blood clots, and be on oxygen for the rest of his live.

Hard to know what all to stock up with and for how long.
I think we have a lot of food on hand...but maybe not...

Countless humans have survived on nothing but livestock. If you have cows, salt and ammunition you're doing pretty good.
There would have to be a paradigm shift on the way we manage cattle to survive a calamity that shuts down all commerce.

An interesting thread about what to do in case of a nuclear attack. All the planning is good, but in the end one better be ready to meet their Maker. THINGS won't matter.

It would be similar to the ones who got covid, and while on the ventilator to doctors told the family if he miraculously lives we'll have to amputate his legs because of the blood clots, and be on oxygen for the rest of his live.
Yes some health conditions are worse than death.

My first marriage.........
Your post reminds me of what a woman in Sunday School class told me about what happened. It was a mixed couples class and the man that was teaching the class was making the point that Jesus experienced any and every thing that man has experienced. A quiet little soft woman's voice in the class exclaimed he was never married.