Inflation

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
When I was a kid, an elderly gentleman lived up the road and would walk down every day to play ball with my brother and I and he would go to all of our little league games. He was a special man and he was a WW1 veteran. He had 40 acres and 37 years ago, when he passed away, I was supposed to buy his farm, but the nephew from out of state sold it to someone else. He sold it for 1,000 dollars. There has been 3.5 acres cut off with a house on it, and there are only 36.5 acres of it left. I finally got to purchase it yesterday. It cost 70,000 and would have cost alot more, but no one else knew the bank that had it was going to sell it. After word got out it was going to sell, there were better offers than what I paid, and they said the person who sold it to me had no authority, but I had a signed contract. As it is, in 37 years, the place only went from 1,000 to 70,000 even though it lost 3.5 acres---now, that is inflation in the hills. It now has 24 beautiful red horned cows with 450 lbs calves that I bought off an ad in craigslist, so it is off to a good start.

Well done stocky. bet that old guy would be well pleased you got it, and didn't have to pay through the nose for it..Land is going for a song at the moment, over here. but as for inflation 32 years ago we bought a house for £8000, now it is worth £510,000.

Well, that is just awesome.

Way to go Stocky, I'm glad you got it. I'm sure you will make the ole guy proud. Keep on Farmin!

Dub

stocky":1gocay3x said:
When I was a kid, an elderly gentleman lived up the road and would walk down every day to play ball with my brother and I and he would go to all of our little league games. He was a special man and he was a WW1 veteran. He had 40 acres and 37 years ago, when he passed away, I was supposed to buy his farm, but the nephew from out of state sold it to someone else. He sold it for 1,000 dollars. There has been 3.5 acres cut off with a house on it, and there are only 36.5 acres of it left. I finally got to purchase it yesterday. It cost 70,000 and would have cost alot more, but no one else knew the bank that had it was going to sell it. After word got out it was going to sell, there were better offers than what I paid, and they said the person who sold it to me had no authority, but I had a signed contract. As it is, in 37 years, the place only went from 1,000 to 70,000 even though it lost 3.5 acres---now, that is inflation in the hills. It now has 24 beautiful red horned cows with 450 lbs calves that I bought off an ad in craigslist, so it is off to a good start.

Stocky sometimes things just seem to have a way of working themselves out in spite of other folks gettin' in the way. Cost you some money but still looks like a great bargain. Kick the price up to about 250 grand and see if those other guys are still interested. (Just joking)...Enjoy your new place as I'm sure the old man is finally smiling. ;-)