Inferior, Over Vaccinated and Over Treated Northern Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Gcreekrch ask me to post these for him. He is so far back in the wilderness they still use smoke signals.

651g5i.jpg

2m60ghy.jpg

1zl42gz.jpg

2qlzfxi.jpg

[Those calves are subjected to "extreme" temperature swings and there for will be sickly as well. LOL]

Nice looking crew.

Cheers.

Nice looking calves, and good looking setup for feeding them too. Always like to see cattle, and especially like it when there are some white faces in the bunch.

Looks like pretty harsh conditions Gcreek. Are these your trade cattle or home bred? There seems to be a couple a bit bigger, possibly cows?

Ken

Those calves are looking good gcreek. As for the troughs, did those come from the Hutterites? I see a lot of those in this country these days.

Silver":ydz89dew said:
Those calves are looking good gcreek. As for the troughs, did those come from the Hutterites? I see a lot of those in this country these days.

Gcreekrch is in NE Alberta. Not sure where you are, but is he far from you?

Bright Raven":28gjin0y said:
Silver":28gjin0y said:

Gcreek is in the BC interior, I'm about four hundred miles north of him in the Peace River country.

Silver":349rgyeg said:
Bright Raven":349rgyeg said:
Silver":349rgyeg said:

Gcreek is in the BC interior, I'm about four hundred miles north of him in the Peace River country.

I shot 2 black bear up on the Peace. Funny. I got what I think was giardia from drinking their untreated water. That is a killer. Is he far from Fort St. John. That is a cool town.

Bright Raven":1v0szx6f said:
Silver":1v0szx6f said:
Bright Raven":1v0szx6f said:

I shot 2 black bear up on the Peace. Funny. I got what I think was giardia from drinking their untreated water. That is a killer. Is he far from Fort St. John. That is a cool town.

Fort St. John is our closest town and our place of business. Hudson's Hope is equally close I suppose, but not much for services so we don't get there often.
Gcreek's closest town is Williams Lake, I believe.
Did you get what we call beaver fever? That can be pretty nasty.

Silver":3j7tyzpw said:
Bright Raven":3j7tyzpw said:
Silver":3j7tyzpw said:

Fort St. John is our closest town and our place of business. Hudson's Hope is equally close I suppose, but not much for services so we don't get there often.

Yes. That is what they called it. I think it is giardia.

Bright Raven":t4thi0cb said:
Silver":t4thi0cb said:
Bright Raven":t4thi0cb said:

Yes. That is what they called it. I think it is giardia.

That's never a good experience. Glad you recovered.

Brute 23":ifsxxqix said:
I like those fences

There are miles of them here. First 20 years are pretty much maintenance free if they are constructed properly.

wbvs58":1oz15h2p said:
Looks like pretty harsh conditions Gcreek. Are these your trade cattle or home bred? There seems to be a couple a bit bigger, possibly cows?

Ken

The first and last photos are of our replacement heifers taken about 3 weeks ago. They are getting meadow haylage, a bit of oat silage in chopped bales and 4 lbs of screening pellets daily.

The other two photos are part of 150 light heifers we bought this fall for a witer project. They are getting the same roughage but are getting dry rolled barley and pellets mixed eqaully at 5 lbs total at present. We are expecting our next load of barley soon. By Jan 20, these calves will be getting 5 lbs of barley and 3 lbs of pellets.

We will market them when we see a profit. Likely late March/ early April.

Silver":rxrckxuw said:

Yup, dem boyz down at Warner AB built em' fer us. Dey was the cheapest Colony in dat deal. Free standing panels came from Cleardale and our barley comes from Birch Hills at Wanham. They are all good folks to deal with and many have become good friends.

Silver":2zepcpyo said:
Bright Raven":2zepcpyo said:
Silver":2zepcpyo said:

Silver":2egg6xuj said:
Bright Raven":2egg6xuj said:
Silver":2egg6xuj said:

Correct. We are 4 hours west of Williams Lake on the Bella Coola Highway 20.

I got beaver fever quite often when I was younger...............

gcreekrch":1mk0lmkd said:
wbvs58":1mk0lmkd said:

Ken

The first and last photos are of our replacement heifers taken about 3 weeks ago. They are getting meadow haylage, a bit of oat silage in chopped bales and 4 lbs of screening pellets daily.

The other two photos are part of 150 light heifers we bought this fall for a witer project. They are getting the same roughage but are getting dry rolled barley and pellets mixed eqaully at 5 lbs total at present. We are expecting our next load of barley soon. By Jan 20, these calves will be getting 5 lbs of barley and 3 lbs of pellets.

We will market them when we see a profit. Likely late March/ early April.

Where would they be likely to go after you unload them Creek? I would have thought that you would be maintaining them over winter and have ready them to go onto spring/summer pasture??

Ken

Latest posts