Inferior, Over Vaccinated and Over Treated Northern Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58":77ho99jp said:
gcreekrch":77ho99jp said:
wbvs58":77ho99jp said:
Looks like pretty harsh conditions Gcreek. Are these your trade cattle or home bred? There seems to be a couple a bit bigger, possibly cows?

Ken

The first and last photos are of our replacement heifers taken about 3 weeks ago. They are getting meadow haylage, a bit of oat silage in chopped bales and 4 lbs of screening pellets daily.

The other two photos are part of 150 light heifers we bought this fall for a witer project. They are getting the same roughage but are getting dry rolled barley and pellets mixed eqaully at 5 lbs total at present. We are expecting our next load of barley soon. By Jan 20, these calves will be getting 5 lbs of barley and 3 lbs of pellets.

We will market them when we see a profit. Likely late March/ early April.

Where would they be likely to go after you unload them Creek? I would have thought that you would be maintaining them over winter and have ready them to go onto spring/summer pasture??

Ken

If they are under 700 lbs which they likely will be, they would go to grass. If over that weight they would usually end up in a feedlot.

We do have grass for them if we choose to go that route. That is one thing we have lots of. We have just seen better profits on the anticipation of the spring grass market.

wbvs58":3hvsummy said:
I understand, in spring there is a ready market for them to people who have grass and want to utilise it.

Ken

Correct, commonly known as "grass guys" up here. "Grass guys" can be big feedlots wanting to stockpile cattle, farmers and ranchers who grass yearlings every year and those using cattle as a tax break on their acreages. A couple of the acreage guys (some have a lot of acres) both wanting your cattle are welcome sights at a sale.

gcreekrch":1skmir06 said:
wbvs58":1skmir06 said:
I understand, in spring there is a ready market for them to people who have grass and want to utilise it.

Ken

Correct, commonly known as "grass guys" up here. "Grass guys" can be big feedlots wanting to stockpile cattle, farmers and ranchers who grass yearlings every year and those using cattle as a tax break on their acreages. A couple of the acreage guys (some have a lot of acres) both wanting your cattle are welcome sights at a sale.

It's a good plan. Nobody ever seem more optimistic than a feller in the spring with credit, land and expectations of grass. You will do well I'm sure.

Couple of gcreekrch's bulls.
r02xr8.jpg

bdqdl0.jpg

True Grit Farms":s6jhi6h2 said:
I hope the pictures do them no justice.

Let me explain. Creek operates an experimental breeding station funded by the Royal Canadian Cattle Breeders Association. These are prototypes of a new breed. That is all I can tell you at this time.

Bright Raven":3o1pkcdg said:
True Grit Farms":3o1pkcdg said:

Let me explain. Creek operates an experimental breeding station funded by the Royal Canadian Cattle Breeders Association. These are prototypes of a new breed. That is all I can tell you at this time.

TG speaks like a True BSer from the diagonal other side of NA. When you spend a year in my shoes you might be qualified to comment. I call these "Whose Yer Daddy?" bulls. The red one is kinda ugly at his 2 year old "Special Mix Calf Ration" deprived status. He also just came wandering out of the bush a few days before this and was wondering if my truck riding dogs was a wolf or not.

We keep several bull calves a year based on their Momma's attributes and the fact that all the bulls here are the type we want and open range doesn't allow me a single sire setup. They work for me and the guys that buy my calves. That's all that counts.

gcreekrch":jgvltgeh said:
Bright Raven":jgvltgeh said:
True Grit Farms":jgvltgeh said:

TG speaks like a True BSer from the diagonal other side of NA. When you spend a year in my shoes you might be qualified to comment. I call these "Whose Yer Daddy?" bulls. The red one is kinda ugly at his 2 year old "Special Mix Calf Ration" deprived status. He also just came wandering out of the bush a few days before this and was wondering if my truck riding dogs was a wolf or not.

We keep several bull calves a year based on their Momma's attributes and the fact that all the bulls here are the type we want and open range doesn't allow me a single sire setup. They work for me and the guys that buy my calves. That's all that counts.
your right ...

Latest posts