Inducing Labor

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
I was talking with my vet over the phone, and he was tossing out options, and inducing one of them. Has anyone done this? And if you have, what did you like/dislike, done differently if had the chance? etc., etc.....

Thank you for any info!

Michele

Retained placenta is the biggest risk. That and severe uterine infections.

Are you thinking of trying to induce those heifers NOW, rather than let them go full-term?

We have induced the occaisonal cow. I would only use it as a last ditch type thing, and when we have used it, it was with animals with severe vaginal prolapse's before they calved. In both cases, the cows that were induced didn't clean, which would lower their chances to rebreed on time. However, in our case, it did not matter whether they would rebreed, as they were high on the cull list by then.

When inducing a cow, you are going to want to wait as long as possible to make sure that the calf has developed enough. Both of ours would have been around 2-3 weeks early. The drugs that we used were Dexamethasone, and Estrumate.

The biggest cons to inducing an animal IMO, are that the cow will probably not clean, and that unless you have an actual breeding/calving date (and are sure of it) you have difficulty knowing just how close the cow is to calving.

Pros in our case, were that we got a live calf out of a cow with a severe vaginal prolapse, with the least amount of money put into her. And of course, you "know" (within 48+/- hours) when she will calve.

No final decisions have been made... I was just curious on a few things and started talking with the vet over the phone this morning.

Without going into too much detail.... I was extremely curious when he brought up the inducing option....

based on my own personal experience having (4) babies.
1 - natural no problems
2 - problems started to arise - needed to be induced
3 - ruptured appendix very late in pregnancy - let's call this one a hard pull
4 - C-section

This is in order of their actual births and 1 and 2 took virtually no time for me to recuperate.
And #4 being very hard on me.

Anyway I was applying my own experience to how hard potentially to the heifer(s) in question for the various options. To me, inducing would be the best option after natural/no problems.

Obviously, I understand there would be fine line between calf too large to be safe for the heifer and inducing too soon to be unsafe for the calf.

So in my mind - rationalization was, less invasive to heifer than an extremely hard pull or C-section.

Less expensive than a C-section.

Also, if we induce, we know when it is going to happen.... no chance for the heifer to possibly go unattended, because we all know, a couple of hours in need of help and not getting it can cost the price of the heifer and calf.

This is not a heifer I would even consider rebreeding... she is destined to the big freezer in the sky. She has prolonged her life in as much as she can take care of the calf.

I really appreciate your experiences to help me make an informed decision!

Please keep comments coming! You are all very helpful!

With 3 out of 4 requiring help I'd say you're due for quite a few unassisted births, statistically speaking. On an average year, I will pull 1 or 2 calves for every 50 cows.

While I don't advocate neglecting your cattle, I believe there is such a thing as too much worry and intervention. They are animals, having survived on this earth for thousands of years without us wiping their butts and noses everyday. Every now and then you will have to assist/doctor on them, but this should be the exception, not the rule. I applaud your enthusiasm and the care you are willing to give your animals, they should all be so lucky. But in the same notion, I don't believe in forcing nature's hand, just be prepared to play the cards when they are dealt.

Good luck with your heifer, she should do fine on her own. We've had similar situations where everything turned out just fine.

cfpinz

cfpinz":1q5faae5 said:
With 3 out of 4 requiring help I'd say you're due for quite a few unassisted births, statistically speaking. On an average year, I will pull 1 or 2 calves for every 50 cows.

While I don't advocate neglecting your cattle, I believe there is such a thing as too much worry and intervention. They are animals, having survived on this earth for thousands of years without us wiping their butts and noses everyday. Every now and then you will have to assist/doctor on them, but this should be the exception, not the rule. I applaud your enthusiasm and the care you are willing to give your animals, they should all be so lucky. But in the same notion, I don't believe in forcing nature's hand, just be prepared to play the cards when they are dealt.

Good luck with your heifer, she should do fine on her own. We've had similar situations where everything turned out just fine.

cfpinz

:lol: :lol: :lol: If I was unclear I apologize, but the 4 births I outlined were my own, as in my kids! And they were over a period of several years.! I was just trying to relate my experience/recovery in different situations to the heifers. (for crying outload - I am comparing myself to a cow! how many women like to do that willingly!! :D :shock: :D )
and how well they may or may not respond and come through.

Also I am refering to the immature heifer that is expecting.... I know I may worry and life happens. But the last thing I ever want is a heifer/cow dieing while having their calf. I have had it happen and I do what I can to prevent it.

Now that's funny. Somehow I have this image in my head now of your husband standing there with the calf jack! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now this is what gets me: If a woman compares herself to a cow it's OK, but if a man compares her to a cow, he's gonna have a black eye at a bare minimum. :lol:

Latest posts