Indiana alcohol laws

Help Support CattleToday:

john250

Reaction score
To start, you can only buy cold beer in a liquor store; and no sales on Sunday. Restaurants got to sell drinks on Sunday a few years ago, because visiting businessmen and tourists are lost souls who will spend more money here if they can drink.
So, a convenience store operator (or his lawyer) figured out that if you qualify as a restaurant you can sell cold beer on Sunday, for carryout. 26 seats. $200 K in food sales. The liquor store lobby is having a fit. The liquor stores are a powerfull lobby. They are on a first name basis with every legislator, because they see him/her every Friday night. It has gotten crazy. Drunk drivers are going to be rampant, and kids who hang around convenience stores will be corupted. All because cold beer can be sold. Most every convenience store in Indiana sells warm beer and ice. That's a 5 min transformation. I'm going to run for the legislature, so lobbyists will buy me drinks and shrimp coctails at St. Elmo's.

That's a dilemma for sure. We have a law where you can't buy a mixed drink in a bar and you can only buy a bottle of liquor at a liquor store. The reasoning for this is if you could buy liquor by the drink you might get drunk and you'd be a threat to society. So what our local watering holes have done is to build a partition in the building and install two doors. One door goes into the liquor store where you can get Sally to sell you a bottle. After your purchase you walk out the door and walk six steps to the other door where you can walk in the bar and get Sally to fix you up with a glass and whatever mixer you desire BUT Sally can't pour it for. No. You have to do that yourself else the law will fine Sally and take her to jail. Since most establishments will charge you a dollar to bring the bottle in most people are thrifty and know they paid good money to bring that bottle in and would view it as a waste of money to walk out the bar with a half full bottle of liquor so they tend to stay long enough to eat the worm.

How our representatives and public servants figured this all out is far above my grasp but it somehow makes sense .....to them.

I wish I had an answer for you but I live in a dry county in OK. Dying of thirst is a real threat here. Did you know that coors makes bottled water? It looks like a regular beer and even has some hop flavor to it.

Jogeephus":145sga26 said:
That's a dilemma for sure. We have a law where you can't buy a mixed drink in a bar and you can only buy a bottle of liquor at a liquor store. The reasoning for this is if you could buy liquor by the drink you might get drunk and you'd be a threat to society. So what our local watering holes have done is to build a partition in the building and install two doors. One door goes into the liquor store where you can get Sally to sell you a bottle. After your purchase you walk out the door and walk six steps to the other door where you can walk in the bar and get Sally to fix you up with a glass and whatever mixer you desire BUT Sally can't pour it for. No. You have to do that yourself else the law will fine Sally and take her to jail. Since most establishments will charge you a dollar to bring the bottle in most people are thrifty and know they paid good money to bring that bottle in and would view it as a waste of money to walk out the bar with a half full bottle of liquor so they tend to stay long enough to eat the worm.

How our representatives and public servants figured this all out is far above my grasp but it somehow makes sense .....to them.
In Nashville in the 60s you couldn't by a mixed drink. But most places had a wall of little doored cubbyholes that they would store your booze in. You bought a set up and they would bring you your bottle. Found that kind of bizarre

Here some of the stores have coolers big enough that you can walk in and get your own cases of beer. Almost every store sells beer and wine, even Walmart. Unless its a mixed drink in a bar Liquor is only sold by the state in their own stores

dun":30z8vwxu said:
In Nashville in the 60s you couldn't by a mixed drink. But most places had a wall of little doored cubbyholes that they would store your booze in. You bought a set up and they would bring you your bottle. Found that kind of bizarre

That's how it used to be at the Elk's Lodge. Each member was given a lock box to keep their bottle in behind the bar and you bought a setup. This way certain members of the community could hold their noses high because no one would ever get drunk 'cept for a few of the community low life's. I, being a dreg of society, found these laws very economical.

We only recently went wet in my county, and I don't know what the rules are. Most groceries and quick stops can sell beer in the case, but walk in Rite Aid and there are two isles that looks like a thriving liquor store.

There was a group that campaigned to go wet on the premise that all the new revenue was going to cause our town to boom. Then, after we get it, it was discovered it's not going to cause a boom as much as they claimed. Now we're stuck with a bunch of crap liquor on every turn, but no huge financial gain.

herofan":1v39l1mf said:
Then, after we get it, it was discovered it's not going to cause a boom as much as they claimed. Now we're stuck with a bunch of crap liquor on every turn, but no huge financial gain.

Have you looked at the taxes each liquor store has to pay each year to open their doors? Multiply this by all the stores you now have and I'd be willing to bet your town bureaucrats came out with a huge windfall which I'm sure they will put to good use in the most efficient manner possible.

The other good thing to is all of the alcohol sold in these stores is taxed so you won't have a bunch of blind folks walking around town because we all no untaxed liquor will blind you with just one sip.

Here, it used to agin the law to advertise "Ice Cold Beer". You could say cold beer, or beer on ice, but not "Ice Cold Beer".

I hate living in a dry county. It is dry only because of money and politics. Come to think of it, don't those two words mean the same thing?

Jogeephus":105i8jth said:
herofan":105i8jth said:
Then, after we get it, it was discovered it's not going to cause a boom as much as they claimed. Now we're stuck with a bunch of crap liquor on every turn, but no huge financial gain.

Have you looked at the taxes each liquor store has to pay each year to open their doors? Multiply this by all the stores you now have and I'd be willing to bet your town bureaucrats came out with a huge windfall which I'm sure they will put to good use in the most efficient manner possible.

The other good thing to is all of the alcohol sold in these stores is taxed so you won't have a bunch of blind folks walking around town because we all no untaxed liquor will blind you with just one sip.

Sure, that's a given, but the financial gains were. Loan out of proportion to the public

I don't drink nor does anyone in my circle of friends and family, so it's just an eye sore for me.

herofan":3ua1h6xy said:
Sure, that's a given, but the financial gains were. Loan out of proportion to the public

I don't drink nor does anyone in my circle of friends and family, so it's just an eye sore for me.

I agree but this is normally the case these predictions are always skewed but as long as the government comes out all is good.

Take our lottery. They promised us if we passed legalized gambling our college tuition would go down because the lottery money would pay to educate our kids. Tuition has increased nearly every year. They also promised they wouldn't advertise if passed but that's all they do now is advertise.

kenny thomas":32h0yexi said:
Here some of the stores have coolers big enough that you can walk in and get your own cases of beer.

I just left a place like that with 10 cases of beer a hour ago.

My thoughts on alcohol are if you are old enough to fight and die for your country why should you be deprived of being able to have a drink ?

skyhightree1":44ld91df said:
My thoughts on alcohol are if you are old enough to fight and die for your country why should you be deprived of being able to have a drink ?

I could agree with that if they show their military ID to purchase it . If not it should be 25yrs old ! most 18 yr olds cant match their own socks much less be responsible under the influence

HDRider":30xfrpod said:
I hate living in a dry county. It is dry only because of money and politics. Come to think of it, don't those two words mean the same thing?
Down here they're dry because of the baptist. But go to the liquor store in the next county and you'll see half the members of the baptist church. Go to the county line for liquor......go to the state line to gamble.

M-5":1o47mrza said:
skyhightree1":1o47mrza said:

I could agree with that if they show their military ID to purchase it . If not it should be 25yrs old ! most 18 yr olds cant match their own socks much less be responsible under the influence

But uncle sam will gladly take a 18 year old and put them in charge of many folks lives and in millions of dollars of equipment. All im saying is if 18 is the age you have to register for the draft and you can lose your life for your country how can you tell someone they can't have a drink ?

Latest posts