Indian Tacos

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I saw some kids eating these of a post about the Red Angus Jr get together on the breeds board. They look great.... I said I wouldn't give up... any recipes out there for Indian Tacos...?

Thanks,
Alan

They are pretty easy to make.

You first cook your hamburger and add taco seasoning to it. Keep warm.
For the fry bread you can get the frozen kind and thaw it out or make your own. Heat about 1" of vegetable oil in an electric skillet. To tell if the oil is hot enough sprinkle a pinch of flour in the oil, if it sizzles it is hot enough. I set mine at around 375 degrees.
Take a hand full of dough and either roll it or pat it into a circle around 1/3" thick. Place carefully into the hot oil. It will cook quickly, once golden brown on one side flip over and cook the other. remove from oil onto a plate with a layer of paper towels. Let cool for a minute.
Top the fried bread with the taco meat and other taco toppings you like.

I forgot that you can also top the fried bread with butter and sprinkle with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.

I luv herfrds":3bacbco2 said:
For the fry bread you can get the frozen kind and thaw it out or make your own.

So it is just regular bread dough, fried instead of baked?? It tastes so different I always thought it was a special dough.

MO_cows":15bh7asp said:
I luv herfrds":15bh7asp said:
For the fry bread you can get the frozen kind and thaw it out or make your own.

So it is just regular bread dough, fried instead of baked?? It tastes so different I always thought it was a special dough.

If I'm correct and understand your question right, fry bread is a type of bread (such as sour dough or french). I'm assuming you can buy fry bread in a package as well as frozen. I have seen fry bread at fairs but have never tried it.... but I will try these tacos.

Alan

MO it is just regular bread dough. Nothing special about it, except it gets fried in oil.

Alan I have never found fried bread in packages or even the store. Making it at home is better.
Know a really nice lady that makes these tacos at different events and I asked her about them, that's why I know how they are made. :D

I luv herfrds":2b2rg3w9 said:
MO it is just regular bread dough. Nothing special about it, except it gets fried in oil.

:D

Well that is good to know. Gonna have to try these now. Thanks for posting the recipe!!

Usually I only get them once a year; there's a vendor in the yards at the NWSS in Denver that sells them as "Navajo Tacos" and they are great.

My indian grandmother would fry it after the first rise. She would stretch it out and fry it in grase, usually bacon but sometimes in some kind of lard or shortening.

You can buy the bread too, I have before. I just can't remember what it is called though.. :? I used to use it to make montecristos.

dun":1s1v1mbl said:
My indian grandmother would fry it after the first rise. She would stretch it out and fry it in grase, usually bacon but sometimes in some kind of lard or shortening.

What did your Grandma make with the bread?

MO_cows":hwib423j said:
dun":hwib423j said:

What did your Grandma make with the bread?

She made the dough strictly to make grease/fry bread. That and flour tortillas were the only bread kind of stuff we had.

My Cherokee grandmother always made fry bread. The only thing different from that and hoe cakes (fried corn bread) is that fry bread is made with flour and hoe cakes or corn bread is made with corn meal. I still make fry bread and hoe cakes all the time. Good stuff, especially with a cold glass of milk.

Latest posts