Incubating some eggs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I've got the little standard issue styrofoam incubator. The thing is as old as I am, but is holding temperature amazingly well considering it's age. I want to try to hatch some eggs. Recomended temperatures seem to vary a couple of degrees, as you search the web. What should my temp be set at? Also, do I need a moist sponge in there for humidity, or not?

warped04":327kwfs2 said:
I'm also assuming chicken.

Yes, it's some chicken eggs. This is a pretty low tech incubator I'm working with. Humidity will probably be relegated by the humidity in the house, unless I add some. What would you do?

i haven't hatched in a long time, usually been buying them already hatched. The humidity is not supposed to be too high in the beginning because it will hurt the developing chicks but needs to be high in the end to help them break the shell.

I'd just go for it and realize your success rate might not be 100%. Remember hens do it without gauges and they make it work. I know that you can't drop below 99 and can't go above 103 degrees or they'll die.

21 day incubation.

warped04":24h20m81 said:
i haven't hatched in a long time, usually been buying them already hatched. The humidity is not supposed to be too high in the beginning because it will hurt the developing chicks but needs to be high in the end to help them break the shell.

I'd just go for it and realize your success rate might not be 100%. Remember hens do it without gauges and they make it work. I know that you can't drop below 99 and can't go above 103 degrees or they'll die.

21 day incubation.

Noted. Thanks.

I run mine at 99.5 with 40% humidity until day19. Bump humidity up to 65-70% on day 19. Make sure your eggs are turned each day. I use an app on my phone called Hatch a Batch as it sets up reminders for you.

slick4591":21yv70nl said:
I run mine at 99.5 with 40% humidity until day19. Bump humidity up to 65-70% on day 19. Make sure your eggs are turned each day. I use an app on my phone called Hatch a Batch as it sets up reminders for you.

All the literature for this thing has long since been lost. The thermometer has an arrow pointing to 99.5. Common sense told me to hold at that, but the net is all over the place. Some sources said add a wet sponge, and some did not. I think as I get near the end, I will put a sponge in. Thanks.

There should be 2 rings molded in the inside bottom of the incubator. Fill the smaller one with water until 2 days before hatching then fill the larger ring also.

dun":2x4opx9z said:
There should be 2 rings molded in the inside bottom of the incubator. Fill the smaller one with water until 2 days before hatching then fill the larger ring also.

Your right. There are. Thanks.

warped04":1nvlpyg9 said:
Humidity solved. I know the temps are right. So you should be good. I had forgotten about the turning.

What are you hatching?

Some mixed breed bantam eggs. Lady is keeping 4 dozen eggs out for me. Should have them by Wednesday.

I made basket that a number of eggs could be placed in with the small end down. To turn them you just flip the basket from side to side. When you're doing a lot of eggs it sure saves time. I also put a small x on one side so I can tell if one has slipped in the basket. Or if I am doing them in multiple batches I write the setting date on one side with a pencil

Yeah, temp at 99-100 , and the water for humidity up to the ring then increase (usually it's double) 2-3 days before hatch. Turn the eggs at least twice a day as you figure the hen is turning them 3-5 times a day just as she moves a little. We turn morning and night. Keeps the embryo from "sticking" to the side of the shell. We use x's on the shell but whatever works. In the ones with the motorized turner they are turned much more frequently. Once you up the humidity on day 19, close the incubator and do not open and do not turn the eggs. Make sure they have enough room so that the chicks can pip eggs and get out. We take the eggs out of the auto turner and just lay them flat for the last 2-3 days. Due to our crazy work schedules we went to the auto turner, so we get chicks from the purebred show birds. I still try to set the hens whenever I can.

A couple of people mentioned marking the eggs. If you do that, be sure to use a pencil. I used a Marks-a-lot on some back about 30 years ago. That didn't turn out well.

Latest posts