Increase legnth

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy":2yrdfk72 said:
http://www.schaffangusvalley.com/epd.html?reg=15707145

sav providence
We have a son out of him good bull. Providence would get frostbite up here though,if you know what I mean ;-)

How many extra ribs do you want to the bull to add to your calves? Honest question - how else do you add "length"?

See the thread about the "How about this bull" -might be the same question asked in a different way. We cannot add "length" but we can breed for poor angles on legs and hips. Sort of a pick the malformed effort. Then the cattle or livestock are skewed on bone angles and joints will not hold up. Poor tracking is a dead give away. Run, Johnny, Run! He's been inadvertently selected for poor structure.

Think optic illusion.

Ebenezer":3pek64g5 said:
How many extra ribs do you want to the bull to add to your calves?
Honest question - how else do you add "length"?
Carcass length. An obvious example would be to compare the carcass length of a Highland steer to a Holstein steer.
Same number of ribs in both, but a holstein's larger, longer skeleton adds several inches.
Werner War Party would be an example of an angus sire who's offspring are longer than breed average.

Yes, think Tour of Duty for one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjAjVJXZWSc

I've recently been shopping and looking at bulls myself, and bought one, but it's yet to be seen if he will work. I want a little longer bull myself. The yearlings I've looked at, that the length I liked really good, seemed to have times when they couldn't/wouldn't hold their top line. At rest, relaxed, their top line would sag. Some a little, some a lot. Idk if that is a weak top line, because under power they would hold level and move out real nice, but I have to wonder if that swayback at rest will create a problem over time, or is a sign of future problems? My old bull is long and his length has not caused him any problems, 8 yo.

Son of Butch":1jpvgfka said:
Ebenezer":1jpvgfka said:
How many extra ribs do you want to the bull to add to your calves?
Honest question - how else do you add "length"?
Carcass length. An obvious example would be to compare the carcass length of a Highland steer to a Holstein steer.
Same number of ribs in both, but a holstein's larger, longer skeleton adds several inches.
Werner War Party would be an example of an angus sire who's offspring are longer than breed average.
With proper structure on both breeds, the Holstein would also be proportionally taller.

Extra length bulls: are they structurally correct? Do they add or subtract from cow (daughter) longevity? Are they easier or harder keeping? How much money do they make extra?

Example: War Party bull: MM +41, $E -23, YH + 0.7, MW + 28, MH + 0.5 Calves from this bull should quickly develop an ear to hear the feed truck coming down the hill. His offspring should look different as he is an outlier of the Angus breed on the high milk and terminal end (left tip of the bell curve). Good for the feedlot. Not so good for the pasture. I can picture a herd of his "long" daughters out looking like rails in an average pasture. As an old professor used to say, "Not Good-d-d-d".

Some like a look and some like correctness and function. But we need to know which is profitable.

An "In Focus" daughter from years back.......

What an amazing top line. What an amazing wreck. Sold the entire group. Best thing that ever happened was the bull broke his leg.

Latest posts