incoming stocker calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Intervet/Schering-Plough makes one that covers Bovine Virus Diarrhea (BVD) Type 1 and Type 2, Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis (IBR), Parainfluenza3 (PI3) and Bovine Respiratory Syncytial Virus (BRSV). I'm sure there are others out there.

Buying Time

Sep 6, 2011 3:19 PM

"We buy pretty much all mismanaged cattle or something at a discount," says Jimmy Parnell of Parnell Farm (Parnell, Inc.) in Maplesville, AL. "We like to buy a calf that weighs 400 lbs., approximately a year old, that didn't get castrated or dehorned, but has some decent genetics."
That means time for managing risk comes at a premium.

Geography helps Parnell since most stocker calves in Alabama hail from the Carolinas to Florida. Metaphylaxis helps, too.

"I look at how many calves I have to pull and doctor and I look at how many die or turn into chronics," Parnell says. "I've dramatically reduced both by using Micotil® (tilmicosin injection) for metaphylaxis." With it, he achieves a typical pull rate of 10% or so on high-risk calves, up to as high as 20% depending on the set of calves. Mortality runs less than 1%.

"I learned that the added gain, as a result of bovine respiratory disease (BRD) control for the group, pays for the Micotil when you administer Micotil metaphylaxis properly," Parnell says. Typically, calves receive metaphylaxis 2-3 days after arrival. If calves appear weaker on arrival, or arrive when it's wet and muddy, Parnell administers the maximum dose of Micotil (approved for 1.5-3.0 ml/cwt.).

On arrival, calves go into triangular grass traps. Being able to walk calves into the processing facility reduces cattle stress. They're dewormed, receive a four-way vaccination and a brand. After 10-14 days, cattle are castrated, dehorned and vaccinated for blackleg.

Cattle are maintained in buy-groups through the straightening out process of 30-45 days. Then they move to pastures that are mostly double-cropped – summer bermudagrass, crabgrass and dallasgrass overseeded for fall ryegrass.

But, Parnell points out, "The grass is more for cattle comfort than it is for gain." For pounds, he supplements a ration built around soybean hulls. "Free-choice mineral with Rumensin® pretty much eliminates any issues with coccidiosis," Parnell says.

Ultimately, he ships the cattle to feedyards in Kansas where he retains ownership.
"If we can get the cattle past the first week or two, we don't have many health problems," Parnell says

How would 3wt calves do on cotton seed, good hay, free choice minerals, and rye/rye grass clover mix? Would you need to feed some other kind of feed?

circlew":1yjh7978 said:
How would 3wt calves do on cotton seed, good hay, free choice minerals, and rye/rye grass clover mix? Would you need to feed some other kind of feed?

i've never had a problem with feeding cotton seed
they don't take to it well to begin with but they come around pretty quick.
limit feeding it especially to begin with so they don't scour.
after they adjust to it i would not feed any more than about 1# per head per day on 3 wts(2.5#'s on big calves)
the only problem is cotton seed around here is nearly 400.00 a ton.

i would say you'd get a good gain, but if the rye grass is adequate there may not be a need for anything else or atleast cost productive.

I haven't priced any cotton seed this year but last year it was 250 a ton. cross_7 what would you start them out on? I was told by a couple of guys who run a small stocker operation that they plant rye then rye grass. The rye for early grazing and the rye grass for late grazing.

circlew":1ix8oxdg said:
I haven't priced any cotton seed this year but last year it was 250 a ton. cross_7 what would you start them out on? I was told by a couple of guys who run a small stocker operation that they plant rye then rye grass. The rye for early grazing and the rye grass for late grazing.

i haven't bought any 3 wts in years.
i like to have wheat pasture, good grass hay and medicated calf starter.
one of the problems (for me anyway) was getting them to eat.
if they won't eat they go down hill pretty quick.
i have less trouble with 5wts but probably could make more money on lighter cattle, maybe or maybe not.
death loss sure cuts into your bottom line.

EDIT
i forgot i did buy ten light weight heifers awhile back from a freind that manages the sale barn.
they split the pairs and he bought the calves and he was going to keep them but decided against it(drought)
so he sold them to me, but he had already straightened them out, so i had no problems.
from time to time you can pick up a few dried out calves at the sale barn but you have to set thru a lot of sales.

sorry i have a loose tongue at times.
i'd like to hear more from the people that do this everyday for a living.

Thanks cross_7. I've never bought calves before. Always wanted to try it but have been too scared. Thought about trying this year with 5 or 10 then going up every year, may try to hold my calves off my cows over next fall when I would normally sale and run them till March.

Lane":1df95lvp said:
I have to agree with you about maybe holding back on the Draxxin and using
for pulls. I have visited with my vet supply about several drugs and decided
Excede was another choice. I am not sure I am sold on metaphylaxis at all.
3 years ago I used Nuflor and had a small wreck, last year I used Draxxin and
had few pulls, this year more. I am considering just using an internasal upper
respiratory drug, worming and turning out in the traps. Then wait a few
weeks and go ahead and begin regular vaccinations and other work. What
are your thoughts? I am not worried about the money as much as having to
repen the calves so much. I think it would be easier on my help -- and way
cheaper in the long run as divorce could be expensive!(my wife is my help).

We do handle the cattle quietly. I am the only one that pens them along with
one very good dog. I bring the cattle from the shade end of my traps twice
daily and they never get out of a walk. I feed on grass with 12' wheeled feeders
and build a ration that is 14.5% protein, 5% fat, 16% crude fiber. It consists of
corn gluten feed, full-fat protein meal (ground, cooked soybeans), cottonseed
hulls, and grain screening pellets- (80% corn, 10% soybeans, 10% wheat/milo).
Calves are usually all eating by about day 5. I also feed bermuda grass hay free-
choice. I might say also, that I hold about 70 head/5 ac.

How quick do you give blackleg vacc.? I am told that this is pretty hard on
calves. What do you give pulls if you have to go past Draxxin? How many times
do you pull before "throwing in the towel"? Thanks in advance.

lane
i'd like hear about any changes you've made since this post.

Howdyjabo":2nhq2t84 said:
Ignore him Lane-- I am feeding for alot less than you are. With great weight gains.
But that doesn't count the money I spent for infrastructure to store/ make use of cheaper local by products :)
Even with those costs added in I'm still pretty low- otherwise I would be out of business.

If you are going to feed calves profitably year in and year out you either need good grazing(which I don't have) or you need to be creative and educated on how to make use of that creativity.

PS-- I would LOVE to get ahold of some crawfish waste to feed-I hear its good if you have enough head to feed it up fast(doesn't store well). And your neighbors might not like you much if you did try and store it :) And a little oyster shell would save me from having to add limestone :)
Sorry Jabo. You fail once again. Have you priced oyster shell lately compared to calcium carbonate? Hardly a bargain even if you buy a truckload. Have you ever fed crawfish shells? There's a reason people don't. There's junk. You might want to check into Crustacean MEAL (not hulls) or shrimp meal but get your checkbook out. If you're making cheap feed even with by-products today you're doing a better job of purchasing than 99.9% of the feeders in the country. There are no bargains but a few are Less expensive than others. And by all means figure in the cost of your storage facilities, your equipment and shrinkage.

Lane":ce29ww8k said:
When someone pokes me I jump, when someone continues to poke me I respond.
I stated facts, and he seems to question my honesty so I answered his questions.
If he had a dog in this hunt I might have responded differently, but he wasn't
offering advise. If he or anyone else shows me a better way I will try it, but that
wasn't the case.

Lane
If it works for you by all means don't stop. I'm just staying those same ingredients have not worked for some people I know that tried them in larger operations. Elevator dust is elevator dust regardless of the form or the enhanced name you apply to it.

nta-1.gif

this thread has lots of useful information.
now it's turned into a pizzing contest.
i like to learn from other peoples experiences that do this everyday for a living and not part time.
i wish a mod would delete negative comments

cross_7":1o3jr1v4 said:
i like to learn from other peoples experiences that do this everyday for a living and not part time.
If everyone agreed all the time on everything we could shut the board down. It would have no purpose.

TexasBred":34rway6d said:
cross_7":34rway6d said:
If everyone agreed all the time on everything we could shut the board down. It would have no purpose.

texasbred i like you and i know from your post over the last few years that i've been here you know your business.
whether the figures on the cost of gain were correct or not had nothing to do with the receiving calves, vaccinations, doctoring and etc.
i saw no point to dispute a man's word or to call karen(howdyjabo) out, there was no benefit in it.
it went from a civil conversation to your a liar and you don't jack chit.(around here both would get you an azz whooping)
agian nothing agianst you, were still freinds i just liked hearing from others without the drama

texasbred i like you and i know from your post over the last few years that i've been here you know your business.
whether the figures on the cost of gain were correct or not had nothing to do with the receiving calves, vaccinations, doctoring and etc.
i saw no point to dispute a man's word or to call karen(howdyjabo) out, there was no benefit in it.
it went from a civil conversation to your a liar and you don't jack chit.(around here both would get you an azz whooping)
agian nothing agianst you, were still freinds i just liked hearing from others without the drama

Sorry Cross....mean no harm to anyone. Only stating "facts". Sometimes they hurt. If you're going to hackle up and want to fight everytime someone corrects you or disagrees with you then you have a problem. Jabo advised the man "Ignore it". One person giving bad advice referencing back to "good advice". The remarks she made about the oyster shell and crawfish shells were stupid as well. To process the oyster shell she'll have to ask the good Lord to build a "Gizzard" into her calves. As for receiving calves, vaccines, doctoring etc. I made absolutely no comment. My experiences re: "full fat product" and Elevator dust were very different than his. But then what do I know. I love by-products and recomment them highly but "some" I never recommend nor use. I'll sit back now and let you guys enjoy your little "mutual admiration society". Best wishes in all you do. ;-)

Guess you missed my smiley faces trying to lighten up the conversation.
You are like a dog with a bone sometimes. Let it go............
And I just meant for him to ignore your growling- not your knowledge.
You can kill conversations I am enjoying when you get like that.

Howdyjabo":6549me12 said:
Guess you missed my smiley faces trying to lighten up the conversation.
You are like a dog with a bone sometimes. Let it go............
And I just meant for him to ignore your growling- not your knowledge.
You can kill conversations I am enjoying when you get like that.

Great. If you've learned then you have no need for more comments. Application is all that is then needed. ;-) (Note the wink.) Sorry I did not mean to appear to be growling.

Latest posts