Incoming Day Old Calves...Vacc. Program? Help?

Help Support CattleToday:

kerdahl

Reaction score
I have about 8-10 day old calves coming in and I am wondering if there is an "all-in-one" paste or vaccine that I could give for scours, bloat, and general diseases without vaccinating for a specific disease and shooting them up three times. I have not had calves for years now and are wondering if theres a good vacc. program out there for smaller herds....ideas? Commnets? Websites?

I wouldn;t vaccinate them the first day or 2. But I would hit them with a max dose of Nuflor as they came off the trailer. Wait until they;ve settled in and are over any potential sickness, then vaccinate. What you vaccinate for depends on what your intentions are for the calves and what is needed in your area. As was posted previously, check with your vet.

There is nothing that you can vaccinate the calf with by the time you get it, to prevent scours . Scours are the issue since they are the beginning of most bottle calf problems . I usually think of scours as coming in 3 waves, the first is the E-Coli, Salmonella phase, the second is the Rota/Carona Virus phase, and if that doesn't get him then we have crypto hitting at about 10 days . The key is to get him through the early stages in good shape so that he can continue to fight whatever challenges that come his way . The E-Coli phase will respond to antibiotics fairly well, use a systemic like Baytril, then in the milk something like Scour Halt and Vetisulid . Most important is replacement of fluids, from day one till about day ten give extra fluids between milk feedings . Feed milk 12 hours apart, use a good all milk replacer .Check for navel infections, they are easy and cheap to treat but, cause so much trouble if untreated .

Larry

Latest posts