Inbreeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

stephE

Reaction score
I have a heifer that is a really nice TC Stocmen 365 granddaughter, and I would like to breed her to TC Freedom which is a TC Stockmen 365 grandson. Would this be a bad idea and cause inbreeding and infertility? It seems like alot of angus bulls date back to TC Stockmen 365.

That would be linebreeding in my opinion, and provided that both the heifer and the bull doesn't show any faults and are superior specimens themselves, I would consider it as a wise breeding decision.

When stacking a certain animal in a pedigree there are always the chance that a recessive deletirous gene might come to the fore, and if it does just cull the resulting calf. As its not an ongoing inbred program there should be no fertility issues or inbreeding depression. Should you get a very good bull calf from this mating and if Stockman is a line which you wish to continue it will be a good bullcalf to retain for future use.

mating grand daughter to grand son is probably far enough down the not not to be a problem. Each will only get 25 percent genes from grand sire.

In breeding or line breeding usually means breeding sire to daughter, sire to grand daughter or brother and sister breeding.

Linebreeding is a good thing. If the Hereford breed would have linebred the original dwarf carriers, they would have found the problem quickly and eliminated it before it got spread to so many herds. If you do get a problem with the calf of this mating, you probably don't want anything to do with the parents anyway. At least you would know what you have as far as genetics.

I wouldn't breed father / daughter unless I was testing them for defects. That is how Angus tests to establish Genetic Defect Free bulls - 30 of those matings, I believe.

BTRANCH":1ipo0ajc said:
Can I breed a father to his daughter?

you can. the problems you might run into are inbreeding depression (slight reduction in performance, fertility, etc) and genetic defects have a good chance of rearing their heads.

if the calf produced has no defects and has good fertility, you probably have some very good genetics.

if profitability and getting money out of your cows is your main objective, i would probably skip the heavy inbreeding. if you want to know what you have and improve your genetic base, i would do it.

I don't mean to sound stupid, but you can tell by the number of posts, I am very green. I was told I could breed back 2 generations, father to daughter and then grandfather to grand daughter. I think I said that right.

If we are trying to build our herd and want to keep our heifers, then I would need a second bull to breed to the calves when they get old enough. I don't want to do that.

What are my options?

line breeding is used in some operation the only thing i would say is there is good and bad to linebreeding due to the fact that you will ethier get good calves if both animals are nice overall or get bad calve cuz the parents are bad like if there is a certain flow you want to stay away from that they have you will see it in there calves even worse

Latest posts