Inbred Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
Got a heifer by a bull AND his dam. Didn't get her separated in time to AI. Oops. She looks alright. No angus inbreeding issues that are external. She's on 3 mos, so I have not had her palpated for breeding soundness. Would you keep her and breed to Hereford for a complete outcross or can her?

If she is one that you would like to keep, then have her checked out when she is ready to be pelvic scored, vet can tell if things feel normal. I like Herefords, but I would rather breed heifers to an Angus. Since it sounds like you are doing some AI, I would try to AI her to an outcross Angus. My concern is that since she is very close bred, that the heterosis from crossing with a Hereford may yield a larger calf.

If she is one that you would like to keep, then have her checked out when she is ready to be pelvic scored, vet can tell if things feel normal. I like Herefords, but I would rather breed heifers to an Angus. Since it sounds like you are doing some AI, I would try to AI her to an outcross Angus. My concern is that since she is very close bred, that the heterosis from crossing with a Hereford may yield a larger calf.
My concern is that because she's full Angus and so closely bred that to Angus it might not go well. Other breeds you like that are common through AI services? Red Angus maybe?

My concern is that because she's full Angus and so closely bred that to Angus it might not go well. Other breeds you like that are common through AI services? Red Angus maybe?
I think a CE Red Angus would be fine. Another option would be a Longhorn, not the best option as far as hitting all the marks, but should be an easy birth, and thus the heifer should rebreed timely and then be ready to breed to whatever bull you want.