In the wrong breed.....

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Today after going to the sale auction and watching tiger stripes go for up to $0.60 more than Black Angus and brangus I've decided I got into the wrong breed. Before getting in the cattle I was told black was better, but from watching the sale today everybody was going crazy over the tiger stripes. I think I might just start switching over to Hereford cows and eventually buy a Brahman bull. I went to the auction today just a buy couple but that was out of my price range. Even when the feedlot guys walk by that pen they pointed and said there are the money makers. I run mainly black brangus right now

BK9954":2xgyv0ba said:
Today after going to the sale auction and watching tiger stripes go for up to $0.60 more than Black Angus and brangus I've decided I got into the wrong breed. Before getting in the cattle I was told black was better, but from watching the sale today everybody was going crazy over the tiger stripes. I think I might just start switching over to Hereford cows and eventually buy a Brahman bull. I went to the auction today just a buy couple but that was out of my price range. Even when the feedlot guys walk by that pen they pointed and said there are the money makers. I run mainly black brangus right now

I'll bet that 60¢ per pound premium was only for the heifers. Any bull or steer calves probably got docked almost that much. I wouldn't abandon Brangus just yet.

BK9954":55v2tov1 said:
Wrong way Brahman cows Hereford bull
If you want to avoid train wrecks. Why do you think there are so expensive?

https://www.brahman.org/wp-content/uplo ... -et-al.pdf

Caustic Burno":zasgy7o2 said:
BK9954":zasgy7o2 said:
Wrong way Brahman cows Hereford bull
If you want to avoid train wrecks. Why do you think there are so expensive?

https://www.brahman.org/wp-content/uplo ... -et-al.pdf
Unless you get a low birthweight brahman bull. The brahman cows are a little more expensive but live and produce longer then herefords. Bigger investment upfront but would probably pay more in the long run. The tigerstripes heifers are selling hot down here
. I was not impressed with any of the prices today except for the tigers. I just told myself I wasnt going over $900 per head and I couldnt stay within that price. Heck everything else took a beating. Pairs starting as low as $575. I will say I haven 1 tigerstripe and so far she has been the best cow in the herd. Summer heat my other cows are hiding under the trees and she us out grazing on the grass.

Brahman over Hereford throw behemoth bull calves makes no difference what the epd says that is just scientific fact. The American Brahman Association literally says the same thing along with Dr. Rileys research at Overton TAMU.

Caustic Burno":1h6md1pk said:
Brahman over Hereford throw behemoth bull calves makes no difference what the epd says that is just scientific fact.
The American Brahman Association literally says the same thing along with Dr. Rileys research at Overton TAMU.
IF available, would using sexed semen eliminate most of the problem?
Or are the female calves pretty extreme too?

Caustic Burno":2mngzq6w said:
Brahman over Hereford throw behemoth bull calves makes no difference what the epd says that is just scientific fact. The American Brahman Association literally says the same thing along with Dr. Rileys research at Overton TAMU.

Is there LBW bulls? I ask because the only Brahma crosses I see is Brahma bulls on either Angus or Hereford cows. Have seen one breeder in W Central OK do it for a few years. As far as I know he hasn't had any major problems. Have seen a few others use one a little. You don't see any Brahma cows in that area. Not trying to argue. Just wasn't sure if I understood what you meant or if these breeders might have been lucky.

elkwc":1tsiizhx said:
Caustic Burno":1tsiizhx said:

Is there LBW bulls? I ask because the only Brahma crosses I see is Brahma bulls on either Angus or Hereford cows. Have seen one breeder in W Central OK do it for a few years. As far as I know he hasn't had any major problems. Have seen a few others use one a little. You don't see any Brahma cows in that area. Not trying to argue. Just wasn't sure if I understood what you meant or if these breeders might have been lucky.
Not that way down this way. Most will use the hereford bull on brahman, angus, charolais.... whatever.

elkwc":2o12ahbh said:
Caustic Burno":2o12ahbh said:

Plenty of data that says otherwise this is from the Brahman association and TAMU. Two bulls I pulled the most dead calves was Brahman and Char.
Read page 9 on the link I posted on the NY brimmer thread or here.http://oaktrust.library.tamu.edu/bitstr ... sequence=2
Now you have my 2 cents from a guy that got his first brimmer 50 years ago.

Chasing smoke will get you no where . buy the time you get heifers ready to market there is likely some other breed that will be hot at the moment. Breed what you want and stick to your plan . like you said today they were 60 cent higher so today would be when you should market them. Tigers have always brought a little more but I can assure you 2 yrs down the road your gonna see something else being a premium and what are you gonna do them chase that fad.

M-5":2hnh9qey said:
Chasing smoke will get you no where . buy the time you get heifers ready to market there is likely some other breed that will be hot at the moment. Breed what you want and stick to your plan . like you said today they were 60 cent higher so today would be when you should market them. Tigers have always brought a little more but I can assure you 2 yrs down the road your gonna see something else being a premium and what are you gonna do them chase that fad.
Switch bulls. Brahma heifers bring pretty good money as well. Guess its either a Texas or Southern thing.

Caustic Burno":34dd1aco said:
What about an F-1 bull on F-1 cows. Any one know how that works out? Does the hereford face lose its dominance?

M-5":178yb9oh said:

2 years ago, 10 years ago, 30 years ago, and 2 years from now tigerstripe Braford heifers and cows bring a premium price. It's not a fad or fluke. A live calf every year is how you make money.

BK9954":2amnfotg said:
Caustic Burno":2amnfotg said:
What about an F-1 bull on F-1 cows. Any one know how that works out? Does the hereford face lose its dominance?

That is opening Pandora's box on what pops out.

JWBrahman":1psi2vqy said:
M-5":1psi2vqy said:

2 years ago, 10 years ago, 30 years ago, and 2 years from now tigerstripe Braford heifers and cows bring a premium price. It's not a fad or fluke. A live calf every year is how you make money.

I agree. Tigers have been popular and will be popular going forward. The only thing that consistently brings higher is straight Brahman because it is the first ingredient in most cattle recipes.

The higher price you receive for an F1 heifer will more than make up for any dock on her bull counterpart even if sold at weaning. Across the board your average calf price will be higher.

Tigers will always out sell any other cow or heifer here in Texas. Great mommas and raise big calves. It is also easy to get whatever color calf you want. If you want red and white put a Hereford on her if you want black put Angus on her and if you want yellow put a Char on her.

TexasBred":o4dlqlmp said:
Last tiger I had I kept her three years. Took that long to get her in a corral and then into a trailer.
The one I have is one of the smartest cows I have but fairly easy to work. I have to be gentle with her. Any quick sudden moves she can get a little skittish. A few times she has run out of the corral when I went around to lock them in while feeding, but she is for the most part fairly tame. Doesnt mind being alone too much. She is penned up in a small patch of green right now with electric, about to calve. She knows the routine. She was the first one to be bred by my virgin bull, glad too, she can handle a calf better then most.

TexasBred":3nlurpwp said:
Last tiger I had I kept her three years. Took that long to get her in a corral and then into a trailer.
But I did see one tiger almost make it over the outside wall of the holding pens at the auctions. Scared the heck out of the guys standing there. They jumped about 4 feet back.

Latest posts