In my prime

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgal

Reaction score
I would like to know what you think about when or if cows or bulls have a prime in their breeding lives. Do cows produce their best offspring in a certain age range? What about bulls? Are there exceptions for some great older cows or 1st calf heifers? Is it all relative to genes and management? Is there any research to look to on this subject? Thank you all for your thougts and time.

I would like to know what you think about when or if cows or bulls have a prime in their breeding lives. Do cows produce their best offspring in a certain age range?
I believe the prime age range is 4-8. That's why there are age adjustments when calculating 205 day weights. That way you can compare young new cows against old ones.
What about bulls?
If you're talking about their offspring - a young sperm has same genetics as an old one. I have never used a bull natural service before this past year, so I can't answer that one.
Are there exceptions for some great older cows or 1st calf heifers? Is it all relative to genes and management? Is there any research to look to on this subject?
Always exceptions - & genes & management always have greatest influence on everything.

I think so on the cow end. I agree with 4-8 years. The older a cow is and her ability to digest food and to overall take care of herself and the calf usually goes down with age.(My opinion).