In like a Lion

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Wait the lion isn't leaving. I drove out to feed and 60 cows say someone is ringing the dinner bell. Fed over by the river on the area we call the gravel bar. They won't make much mud over there. One new calf this morning. He was all dried off and getting breakfast so I left the tow of them to their fun. A tan calf with a white tail out of a black cow and I am sure a Charolais bull.

P3273086.JPGP3273087.JPG

Looks about the same here only there's 3 foot of snow on the ground along with the fresh snow falling.
We haven't had a snow build up this winter. It snows and later that day or a day later it is gone. About a day of bare ground and it snows again. Our first snow was November 4. It has been doing it ever since. Our winter storm warning didn't amount to much. It is just sloppy and wet now.

It would be nice if a few more from the Deep South posted pictures to warm us up…………
There is a sign along the freeway a few miles north of here marking the 45th parallel. I am south of that line so that makes me a southerner. I will build a fire and take a picture of it to warm you up.

We're basically on the 38th parallel, which according to some makes us in the Mecca for year around grazing. Haven't been able to pull that one off yet.

Been wide open all week putting out fertilizer on hay ground and pasture. Got up to 37 degrees this am . Upper 70's Monday and now 30's ; welcome to northeast Alabama.

No pictures, but my lawn needs mowing (again) and gardens have been planted in this area. A thunderstorm rolled thru just to the NW of us last night and we got a splattering of rain but were able to watch a tremendous lightning show. Water temp in my unheated swimming pool is 79 deg F.

No pictures, but my lawn needs mowing (again) and gardens have been planted in this area. A thunderstorm rolled thru just to the NW of us last night and we got a splattering of rain but were able to watch a tremendous lightning show. Water temp in my unheated swimming pool is 79 deg F.
Nothing is 79 degrees here. In the living room with a good fire in the wood stove and the fan on it is 71 degrees. The other end of the house in the laundry room/bathroom/back porch it is 68. It looks to be about 35 degrees outside so it is above freezing this morning.

Couple days ago we had -31 C in the morning. There'll be a few short eared calves. We were colder than the North Pole that day. Checked the weather at the South Pole and was -45C so that made me feel better. Today it's supposed to get to 0C. Gonna be T shirt weather for us Canadians.

Couple days ago we had -31 C in the morning. There'll be a few short eared calves. We were colder than the North Pole that day. Checked the weather at the South Pole and was -45C so that made me feel better. Today it's supposed to get to 0C. Gonna be T shirt weather for us Canadians.
Are you up around Meadow Lake?

It would be nice if a few more from the Deep South posted pictures to warm us up…………
Starting to green up here pretty good.
Lots of calves hitting the ground.

Attachments

• FEA3ED4A-8A62-40D4-87F9-175BC77761C0.jpeg
    FEA3ED4A-8A62-40D4-87F9-175BC77761C0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 13C84732-7ECB-4690-B1CA-40BE1D074A08.jpeg
    13C84732-7ECB-4690-B1CA-40BE1D074A08.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
My garden hoses to fill water tubs have been frozen every morning this month.. ground is thawed and the days are warm but sure cools off at night.. found the first buttercups yesterday.. like 3 weeks late

Tex452, I have always like those brockle face cows. For whatever reason, they always seemed to mother better than anything else. But ya sure better give 'em their space when a calf is beside them.....
Starting to green up here pretty good.
Lots of calves hitting the ground.

Latest posts