In For a Surprise

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
There's a roughly 11 acre tract that joins my rent pasture. I've been running cattle on it for years in exchange for keeping it mowed. It recently sold and I met the new owner. This is in southern Grimes County. It's sand a foot or so deep, and then clay. It has a good stand of bahia grass, with a few goat weeds. He disced up the whole place, and told me he plans to plant bermuda grass (I think he said Jiggs, but it doesn't matter). I told him the bahia grass might give him some problems, but he said something like "Enough fertilizer will take care of that." Evidently he mistook the bahia for grassburs. Anyway, I didn't reply to that. I suspect he also hasn't seen how goat weeds likes disturbed soil.

I wish him the best of luck, but I'm afraid he's in for a rude awakening.

It has been more than a year since I went through the White Hall area. Lots of small tracts since I lived there in the late 80's.

If he didn't spray to kill bahia before he disked, he will have a tough time. That V seed head stands for it is winning.

Rafter S":3rq2q5ll said:
There's a roughly 11 acre tract that joins my rent pasture. I've been running cattle on it for years in exchange for keeping it mowed. It recently sold and I met the new owner. This is in southern Grimes County. It's sand a foot or so deep, and then clay. It has a good stand of bahia grass, with a few goat weeds. He disced up the whole place, and told me he plans to plant bermuda grass (I think he said Jiggs, but it doesn't matter). I told him the bahia grass might give him some problems, but he said something like "Enough fertilizer will take care of that." Evidently he mistook the bahia for grassburs. Anyway, I didn't reply to that. I suspect he also hasn't seen how goat weeds likes disturbed soil.

I wish him the best of luck, but I'm afraid he's in for a rude awakening.

Bahia wins in East Texas he will go broke trying to keep it in coastal

Sounds like our neighbor.. First time we met them they said "Oh, we figured it all out in 10 minutes"

Daym... 27 years here and I still don't know where all the rocks are in the field.

Meanwhile he's been trying to make compost out of old hay, it's been in a pile that he's turned every once in a while.. it's been about 4 years and it still looks like hay

"(I think he said Jiggs, but it doesn't matter)." May have said Sprigs, like sprigging Coastal Bermuda. On soil I tried all my life to get away from Houston Black Clay but either it follows me around or vice versa. Bermuda of any kind seems to like it.

Well this fall I got my attitude "Coup de grâce" when I planted my winter hay/pea crop and for 2 months the only rain was one shower occurring about one week after planting. Peas are about 2" now and rye is over 4.

BC":vzwfo2q2 said:
If he didn't spray to kill bahia before he disked, he will have a tough time. That V seed head stands for it is winning.

No, he didn't spray. And I really like that "V for Victory". I hadn't heard that before.

Latest posts