In desperate need of shade areas...

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller":87ea9q41 said:
My last statement is what has made me question shade. The cows in the picture are actually in shade at times but I see them huddled up like I said. That leads me to believe if your going to only have a small amount of shade then there's no point in doing it. You need enough for them to all get into it with some space for air flow between them. What say you?

Ron that looks like more of the alabama math.

I agree with you on the spacing. I have cow heaven here. On the back of my farm is a deep holler with a nice creek and lots of big trees. Sycamore, walnut, oak, maple, etc. No crowding. It must be 15 degrees cooler back there than out in the sun up on the ridges.

96b7zp.jpg

34hdsug.jpg

If you don't need a real large area of shade, most of these metal building supply house have a carport package. They are cheap because they have lots of competition. I would use a little heavier column than what they come with but for the roof, they are the way to go for a structure that stays in one place.

inyati13":eqa5rpiz said:
Craig
First, you stated...the cows huddle up on top of each other....

I have never seen that. Only when they are in estrus have I seen them on top of each other. ;-)

Second, I don't tell you what to believe so bear with me.

I am a Bovidist. I believe in an after life in which cows will be the masters. I am trying to treat mine to what ever they want so my street in the after life will be paved with gold instead of cow manure.

Now you know we aren't allowed to discuss religion on here. Don't go getting clinches post deleted.

Craig Miller":3k77s8ss said:
inyati13":3k77s8ss said:
Craig
First, you stated...the cows huddle up on top of each other....

I have never seen that. Only when they are in estrus have I seen them on top of each other. ;-)

Second, I don't tell you what to believe so bear with me.

I am a Bovidist. I believe in an after life in which cows will be the masters. I am trying to treat mine to what ever they want so my street in the after life will be paved with gold instead of cow manure.

Now you know we aren't allowed to discuss religion on here. Don't go getting clinches post deleted.

The best part of our mortal existence: humor. I got that from my mom. She lived 93 years and laughed her way through all of it.

TennesseeTuxedo":3mi52jhq said:
I like knowing that our cattle have access to plenty of shade in all of our pastures. If they choose to ignore it it's up to them.

X2! And in the case of a down cow or stupid heifer that's "hidden" her calf in the middle of the pasture with no shade, for a temporary fix we park a Polaris next to them & stick a bunch of golf umbrellas in the utility holes.

Triadica sebifera, also known as Sapium sebiferum, is commonly known as the Chinese tallow, a deciduous tree to 16 mm (52 ft), has a fast rate of growth maturing in 3-5 years. The tree flowers in spring, sets fruit in late-summer and early fall with an average of 100,000 per tree.

:hide:

A portable T structure would work. A roof with a single wall down the middle lengthwise. They have shade on either side when the sun is overhead and shade on one side when the sun is low in either the est or the west the rest of the time.

bird dog said car ports this is one had buit last winter

cost includeing stone aprox 9000 30x41 /12ft highlegs aprox 14 ft in center

bird dog":1rwkzfx3 said:
If you don't need a real large area of shade, most of these metal building supply house have a carport package. They are cheap because they have lots of competition. I would use a little heavier column than what they come with but for the roof, they are the way to go for a structure that stays in one place.

Large outfit nearby uses them. The little base size ones . I would guess 12 x20 I think you can get one set up for around 700.00
They use several when grazing their Hay fields.
They have them set up on heavy 4" square pipe skids so they can be moved. They string them out maybe 100 foot apart across the field and move them from time to time. Drive t post on each corner to anchor em to.

Thats a good idea putting them on skids and using T posts for anchors. Thats how I do my calf shelter. At 12 x 20 they would also move thru a gate.

Set them up over a cruddy piece of ground where you need some nutrients. Let the cows do their thing and move them after a couple weeks. Run a disc over the area to break up the compaction and throw out a few seeds. A small area of pasture renovation.

greybeard":1mjfdtda said:
Triadica sebifera, also known as Sapium sebiferum, is commonly known as the Chinese tallow, a deciduous tree to 16 mm (52 ft), has a fast rate of growth maturing in 3-5 years. The tree flowers in spring, sets fruit in late-summer and early fall with an average of 100,000 per tree.

:hide:

For years I have wanted to run an ad up North in one of the magazines such as Parade.
" Fast growing shade tree with beautiful canopy. $4.95 ea.+S&H"
Discounts for larger qty's. :idea:

I brought one of the dadgum things (Chinese tallowtree) back from AL with me one time - and yeah, I knew what it was... thought better of it, and was gonna throw it in the trash, but a co-worker in town talked me out of it. It grew for 3 or 4 years in her backyard... got about 10 ft tall... never bloomed(thank goodness)... then a good KY winter killed it to the ground. I thought it was stone cold dead... but about 3 years later, after they cut it flush with the ground, it threw up another shoot... but that winter took it out for good. Yea!

I've got about 4 paddocks with no shade in them. 3 have substantial 'water holes' that they can at least stand in if it's too hot.
Started planting some fast-growing trees - red mulberry, catalpa, pecan along the fencelines several years back, but even with tree shelters and temporary hot fence around them, it's hard to keep the dadgum cows from destroying them. Looks like the catalpas are gonna be the most successful... cows don't seem to like their taste.

We started out going to the MO Grazing Schools, back in the early 1990s... Jim Gerrish and crew swore that cows don't need shade... and that fertility will move from the pasture to the trees if you provide it... but I'm not convinced that they're right about the not needing shade part.

Mine don't get shade in most fields.. I've lost one to what I'm going to guess was heat stroke.. she lost cud and that was it, she was a real underdog, and I'm guessing the bossy cows hogged the water all day just standing there. Last year temps were up over 100F in the shade from may to september, cows were fine with it... Come winter they grow a decent coat of hair and they can stand out there in the cold just fine as long as they have a full belly... wet is far worse than cold.

Anyhow, you want to give them shade? Get some used ginseng shadecloth.. the stuff is indestructible, we bought 10 acres of it for $1000 at an auction, 24'x240' tarps with good eyelets, weighs about 150lbs each, you can use it on a trampoline it's that tough.. 80% shade. I bet 40 years can be had from it.. the stuff we have is 20 years old and doesn't show any sign of age

It is simple. When I am hot from working or playing in the sun, I seek the shelter of shade. Cows respond in the same way.

I got shade. The cows use it. Maybe they would not die without it. I am glad they have shade.

I didn't read all three pages so I might be repeating something.
In the South they have to have shade.
If you can't fence in a area with some then do some shade like gizmon pictured of do a open sided pole shed. Build it all to catch a breeze.
Can be built out of utility poles and old tin if need be.

I can donate you some Eastern Red Cedars they grow fast and spread like wild fire. Trim off the lower branches and they are good shade and winter weather breaks and sure will help with the flies. That said I hate them and will only leave a few males, very few, but I have no need for shade we have plenty hard wood and lots of Pecan trees.

This was last week in Nebraska. Finished steers. It was that heat wave last week. Lots of humidity.
2vi5hyf.jpg
[/quote]

I wonder if they would have had a little Brahman in them and not been black if it would have helped ??? I know what the answers will be