In A Fog

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I'm always in a fog-- but today more so than ever... :lol:
Couldn't even see the corrals or barn early this morning- waited til about 9 to do chores thinking it would lift...

When I went out to feed couldn't see many of the cows- but as I rolled out a bale- and honked the horn- they came appearing out of the pea soup..
Oct-nov09001.jpg

Looking back at the yard- things appeared a little frosty...
Oct-nov09002.jpg

There has been some discussion on the boards about how folks winter their replacement heifers- and heres how I do mine...This came about by necessity a few years ago- when I still lotted and fed the heifers separate- but the snow got so deep I couldn't get into the lots for days- so just turned the heifers out with the cows...They did great- still reached the 750 or so breeding weight I wanted- took off good on grass- had a good breed up- seemed to socialize better with the older cows(not acting like nosey yearlings running fencelines and stuff).....So I just started wintering with the cows- like we used to years ago... I haven't done it long enough to make any judgements on longevity- but know I've had less feet problems- and less opens during 2nd and 3rd calving..

A couple of the coming yearling heifers with some older cows...The one standing broadside in the center of the picture is WCR Mary 845U coming 2 year old Bannon of Wye daughter I bought last year..Hopefully she is bred to OCC Magnitude...
Oct-nov09004.jpg

Lazy Bar B Leinie- a Bannon 730T daughter.. No ears- and not much tail- but it doesn't seem to be affecting her ability to grow out....
Oct-nov09008.jpg

A couple of coming yearling Prime Time D806 daughters..
Oct-nov09007.jpg

A D806 steer calf- that also lost his ear and part of his tail last winter- but also apparently froze a tendon- as he has a little gimp...Decided to keep him and run on grass next summer and put in the freezer rather than have the buyers steal him...
Oct-nov09006.jpg

Bannon of Wye daughter on the left- Bannon granddaughter on the right...
Oct-nov09005.jpg

That's ugly fog but you need to see the Tule fog in CA central valley. Only place I've seen that you drive at an idle with the door open and looking between the door and the door sill to see the line on the road.

In a recent Kit Pharo Newsletter, I believe that he said that he might not be weaning his heifer calves at all, just leaving them on the cows all winter.

KMacGinley":1dry7bgk said:
In a recent Kit Pharo Newsletter, I believe that he said that he might not be weaning his heifer calves at all, just leaving them on the cows all winter.

I lot them at weaning for about three weeks....Have all the good hay they can get-plus a stress tub (found its cut sick ones almost to nil)- and walk thru them twice daily bucketing them a few pellets just to get them calmed down good (most will follow you all over after you turn them out)-- then turn them out on the hay meadows...Bring the cows in later when I have to take them off pasture....

Easiest, low input (lazy) way for me- and it seems to work fine with them....

Thanks for the pictures. At least with Angus cows, you can find them in that pea soup. :D

dun":2kkg76in said:
That's ugly fog but you need to see the Tule fog in CA central valley. Only place I've seen that you drive at an idle with the door open and looking between the door and the door sill to see the line on the road.
Dunn, I drove on old 99 many miles in the fog.
Tom.

kerley":1mrmyk0y said:
dun":1mrmyk0y said:
Dunn, I drove on old 99 many miles in the fog.
Tom.
Certainly does keep the old sphincter tight!

Only thing bad about this fog is that I was reminded today at the salebarn of the oldtimers - "moisture 90 days after the fog"- which probably means a snow storm about the middle of March when the cows are supposed to start calving... :eek:

Looks thick enough to be freezing fog - did it glaze up your truck windows? It can glaze up the roads too but looks like you have deep enough snow that the fog couldn't touch pavement.

KMacGinley":2btqh1bm said:
sounds like my neighbor, only he dont send out no letters