In a field near me..

Help Support CattleToday:

angie1

Reaction score
What do you think these are? Kid I talked to said his grandpa got them at an exotic animal sale in Missouri, said the bull is 2,800 lbs. Said people stop by often to see them, not often you see "ears" of any kind in Mn. so they are kind of a freak show. He told me they are a breed from India. These are the only ones he has, had another cow and calf but lost them ~ kid said it was just too cold. Imagine that....

SDC125982.jpg

SDC125992.jpg

They kinda look like Gir or Gyr to me, especially the cow/calf pair. From the picture the bulls ears look a little short though. The breed is from India and was used in the development of the Brahman. I know a guy that has a few here in Florida, they are pretty cool looking.

They are not Gyr ~ that was my guess as well. The kid said his grandpa has a few of those as well, but they were not visible from the pasture I was at. I did ask what he paid for the bull and the kid said it was just shy of $6,000 :shock: . He could not remember the breed name for these guys.

That's just only favorite breed. But i think they maybe Indu Brazil my spelling maybe off. But the bull just looks like a speckled brahman bull.

angie":3gxbxdye said:
They are not Gyr ~ that was my guess as well. The kid said his grandpa has a few of those as well, but they were not visible from the pasture I was at. I did ask what he paid for the bull and the kid said it was just shy of $6,000 :shock: . He could not remember the breed name for these guys.
The ears and color are sort of Gyr like but the horns are wrong. The bull looks like a generic Brahman to me

townfarmer":70pxp67q said:
But i think they maybe Indu Brazil

I agree. They look similar to the cattle in this link: http://www.mccd.us/Indu Brazil Zebu.htm

Andrew
Look at the ear.
Big question for me is, What do they do with these cattle in the winter in Minnesota? I cannot imagine how they would get along in your winter conditions.

texast":3314x9l7 said:
That's just only favorite breed. But i think they maybe Indu Brazil my spelling maybe off. But the bull just looks like a speckled brahman bull.
bingo,,, i had a few of em at one time.... a gyrs head, is as two axe handles wide and look like all horn if he gave
6 grand for that bull he is the ultimate hobbist

Yes, phone call confirms the Indu. I am thinking they cannot be purebred, as novatech says, the ears are not long enough. I saw them out there first last summer, and was wondering what he would do with them come winter. I didn't see them all winter so I figured that they had gotten rid of them before the cold came. They showed up back in the pasture this summer. I don't know what he did with them, maybe kept them in a heated area in the barn? He has the money for it, and if you are sinking that much money into a purchase you would think you would do what you could to accomadate them. We had a pretty mild winter, not too many days below -20 (which is what I consider to be intolerable). The kid said he lost one cow and calf "due to the cold".

angie":1kxgs53c said:
Yes, phone call confirms the Indu. I am thinking they cannot be purebred, as novatech says, the ears are not long enough. I saw them out there first last summer, and was wondering what he would do with them come winter. I didn't see them all winter so I figured that they had gotten rid of them before the cold came. They showed up back in the pasture this summer. I don't know what he did with them, maybe kept them in a heated area in the barn? He has the money for it, and if you are sinking that much money into a purchase you would think you would do what you could to accomadate them. We had a pretty mild winter, not too many days below -20 (which is what I consider to be intolerable). The kid said he lost one cow and calf "due to the cold".
there is no way of knowing that by appearance only,,, that is a little to technical for these type ,, indu cattle are not that predictable...as american gray and reds are

I believe the cattle in the picture are of Gyr decent. Look at this decription of breed chararcteristics for Gyr cattle: The Gyr has a distinctive red or spotted coat to distinguish it instantly from the other types. It also has a broad and prominent forehead giving a hooded appearance to their eyes. Ears are long, slim and pendulous. Horns are curved backwards and downwards, similar to water-buffalo. The hump is very large and well-defined and sits squarely on top of the shoulders. The Gyr is considered the most docile of all Zebus having a very gentle disposition. In general, the Gyr is smaller than the Guzerat and the Nellore but its conformation is very smooth and thick, with full and round hindquarters giving it a beefy appearance. Mucous membranes, skin and switch are all black. Very well developed, full and large udders with medium sized teats make the females excellent milk-producers.

By the way, Indu-Brazil cattle were developed by crossing Gyr and Guzerat cattle.

Since the calf in the first pic has long ears I would guess that the others have short ears due to frostbite.

cowpunk'd":1dkw7ibc said:
Since the calf in the first pic has long ears I would guess that the others have short ears due to frostbite.
I can not see the bulls ears well enough to say but the cow sure does look like her ears have been frost bit
That is way to far north to raise them kind of cows.

Stocker Steve":2zr53qlv said:
Angie - are you thinking about buying in?
Gosh no, I would never raise cattle so outside of their viable environment. I actually feel sorry for them. I know how I feel in the winter :frowns: , and I was born and raised here. Even if I lived in the south, I would not have these ~ they are a breed I admire in someone elses pasture. They are beautiful for sure, and I am thinking they can fill a freezer pretty darn quick, but they are not for me and mine.

BRYANT":2mkejvso said:
I can not see the bulls ears well enough to say but the cow sure does look like her ears have been frost bit
That is way to far north to raise them kind of cows.
Very possible. Because the ears on these cattle are specifically meant to shed heat (according to the reading I have done since), the vein structure in their ears may make them especially vulnerable to frost bite. Also, I can not imagine they get the winter hair that northern cattle do. I don't know.

Latest posts